Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should SVG be fired if the Pistons fail to make the playoffs?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 85.71%
  • No

0 0%
  • Cocaine is a hell of a drug

1 14.29%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

It's time for Stan Van Gundy to go!

If the Pistons fail to make the playoffs for the 3rd time out of SVG's 4yrs as HC he should be fired as Pres. & GM plain and simple.

There's no doubt SVG is a master of trades, but outside of that, he has made questionable to downright boneheaded moves in every other area. From passing on guys like Devin Booker & Donovan Mitchelle in the draft to signing horrible contracts like Jon Leuer & NBA's version of Andre the Giant in Boban. Now 4yrs into his tenure as HC/Pres. SVG has completely crippled us financially with the recent acquisition of Blake Griffin's max contract all while surrendering a 1st round pick that appears to be a lottery pick with every loss. Combine that with a sub .500 record and you get nothing more but the same old **** we are used to pre-Gores & SVG, a mediocre team that isn't going anywhere and continues to shoot itself in the foot with bad FA signings and trades.

Going forward there's not much to be excited about this team...no cap space, no 1st round pick, no tradable assets. If we miss the playoffs (and honestly even if we get swept out) SVG should be fired.

👑
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    and Syracuse has sucked for years
    Wish my wife's name was Syracuse.

It's getting really frustrating. I try and stick up for Stan all the time but it's getting old. I think missing the playoffs again is a lock for him to go, I even think it's possible he's gone if we make it and stink it up. I actually want to succeed with him, but man this mediocrity is tiresome

Quote Originally Posted by JWO35 View Post
    If the Pistons fail to make the playoffs for the 3rd time out of SVG's 4yrs as HC he should be fired as Pres. & GM plain and simple.

There's no doubt SVG is a master of trades, but outside of that, he has made questionable to downright boneheaded moves in every other area. From passing on guys like Devin Booker & Donovan Mitchelle in the draft to signing horrible contracts like Jon Leuer & NBA's version of Andre the Giant in Boban. Now 4yrs into his tenure as HC/Pres. SVG has completely crippled us financially with the recent acquisition of Blake Griffin's max contract all while surrendering a 1st round pick that appears to be a lottery pick with every loss. Combine that with a sub .500 record and you get nothing more but the same old **** we are used to pre-Gores & SVG, a mediocre team that isn't going anywhere and continues to shoot itself in the foot with bad FA signings and trades.

Going forward there's not much to be excited about this team...no cap space, no 1st round pick, no tradable assets. If we miss the playoffs (and honestly even if we get swept out) SVG should be fired.
    Drafting - Yes. he's goofed. Would have taken Booker hands down. Mitchell felt pretty good after his workout and says he didn't miss. Thing is, SVG said what worried him the most about Luke was his D side - i.e. , "athleticism." Mitchell has that in spades SVG failed.

Boban: was to be the back up. In 2016, everyone got paid. The NBA handed out 1B in contracts in 24 hours and many thought it'd transfer to 2017 as well. With Baynes being an RFA, many thought he'd get a contract in excess of what we could pay. So the decision was made for a 7M backup. Money turned out different for Baynes, who signed for 1 year at 4M. Someone should have seen the contract writing on the wall, but in any event, SVG went thru the summer saying "we need to play Boban and run plays for him." Instead we have Moreland, who is more athletic, but the league didn't change that much from June-2017 to Nov-2017. SVG failed.

Blake: You will have to overpay to get a FA to sign with Det. No one of Blake's ability, including injury history - would have signed with Det. Blake and Dre' are 2 of a big 3. Both are top 25 players when healthy, in a league dominated by superstars. The pick is mid lottery at best, and probably 11-14. That's not what we need. SVG passes.

We've had too many losses to teams we should have beat this season, even with Reggie's injury. I have seen no improvement in game management, adjustments or the dreaded "motivation" sermons from SVG. Players are tuning him out, just like guys did in his two previous spots.

SVG must go.

I'm conflicted. I think being GM & Coach is too hard for most people. Only person I can think that has done well is Pop. I feel like we could be better if he was just the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    I'm conflicted. I think being GM & Coach is too hard for most people. Only person I can think that has done well is Pop. I feel like we could be better if he was just the coach.
    Pop is the greatest coach ever. SVG is mediocre
    Using Tapatalk

SVG is president of basketball operations. Bower, is the GM.

Obviously, trades go thru SVG, but the day to day calling other GMs is Bower. With SVG, scouts, trainers, etc., go thru him. But I agree, it's too much but I think Gores gave it to him because SVG wanted job security because our roster was atrocious when he got here. SVG assumed he'd have 2-3 bad years before he righted the ship and didn't want the pressure from a person who had Gores ear more than he would have. Plus, Gores decision.

Quote Originally Posted by markbutter View Post
    SVG is president of basketball operations. Bower, is the GM.

Obviously, trades go thru SVG, but the day to day calling other GMs is Bower. With SVG, scouts, trainers, etc., go thru him. But I agree, it's too much but I think Gores gave it to him because SVG wanted job security because our roster was atrocious when he got here. SVG assumed he'd have 2-3 bad years before he righted the ship and didn't want the pressure from a person who had Gores ear more than he would have. Plus, Gores decision.
    Alright, so he's the GM's boss. Either way, I think it's too much for him. I don't think I've seen anyone other than Pop succeed with a similar role.

Doc was semi-successful in LA IMO. The Clippers were basically the Lions of the NBA prior to lobcity & CP3, but we all see how that story will end soon... Showing favoritism to your son normally doesn't end well on the HS levels so I can only imagine the sh*tshow in the clippers locker room. Never was a true title contender, but were always at the top of the West.

Plus one bright side if firing SVG... Chauncey Billiups would probably be the front runner for the GM position
    Last edited by JWO35; 02-15-2018 at 05:43 PM.

👑
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    and Syracuse has sucked for years
    Wish my wife's name was Syracuse.

Doc was semi-successful in LA IMO. The Clippers were basically the Lions of the NBA prior to lobcity & CP3, but we all see how that story will end soon... Showing favoritism to your son normally doesn't end well on the HS levels so I can only imagine the sh*tshow in the clippers locker room. Never was a true title contender, but were always at the top of the West.

Plus one bright side if firing SVG... Chauncey Billiups would probably be the front runner for the GM position

man having Billups be GM sounds awesome. I know he was offered the Cavs job.

I worry about a fan favorite like Chauncey to become the GM. The practical side has me worried about what Chauncey has done to qualify as the GM, his on court body of work speaks for itself, but off court is not certain. The emotional side of me sees what happened to Joe D when he started to lose his grip on the game and does not want that to happen to Chauncey as well. Same reason why I worry about Stevie Y coming over to the Wings, and his body of work is strong. If I can be convinced he can turn this around though I would be game for him to come in. Also like the Wings I worry about a good ol' boys club that gets established and rigid in their management ideas (again see the Red Wings).

Doc did OK in LA. But I don't believe his role as pres of operations can be signed off on as good.

In BOS he had 3 legit HOF - Branett, Pierce & Allen with a possible 4th in Rondo.
    In LA, he had CP3, Blake & Jordan - all of which could be HOF, with CP3 guaranteed. Add in sharp shooter Reddick, and this was BEFORE the Warriors were the Warriors and basically only SA did it year after year and yet Doc never made it out of the second round. Sure, it's the players and injuries did occur, but that's life. He never surrounded those 4 with anyone who could play SF or a bench. Salaries play a part, but I would just say that look at LA with Doc and please point me to any FA wanting to play in LA and/or publicly saying he'd take less to join that team. That says a lot.

The issue with SVG/Pres of Ops, is that he has to straddle. In a labor dispute or in this case, players playing being traded, it's almost always the GM that puts the trade together and signed off by the Pres of Ops. A typically coach and cajole the player and basically say: Hey, it wasn't me it was the GM/Pres of Ops (i.e., good cop / bad cop).

As Pres of Ops, he's also the one saying to the player: I didn't think you'd fit in / didn't like you / make an excuse and so I traded you. there's rumblings all year long after the season and up to the trade deadline. That "noise" involves the team, the player, and SVG as Pres of Ops. It creates another "issue" inside the locker room. Pop has earned "I know better" mantra because of his success. SVG hasn't.

Chauncey? What has he done? Hell, he's not even an assistant to the assistant of the GM. Yes, he's played. There are currently about 450 others in the NBA today who could say the same thing. He's articulate and I think knows the game. But I'd like to see him get some experience before I turn over the keys to him. With Joe D, he had been out of the league long enough beginning in 2008 forward that the players he was drafting / trading, he basically had no personal issues or as teammates. Chauncey is coming up on that time frame, but I'd like to see some better background than as a color analyst in studio.

Don't want to derail this too much, but you guys are overrating Doc a bit. In LA as a coach, hes' been fine, but his GM moves have been horrible.

As for Chauncey having no experience, I'm not so worried. He'd just need to hire some people that know the business aspect to help him out. Everything else is talent evaluation.

Don't want to derail this too much, but you guys are overrating Doc a bit. In LA as a coach, hes' been fine, but his GM moves have been horrible.

As for Chauncey having no experience, I'm not so worried. He'd just need to hire some people that know the business aspect to help him out. Everything else is talent evaluation.
    He's only been fine this year. He has - depending on Blake's injuries going forward (and our record) two HOF (CP3 the other) and a 1-3 team ALL NBA center and perennial Defensive Player of the Year (DJ) and he's never gotten out of the second round.

He's won from 2012 forward 56, 57, 56, 53 & 51. Granted, injuries have been an issue. He lost to Houston when they were up 3-1. Even with Garnett, Pierce, Allen & Rondo he still struggled to get out of the east and won in 2008. I'm looking at Pop who had Duncan, Ginobilli and Parker with players around and he's done better.

As for Chauncey - Yes, it is a talent evaluation. But what has he shown in terms of his ability to evaluate talent?

Quote Originally Posted by markbutter View Post
    He's only been fine this year. He has - depending on Blake's injuries going forward (and our record) two HOF (CP3 the other) and a 1-3 team ALL NBA center and perennial Defensive Player of the Year (DJ) and he's never gotten out of the second round.

He's won from 2012 forward 56, 57, 56, 53 & 51. Granted, injuries have been an issue. He lost to Houston when they were up 3-1. Even with Garnett, Pierce, Allen & Rondo he still struggled to get out of the east and won in 2008. I'm looking at Pop who had Duncan, Ginobilli and Parker with players around and he's done better.

As for Chauncey - Yes, it is a talent evaluation. But what has he shown in terms of his ability to evaluate talent?
    Nothing, but it's not as if there is a requirement to have been an assistant beforehand. If he has a vision that sounds appealing then I wouldn't hesitate to hire him. IMO he'd have to interview well...He'd have to be into analytics...and he'd have to be open.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast