Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Soshnikov to the Blues for a 2019 4th

Roster spot open.

About right. better than Robidas island.

We signed Soshnikov from the KHL, correct? A free 4th is nice. Still think Soshnikov can be a good piece for a team.

Glad he gets to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    We signed Soshnikov from the KHL, correct? A free 4th is nice. Still think Soshnikov can be a good piece for a team.
    Free 4th is the way I look at it too. Plus the guy can't seem to stay healthy. Leivo might be next.

Opens up a spot to trade an asset for a D or to possibly call up someone from the Marlies if Ryan McD gets dealt to the 6.

Where did all this McDonagh hype come from? I know Friedman and Kyper mentioned it on HNIC but i saw that more as promo/hype for their deadline coverage. The Rangers want an absolute haul for him and the Leafs likely don't get close without Nylander or Marner. Even a Kapanen+Liljegren+1st deal could be beat by Tampa imo. I don't even see the motivation to get him because we are loaded on the left side and McDonagh would reek havoc on our cap in 2 years.

IMO, i think Boston is way more likely to trade for McDonagh. And Tampa is more likely to target Karlsson. I don't see anyway the Leafs are able to land one of these guys without moving Nylander or Marner. I think any talk of the Leafs being interested in McDonagh are a way to drive up the price. I don't see the fit.

People need to understand that McDonagh isn't the same player he was 2 years ago either. You don't just throw valuable assets away for a player just because of his name. People are getting a little crazy with expectations for this team. They were 30th two years ago. Weren't even supposed to make the playoffs last year. You don't go from that to a Stanley Cup this year. Calm down. The window is going to be open for a long time if management plays it smart.

McDonagh can play the right side, but not nearly as well as he does the left. I fear Lou pulling a big move for a veteran D that hurts this team going forward. Didn't like the Boyle move last year, but that was minor in scale. If he goes big i'm pretty scared for the deadline. Lou gets his goaltenders, i'll give him that, but his drafts and trades are usually veteran heavy.

Really hoping Dubas takes over next season...

Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    Where did all this McDonagh hype come from? I know Friedman and Kyper mentioned it on HNIC but i saw that more as promo/hype for their deadline coverage. The Rangers want an absolute haul for him and the Leafs likely don't get close without Nylander or Marner. Even a Kapanen+Liljegren+1st deal could be beat by Tampa imo. I don't even see the motivation to get him because we are loaded on the left side and McDonagh would reek havoc on our cap in 2 years.

IMO, i think Boston is way more likely to trade for McDonagh. And Tampa is more likely to target Karlsson. I don't see anyway the Leafs are able to land one of these guys without moving Nylander or Marner. I think any talk of the Leafs being interested in McDonagh are a way to drive up the price. I don't see the fit.
    I wouldn't mind McDonagh, just not for Marner or Nylander. There is no way McDonagh is worth that. Trading Nylander or Marner will have to net a player of Provolov, Hanafin, or even Sutter's caliber and it ain't happening. Kapanen would probably be a spec that I'd deal for McDonagh. Now if Boston were to trade for McDonagh who goes from Boston? Spooner or are we looking at Pasternick?

I mentioned in another post that yes the Leafs are interested in McDonagh, but it appeared there are issues with contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    People need to understand that McDonagh isn't the same player he was 2 years ago either. You don't just throw valuable assets away for a player just because of his name. People are getting a little crazy with expectations for this team. They were 30th two years ago. Weren't even supposed to make the playoffs last year. You don't go from that to a Stanley Cup this year. Calm down. The window is going to be open for a long time if management plays it smart.
    Yep and time to sign Doughty

Quote Originally Posted by FLeays View Post
    I wouldn't mind McDonagh, just not for Marner or Nylander. There is no way McDonagh is worth that. Trading Nylander or Marner will have to net a player of Provolov, Hanafin, or even Sutter's caliber and it ain't happening. Kapanen would probably be a spec that I'd deal for McDonagh. Now if Boston were to trade for McDonagh who goes from Boston? Spooner or are we looking at Pasternick?

I mentioned in another post that yes the Leafs are interested in McDonagh, but it appeared there are issues with contracts.
    The rumour is that Boston is ready to include Carlo in a deal to improve. Carlo is basically what we hope Dermott becomes, a legit 20 minute NHLer. So that already beats our pieces of Dermott/Liljegren. The Bruins also have DeBrusk, Senyshyn, Zboril and Cehlarik who project to be top-6/top-4 guys. Since the B's are already pretty stacked there i could see one or two of them being included.

DeBrusk, Carlo and a 1st for McDonagh would be my guess and it works cap wise if the Rangers agree to take back Beleskey who isn't too expensive at $4 million.

McDonagh is a #1, one of the best one-on-one defenders in the league. If Dermott had played a season before this, like Carlo, a Kapanen, Dermott and a 1st would be an interesting trade. Because we don't have that piece, it would have to be one of the big-3. As good as Nylander+Marner are, they don't get you Provorov-types. Once a Provorov-type proves he's NHL calibre and playing 20 minutes-plus then the deal becomes Nylander+1st imo.

All of this changes if the Leafs are willing to include Rielly, which i doubt would happen. Rielly would get McDonagh by himself in a one-for-one. Or maybe the Rangers really like Liljegren or Dermott and decide to trust their scouts by taking them over, imo, better potential offers.

If the Leafs are scouting the Rangers, my guess is that they are watching Holden but playing it up as watching McDonagh to drive up the price. The two most likely landing spots are the teams the Leafs are going to face in the playoffs. We don't want one of them to gain McDonagh and lose nothing off their roster.

All that being said, I'm not an insider though so we'll see what happens. I just can't see a scenario where McDonagh makes sense on the Leafs.

I really don't want to give up the assets to acquire a 28 year old D man with 1 more year left. Doesn't make sense to me but we'll see.