Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should SVG be fired if the Pistons fail to make the playoffs?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 85.71%
  • No

0 0%
  • Cocaine is a hell of a drug

1 14.29%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    It's a little different sound, production wasn't the best, but you could hear the beginnings of what would become a great metal band
    Definitely. I always like hearing old/not famous albums from metal bands. Really shows the roots and such.

Anywway.....Fire SVG. Just so we are on topic

So, we miss the playoffs.

Gores says to SVG: "I think you should REALLY concentrate on coaching next season and we'll give Arn the Pres of Basketball Operations. Again, I think it's REALLY important that you concentrate on coaching next season."

Does SVG walk, or take the hint?

Quote Originally Posted by markbutter View Post
    So, we miss the playoffs.

Gores says to SVG: "I think you should REALLY concentrate on coaching next season and we'll give Arn the Pres of Basketball Operations. Again, I think it's REALLY important that you concentrate on coaching next season."

Does SVG walk, or take the hint?
    SVG seems like a guy that can take a hint... I'm sure he sees the writing on the wall here in Detroit unless he truly believes he can turn this team around. IMO even if SVG comes back and manage to get the Pistons in the playoffs next year if I was Gores I would still fire him baring some deep playoff run.

He's a lameduck HC and I think it'll be best for both parties to go their separate ways. Let SVG go in the booth with his brother and let the Pistons get a jump start in putting out this dumpster fire

👑
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    and Syracuse has sucked for years
    Wish my wife's name was Syracuse.

Just too bad this team has no pick and a lot of cash tied up in the wrong dudes. Going to get worse before it gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by mark1125 View Post
    Just too bad this team has no pick and a lot of cash tied up in the wrong dudes. Going to get worse before it gets better.
    I disagree.

Dre' is an all-star. I think this season he has really established himself. The reason people bring him up in trade talk is because they compare him to the widely perceived - and somewhat correct - issue of today's outside shooting teams. The issue is: Does he make the other team pay for him being out on the floor? He leads the league in rebounding, is hitting 62% of his FTs (hopefully next season it becomes 2/3, I believe for centers he leads the league in assists and his defense has improved - all the while averaging 25 points and really doesn't have very many plays run for him specifically on the offensive end.

Blake is an all star when healthy. Yes, I know I'm saying this as he's out. But his 3 point shooting is league average, can get a shot off anytime he wants (that's sometimes good and sometimes bad) and though his mid-range game this season has taken dip, he is a facilitator on offense and many nights will draw a double team.

RJ is RJ, and I think he can be a starting guard on a contending team if surrounded with the right individuals.

But at the end of the day, Harden, LeBron, Durrant, and several others skew the league as it has always been. In the past, Stockton/Malone, MJ/Pippen, Magic/Kareem/Worthy, Bird/Parish/McHale, Duncan/Parker/Ginobilli, Curry/Thompson/Green/Durrant, are all HoF and when the Pistons were competing, the whole was always greater than the parts. No FA is coming to Det, that's reality. So you're going to have to gamble and sometimes it will work out and sometimes it doesn't. Curry's first re-up was a 50/50 prop at best because of his ankle. Nobody saw what came next. Guys like David West, Durrant, and others have taken less money to join teams than they could have gotten on the open market, that's why Det is going to have to gamble.

Hindsight is 20/20, but can you imagine Blake/Dre'/RJ with Booker and Mitchell starting with them? That's a potent offense and that's where SVG has, IMHO, whiffed. Far be it from me to say how to develop players, but players work on a facet of their game in the offseason, 3 point shooting, handles, weight / strength management, etc. Stanley - per SVG IIRC - didn't play a lot in his first off season of pick up ball. He was in the gym doing ?? that SVG told him to do. You can't work on everything every off season. Not to play pick up ball hurts your conditioning, all around game and confidence. You get better by playing, but you improve by practicing on one or at most two facets of your game. As for Henry, we shall see. He seems to have his head screwed on right, teammates say he's putting in the work and I'm not saying he'll be the next Dirk, but shooting/scoring is a trait that's always valuable in the league. He just turned 21 in January and would be getting more playing time on a worse team, particularly since SVG is in win mode and at this point, Toliver is going to get more calls (non calls on the D end) than Henry would. I think these next several games - since Blake is out - is really going to be an effort to get Henry comfortable at the speed of the game and confidence. Remember, he was picked 18th - and you can make an argument for Dejonte Murray (spurs) and Chris LeVert who were taken after him. Other than Patrick McCaw and Malcom Brogdon (RoY), nobody is anybody that we should have drafted.

I view Kennard as somewhat of a Ginobilli type, No, he's not the next Ginobilli, but his game is somewhat similar except his attacking the basket. But when we all first watched Ginobili, I was like, this guy is all arms and legs and WTF. Now, he's a HoF, and was a great fit for the spurs. No, Kennard isn't Ginobilli. But I'd give a guy 2-3 years drafted in the lottery to show something. Particularly 1- and 2- dones.

Yes, we're capped out. But being capped out with the roster we have given no FA is coming to Det, I think it's the best we could hope for talent wise. We just need to have the picks we made produce, which is more of f a function of the scuting dept than spending by the team.
    Last edited by markbutter; 03-31-2018 at 10:27 AM.

Pistons' Tom Gores: No decision on Stan Van Gundy, but 'changes' needed

Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores promised changes after what he described as a disappointing season, but he didn't specify what needs to change.

Gores will meet with head coach and president of basketball operations Stan Van Gundy next week to decide on the future.

Gores, speaking with media at halftime of the Pistons' 108-98 loss to the Toronto Raptors at Little Caesars Arena in Monday's home finale, said he is not leaning toward a decision.

Van Gundy, whose team missed the playoffs for the third time in four seasons, has one year remaining on his contract. "Stan and I are partners, and there's no way I would make a decision without talking to Stan," Gores said.
    Rest of the article: http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.s..._decision.html

👑

Nice to see at least one team at LCA is getting of their *** to do something (potentially).

So the Magic fired Frank Vogel. I think he could be a great pick up for us, even better than David Fizdale, if we get rid of Stan.
    Using Tapatalk

Never been a fan of Stan Van Gundy, but I'm not sure you can blame it all on him. Bower isn't exactly the best GM and he's missed on his draft picks. Stanley Johnson, the 8th overall pick in the 2015 draft, hasn't exactly played like a lottery pick yet. Has their 2016 draft pick, Ellenson, even gotten on the floor? Barely. Last year, he took Luke Kennard while Donovan Mitchell went one pick after. So 3 drafts and probably a D- in terms of grade.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastSportz View Post
    Never been a fan of Stan Van Gundy, but I'm not sure you can blame it all on him. Bower isn't exactly the best GM and he's missed on his draft picks. Stanley Johnson, the 8th overall pick in the 2015 draft, hasn't exactly played like a lottery pick yet. Has their 2016 draft pick, Ellenson, even gotten on the floor? Barely. Last year, he took Luke Kennard while Donovan Mitchell went one pick after. So 3 drafts and probably a D- in terms of grade.
    SVG is Pres. of basketball of operations so its safe to assume that anything that Bowers does is ran by SVG first. I'm pretty sure SVG was on board for all 3 draft picks and had major influence in them as well....they both should go. This organization hasn't been relevant in a decade and SVG has done little to move the needle forward coach. 1 playoff appearance in 4yrs isn't something to be happy about especially when you have front office control as well

👑

Quote Originally Posted by JWO35 View Post
    SVG is Pres. of basketball of operations so its safe to assume that anything that Bowers does is ran by SVG first. I'm pretty sure SVG was on board for all 3 draft picks and had major influence in them as well....they both should go. This organization hasn't been relevant in a decade and SVG has done little to move the needle forward coach. 1 playoff appearance in 4yrs isn't something to be happy about especially when you have front office control as well
    A.T. as PBO and Chauncey! as GM or AGM. I don't know who I would like as the next coach but after the terrible coaches they've trotted out there in recent history, I don't want any coach that shares part of their name. Frank Vogel, nope because of Lawrence Frank.

Mark Jackson
    Darvin Ham
    Jerry Stackhouse
    Jim Boylen
    Bill Laimbeer
    Adrian Griffin

How about a college coach?

Quote Originally Posted by RealBuffoonery View Post
    How about a college coach?
    I don't think Beilein would ever consider leaving but I think his system works well in today's NBA, if Michigan ever lost him it wouldn't break my heart as much if it was to the Pistons, as long as Detroit signs any 3PT shooter they can find haha

I don't think Beilein would ever consider leaving but I think his system works well in today's NBA, if Michigan ever lost him it wouldn't break my heart as much if it was to the Pistons, as long as Detroit signs any 3PT shooter they can find haha
    Lol...not Beilein, i don't think he wants to coach in the NBA and I would want a younger coach. He has done a great job at UofM thus far, I wish Izzo was as flexible.
    Last edited by RealBuffoonery; 04-14-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastSportz View Post
    bruh. SVG drafted them lmao

Drafting is always somewhat of a crap shoot, unless it's a bonafide can't miss, Lebron, Anthony Davis, etc. Darko was the #2 rated prospect or at worst top 5. Look at Mo Wagner. Last year it was thought he was 2nd round or might not even get drafted. This year, I would think he might be at best tail end lottery or late first round. Round 1 is guaranteed money. I think I read he might even be 2nd round. Somebody like GS or SA or Thunder could take him, allow him 2 years of development and I think be a very respectable NBA player.

It's not so much the draft picks that SVG/Bowers have mad RE: Stanley, at the time SVG was going to do a 1/4 in/out with Dre' (ala Dwight with Orlando) from an offensive set SVG said he was going to do at the time. Booker was by far the better shooter and fit that criteria that SVG had at the time. But he chose Stanley, IIRC, because he showed more "competitiveness." At the NBA, everyone is competitive.

Kennard / Mitchell: SVG has said he was worried about Luke's defense and specifically I think, athleticism. Given Luke will be SG and the people he will be asked to cover most nights, that's a valid concern. Mitchell has that in spades and according to him, didn't miss a shot in his workout. I think Kennard will probably be the best shooter in that draft but Mitchell will be the best scorer. But 11 other teams passed on Mitchell also and given the Jazz's team after losing Hayward, he had the opportunity to step in and be that guy. He took advantage of it.

Ellenson fell to them and following our playoff spot the preceding year, thus our draft position, there's only really three guys who you can look at and say we should have picked them and that's maybe Chris LaVert and Malcom Brogdon (ROY) and Dejounte Murray. We already had signed Reggie to a 5 year deal so PG wasn't going to get it done with the 18th pick. I still think Henry can be a contributor on our team. You learn by playing and given the pressure to win games and make the playoffs, particularly after the last two years with Reggie's injuries, there are undoubtedly games Henry would have gotten in had Reggie not been hurt and I believe there are games Henry should have gotten into - even if it's just 5-10 mins.

OTOH, look at our roster when SVG got here. It was a mess. We traded away Middleton who has become a very nice NBA player, but I'm not thinking anyone else on that team would be starting for us right now who was sent packing.

Bottom line is: SVG has taken 4 years as Pres to get the team he wanted - or was able to get - and now his focus should solely be on coaching that talent. Relieve him of those duties and given our cap situation with our contracts, there's not a lot you're going to do as GM to materially change the roster unless it's very big and one of the top 3 are traded. So make SVG coach the core and the draft picks he's done and that will tell us a lot about him as coach. My fear is players are tuning him out just like they allegedly did in Orlando / Mia. Once that happens, it's tough to get guys back. But he's made his bed it's time to make him lay down in it. As Pres, I think in the back of your mind - particularly as you're coaching guys every day, that you have little voices in the back of your head saying " I just need to fill this one little hole in our rotation, or I just need this type of player" and it affects your coaching approach because you're always thinking how much better we would be if said "hole" was filled and you begin to rotate players to cover that hole or missing link. Well, that's my dime store psych analysis.

I think we've got a top 5 center, top 10 PF and Top 10 PG when everyone is healthy. And part of that rating is based on who we have at the other two core positions listed and how they fit together as a threesome. It's time after 4 years of getting talent that SVG be made to coach said talent that he directly constructed. As for coaching should SVG be sent packing, Vogel doesn't interest me, Belien isn't leaving. The only college coach would be Jay Wright and he's not leaving. I'd like to take a look at Fizdale. Marc Jackson, no thank you. Stackhouse, intriguing. But guys at the G-League I think are much more willing to buy in on anything because they haven't made the big show yet. Not knocking Stackhouse. just the coaching philosophy and coach/player dynamic are different IMHO.
    Last edited by markbutter; 04-15-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast