Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Knicks sign ex-Rocket Troy Williams to 10-day contract

Knicks sign ex-Rocket Troy Williams to 10-day contract

BY
    Daniel Popper

follow

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Updated: Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 10:25 AM

The Knicks have added another young and athletic player as they prepare to enter the full-fledged development phase of this rebuilding season.

Former Rocket Troy Williams has signed a 10-day contract with the Knicks, the team announced Wednesday. Williams, a 23-year-old former undrafted free agent out of Indiana, is 6-foot-7 and won the D-League slam dunk contest last season.

“We’ve got some young guys we want to get out there and have them play,” coach Jeff Hornacek said Tuesday night at the Knicks’ first practice following the All-Star break.

Williams played 30 games for the Grizzlies and Rockets in 2016-17, averaging 6.2 points and 2.3 rebounds in 18.6 minutes. But he only saw action in four NBA games for Houston this season. He averaged 19.8 points in 19 games this year for the Rockets’ G-League affiliate, the Rio Grange Valley Vipers.

Williams joins a growing group of young Knicks who will garner more playing time over the team’s final 23 games.

Point guards Frank Ntilikina, Emmanuel Mudiay and Trey Burke will all play more significant minutes, Hornacek said Tuesday night. Two-way players Isaiah Hicks and Luke Kornet will also take on larger roles in the rotation, as the Knicks are no longer in playoff contention.

Ian Begley
    ✔ @IanBegley

Troy Williams on signing with NYK: "Great opportunity, great fit. Their interest level here was a little bit higher than everybody else’s." He's hoping for an opportunity to stick with NY: "Right now my main role is just being an extra athletic guy, run the court and defend.”

1:00 PM - Feb 21, 2018
    http://www.nba.com/video/2017/07/10/...-williams-hl#/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5uxISUC4hQ

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    Well, if anyone knows the history of the Knicks....its a tough place to succeed but it can be done. It starts with being"AGGRESSIVE"....FRANK!

I'm looking for the next John Starks...

Golden State Warriors[edit]

Starks in 1996 with the New York Knicks
    Although he was passed over in the 1988 NBA draft, Starks signed with the Golden State Warriors in September 1988 as a free agent. However, as the Warriors had drafted fellow shooting guard Mitch Richmond with the fifth overall pick that year, Starks played limited minutes in only 36 games while Richmond won Rookie of the Year. Starks was cut following the end of the season.
    Other Leagues[edit]
    Starks played stints in the Continental Basketball Association (Cedar Rapids Silver Bullets, 1989–90) and World Basketball League (Memphis Rockers, 1990–91).[3]
    New York Knicks[edit]
    Starks was able to work his way back into the NBA. In 1990, he tried out for the New York Knicks. In one practice, he tried to dunk on Knicks center Patrick Ewing. Ewing threw him down and Starks twisted his knee. The team was not allowed to release him unless it healed by the end of December. When it did not heal by that time, the Knicks could not release him.[9] As a result, Starks has referred to Ewing as his saving grace. He eventually became the starting shooting guard, becoming a key player on the team and playing 8 seasons
    in New York from 1990–98. Starks was a posterchild for their physical play during that era, along with teammates Anthony Mason and Charles Oakley. He was a participant in the 1992 NBA Slam Dunk Contest.

Great Post Missing,

Posters here have been asking for athletic young potential, and even wanted players traded for it.

We pick up this young athletic guy who actually shows he has more than potential and not one post?

The John Starks stories are the greatest and players like him, even a Linsanity, he stuck because the Knicks lost not one not two but three pg's and the day he was getting cut, he got his last shot and exceeded and then some.

I know it's not fair to not play a Kanter, Q, Lee, MB, but I'm ok at this point giving them the 10 minutes, and let all the young guys play........we don't want or need the wins so this works I'd say for most fans.

Let the Kornet's, Franks, Mudiay', Trey's, Hicks, Dotson's and yes I even want to see Troy now.

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    Great Post Missing,

Posters here have been asking for athletic young potential, and even wanted players traded for it.

We pick up this young athletic guy who actually shows he has more than potential and not one post?

The John Starks stories are the greatest and players like him, even a Linsanity, he stuck because the Knicks lost not one not two but three pg's and the day he was getting cut, he got his last shot and exceeded and then some.

I know it's not fair to not play a Kanter, Q, Lee, MB, but I'm ok at this point giving them the 10 minutes, and let all the young guys play........we don't want or need the wins so this works I'd say for most fans.

Let the Kornet's, Franks, Mudiay', Trey's, Hicks, Dotson's and yes I even want to see Troy now.
    I'm excited to see what Troy's got. I posted about him right after we signed him the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfStarks View Post
    I'm excited to see what Troy's got. I posted about him right after we signed him the other day.
    yeah not sure where they got not the 1 post.. i posted it in the FA tread as soon as I saw it as well.....

Me too but c'mon you know Jeff is not going to play Troy enough to really see what he can do. Lance will still get big minutes at the 3.

oh I certainly hope Lance don't get minutes........but the knicks signed him to a 10 day contract and I don't think the FO will want to pay him 10 days to not play in the 4 games he can play in. Only way to sign him for another 10 game contract is to play him, or why bring him in?

FYI Hicks played for Westchester last night and Kornet did not, so I'm guessing Hicks may not be here.

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    oh I certainly hope Lance don't get minutes........but the knicks signed him to a 10 day contract and I don't think the FO will want to pay him 10 days to not play in the 4 games he can play in. Only way to sign him for another 10 game contract is to play him, or why bring him in?

FYI Hicks played for Westchester last night and Kornet did not, so I'm guessing Hicks may not be here.
    Hicks doesn't look like an NBA player to me.

Hicks doesn't look like an NBA player to me.
    I agree they never should have given him a two way, should have been Hayes, thought he was better.

So you guys think knicks lock up this guy for next 2 years? Last nights layup was all the convincing i needed lol

Quote Originally Posted by cheetos185 View Post
    So you guys think knicks lock up this guy for next 2 years? Last nights layup was all the convincing i needed lol
    That dude is a hyper athlete. That layup in a tight window was incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by teddygreen17 View Post
    That dude is a hyper athlete. That layup in a tight window was incredible.
    He's upgraded version of lance thomas and yea that layup was the best thing I have seen since KP posterized love and lma.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cheetos185; 02-23-2018 at 01:34 PM.

I'm actually glad he got some burn, but that came from the FO for sure because Knicks need to see him to tell if he warrants another 10 day contract.

I think he's well worth the risk and we give him an invite to summer league, let him have Lee's minutes, we know what Lee can do, not all the minutes but maybe 10-15 and we may just get lucky.

Worse case is next year you give him Hicks two way contract, I don't think Hicks is making the NBA at this point.

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    That layup was sweet. I thought he was going to dunk it from the baseline the way he drove past the defender and exploded to the rim. I think he will be able to get behind the defense for some alley hoop dunks.....dude got hops.

Its still Knox or Sexton for me, they will both be difference makers..

Trea Young scares me, Sexton shut him down and was talking sh** to him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast