Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should SVG be fired if the Pistons fail to make the playoffs?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 85.71%
  • No

0 0%
  • Cocaine is a hell of a drug

1 14.29%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by RealBuffoonery View Post
    Joe Dumars or Stan Van Gundy? The SVG regime is similar to the Dumars regime except Dumars actually won a championship before it all went belly up and wasn't afraid to fire people.
    Bingo! I don't really get this "give Stan one more year with [Player X]". We gave him a year with Dre, we gave him a year with Jackson, so now we should give him a year with Blake? So next season when he trades Reggie for Terry Rozier (or whoever) & a 1st rounder we should then sign SVG to an extension so he can have a year to work with Rozier?

Isn't Bower's contract up in June anyways? Why would he want to meet with him? To fire him a few weeks before his contract ends and prevent SVG from giving him an extension?
    I believe so, maybe the stalemate also includes SVG trying to bring Bower back and if he can't he'll walk too. But I completely agree this franchise is a shell of itself and it's sad, but IMO this isn't even rock bottom yet. If Gores doesn't get his head out of the LA clouds this team will only continue to be a mediocre 8th-11th seed team int he East with no true direction of improving or bottoming out

👑
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    and Syracuse has sucked for years
    Wish my wife's name was Syracuse.

Quote Originally Posted by JWO35 View Post
    Bingo! I don't really get this "give Stan one more year with [Player X]". We gave him a year with Dre, we gave him a year with Jackson, so now we should give him a year with Blake? So next season when he trades Reggie for Terry Rozier (or whoever) & a 1st rounder we should then sign SVG to an extension so he can have a year to work with Rozier?

I believe so, maybe the stalemate also includes SVG trying to bring Bower back and if he can't he'll walk too. But I completely agree this franchise is a shell of itself and it's sad, but IMO this isn't even rock bottom yet. If Gores doesn't get his head out of the LA clouds this team will only continue to be a mediocre 8th-11th seed team int he East with no true direction of improving or bottoming out

I agree with the Bowers opinion. But given our contracts, I don't see where bringing in a new GM is going to make a big difference. Not an endorsement for him staying. Not an endorsement against Billups. Dre/Reggie/Blake are our core. Might be able to flip Blake for Kawhi if we were able to attach Boban's trade exception. Don't know for sure. It's not really that core that kills us - again with each being healthy. A top 5 center, a top 15 PF and a top 20 PG to compliment those two isn't a bad start. It's the supporting cast - i.e., draft - that's comeback to bite us.

Haven't hit rock bottom yet?

I've got $50 that says if everyone remains healthy, we're a 6 or better seed. Will you take that bet?

(Changed from $100)
    Last edited by markbutter; 05-04-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markbutter View Post
    Given where we drafted, Dumars was a much better drafter than SVG. That might not be saying much, but overall he was better. FA signings, both were not up to par.
    I agree with you that Dumars was much better at drafting than SVG is, and when he did mess up a pick, he was able to make some nice trades to offload them for something of value.

Talking to Dre' and Blake is the same as talking to your high level officers in a corporation about bringing someone in. Gores ultimately is on the hook for both their contracts - given that he signed off on the offer/trade. So it makes sense to get their feel for the situation because in the end, these two are going to be the leaders and the rest of the team will take their que from them.
    It's understandable to get the players thoughts on changes, but I've got the feeling that the players don't like playing for SVG the coach. I'd much rather see him as director of player development or something. What he did with Andre's free throw shooting this past season is amazing.

But do the players want SVG the exec, the coach, both or none?

The talk with Bowers might just be courtesy to get his input. I'm sure he'll back up SVG, but if they want to bring in a new Pres, it makes sense to see if there's an option to retain him and how he would feel about it. We're talking guys making millions per year, not some dude on the floor in a sweatshop making minimum.
    The only meeting I want Gores to have with Bower is to relieve him of his responsibilities. I haven't liked him since day one. Maybe that was my expectations that SVG would hire a young GM or one with a proven non-mediocre track record instead of doing his old buddy a solid.

Don't forget the injuries, I bet they are using that as a last desperate act to try and cling to their jobs. It's time to admit it didn't work out and cut their losses before it gets worse.

Your stalemate theory is the rumor the nutter butter loving local sports writer was alluding too, that Gores wants the front office change to start with GM and possibly be more.

I agree with the Bowers opinion. But given our contracts, I don't see where bringing in a new GM is going to make a big difference. Not an endorsement for him staying. Not an endorsement against Billups. Dre/Reggie/Blake are our core. Might be able to flip Blake for Kawhi if we were able to attach Boban's trade exception. Don't know for sure. It's not really that core that kills us - again with each being healthy. A top 5 center, a top 15 PF and a top 20 PG to compliment those two isn't a bad start. It's the supporting cast - i.e., draft - that's comeback to bite us.

Haven't hit rock bottom yet?

I've got $50 that says if everyone remains healthy, we're a 6 or better seed. Will you take that bet?

(Changed from $100)
    That should be this regime's indictment. They've handcuffed the team with these contracts to not only our core but the supporting cast. The only way this team is going to get a superstar is through the draft and they've missed twice now on budding superstars.

They've not hit rock bottom yet, but they are on the path to do so. Reggie's knee flares up, Blake suffers whatever ailments he gets, DrumDrum's FT shooting regresses....

If the roster remains largely intact and every stays healthy, they would be a 4-6 seed and lose in the first round. That's not good enough.

If I were Gores, I'd make these changes and see what SVG can do as a lame duck coach while our new executives acclimate to their new jobs.

PBO Arn Tellem
    GM Chauncey Billups
    Coach SVG

I agree with you that Dumars was much better at drafting than SVG is, and when he did mess up a pick, he was able to make some nice trades to offload them for something of value.

It's understandable to get the players thoughts on changes, but I've got the feeling that the players don't like playing for SVG the coach. I'd much rather see him as director of player development or something. What he did with Andre's free throw shooting this past season is amazing.

But do the players want SVG the exec, the coach, both or none?

The only meeting I want Gores to have with Bower is to relieve him of his responsibilities. I haven't liked him since day one. Maybe that was my expectations that SVG would hire a young GM or one with a proven non-mediocre track record instead of doing his old buddy a solid.

Don't forget the injuries, I bet they are using that as a last desperate act to try and cling to their jobs. It's time to admit it didn't work out and cut their losses before it gets worse.

Your stalemate theory is the rumor the nutter butter loving local sports writer was alluding too, that Gores wants the front office change to start with GM and possibly be more.

That should be this regime's indictment. They've handcuffed the team with these contracts to not only our core but the supporting cast. The only way this team is going to get a superstar is through the draft and they've missed twice now on budding superstars.

They've not hit rock bottom yet, but they are on the path to do so. Reggie's knee flares up, Blake suffers whatever ailments he gets, DrumDrum's FT shooting regresses....

If the roster remains largely intact and every stays healthy, they would be a 4-6 seed and lose in the first round. That's not good enough.

If I were Gores, I'd make these changes and see what SVG can do as a lame duck coach while our new executives acclimate to their new jobs.

PBO Arn Tellem
    GM Chauncey Billups
    Coach SVG
    Dre's contract isn't all that bad given the current landscape of the NBa. Yes, Blake's contract could be an albatross. But, the idea of hitting it big in the lottery is a pipe dream, even iv we sucked to get a high pick. Unless you're talking a Lebron or Anthony Davis, then it's really a crap shoot. Hell, look at Embid. Imagine if we had picked him, bad back or whatever coming out of Kansas then him sitting out, people would have chewed the front office.

It's the FA contracts of Langston and Leuer that have hamstrung more than Dre' and Blake. At the end of day, no FAs are coming here. We either overpay if we were lucky to sign them or trade for them and their contract. Not getting surrounding pieces on good contracts has hurt us. Even Harris was making 16M per year and he's a complimentary piece as we saw this year when Reggie went down. I think we are a better team with Blake - assuming Reggie went down and Blake was here versus Harris/Avery combo. Giving up the pick hurt, but that's the overpaying you do to get a FA (per se') to come to Det.

The team is, what it is. Health is an issue for every team. This is a 4-6 seed, and maybe a surprise in the first round - but we are constructed as a playoff team in that we can slow it down with Blake and get decent looks.

I think - if what's to be believed - that SVg has turned off some players - then the worst thing is for him to be a lame duck coach. If they've met and nothing has come out yet, I've got a hunch that this is more giving SVG a graceful exit than it is about anything else.

As for Gores in Hollywood and not giving a rats rear, that's why he's hired people to run stuff, they haven't bet expectations and now he's making changes. We don't need a Jerry Jones or Mark Cuban. It's his team, his management team and he'll figure it out.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789