Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Was Hitler bad?

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Can I just say. Bravo. For turning this thread into something interesting to read.

Of course it became interesting when 20th and I left the conversation. I think that says something.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    And from my perspective, I see a concept (god) created by humans (no different than any other imaginative concept) that is given traits that make it impossible to prove or deny. So again, I resolve to apatheism, because what's the point in trying to believe or deny when whatever it is, it is.

I'd call it a blessing and/or a statistically improbable fortunate event for me.
    You think it was statistically improbable?

If that specific sperm and egg didn't join, do you think "you" wouldn't exist? I wonder, if my mom and dad married other people, would I not exist? Or would I be my mom's other kid?

Maybe statistcally it's bound to happen one way or another..

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post

If that specific sperm and egg didn't join, do you think "you" wouldn't exist? I wonder, if my mom and dad married other people, would I not exist? Or would I be my mom's other kid?
    I'm sorry, but this is oddly amusing -- unless I got my junior high biology wrong, under these conditions, it is possible that you'd be conceived, assuming, among a whole host of other wildly unlikely events, both your mother and father elected to commit adultery.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    I'm sorry, but this is oddly amusing -- unless I got my junior high biology wrong, under these conditions, it is possible that you'd be conceived, assuming, among a whole host of other wildly unlikely events, both your mother and father elected to commit adultery.
    Let's say they never met. Would "I" have missed out on life? Or would "I" just be a different person. Diff body. One maybe not as ridiculously sexy as this one...

Let's say they never met. Would "I" have missed out on life? Or would "I" just be a different person. Diff body. One maybe not as ridiculously sexy as this one...
    Roger that.

Based on the information provided, I'm gonna have to say 'no.' You would not be you. But you would probably would not be me either, so there's always a silver lining in every cloud.

I guess it depends on context. As for which of my dads sperm and which of my moms eggs...maybe itís ďmeĒ in some other form, but Iím not sure it means itís still ďme ď.

I was thinking more in terms of life on earth in general being statistically improbable compared to the inhabitability of most places in the universe. But yeah who knows.

Btw this back and forth inspired me to pick up my Hume book for the first time since college (16 years ago), so cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Can I just say. Bravo. For turning this thread into something interesting to read.

Of course it became interesting when 20th and I left the conversation. I think that says something.
    Thereís Godwinís law that every discussion will end up with a Hitler reference. Maybe we just reversed the concept.

A different sperm could've made me a girl.

Who knows if my sentience is tied to it. Maybe. Probably based on the way I see the world.
    Last edited by Ezekial; 03-12-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    A different sperm could've made me a girl.

Who knows if my sentience is tied to it. Maybe. Probably based on the way I see the world.
    But your spirit?

The body is but an organic machine that houses the spirit. By spirit I mean the presence of something that leaves upon death, be it a soul or be it consciousness. The body is the interface between spirit/consciousness and this world. Is spirit/consciousness dependent on the body for existence, or does it exist otherwise and use the body temporarily ó until it wears out?

I guess Iím just rephrasing your question... is your sentience tied to your body?

Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I guess Iím just rephrasing your question... is your sentience tied to your body?
    I cannot answer for him, but I do believe that sentience (consciousness) is very much tied to the body. How? I do not know.

As for spirit or soul, I'd venture that neither truly exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    But your spirit?

The body is but an organic machine that houses the spirit. By spirit I mean the presence of something that leaves upon death, be it a soul or be it consciousness. The body is the interface between spirit/consciousness and this world. Is spirit/consciousness dependent on the body for existence, or does it exist otherwise and use the body temporarily ó until it wears out?

I don't believe in spirit, I don't believe in souls. I believe consciousness is connected to brain activity. I think death ends with nothingness, much like when one steps on an ant and moves on with their life never to think about it again. Humans are not special, well we're special in our cognitive abilities, but we're just another life form on earth
    Anthony Mantha Breakout 16-17

I don't believe in spirit, I don't believe in souls. I believe consciousness is connected to brain activity. I think death ends with nothingness, much like when one steps on an ant and moves on with their life never to think about it again. Humans are not special, well we're special in our cognitive abilities, but we're just another life form on earth
    This is all predicated on accepting that an ants life turns into nothingness

Not sure I'm prepared to make that statement..

This is all predicated on accepting that an ants life turns into nothingness

Not sure I'm prepared to make that statement..
    Think of all the ants in ant heaven.
    Anthony Mantha Breakout 16-17

Think of all the ants in ant heaven.
    Considering we apparently got the same great great grandmama, I don't see why that would be so far fetched...

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast