Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

2018 Spring Training Thread

The off season is OVAH!!!!

Pitchers and catchers report today, even though they have been there for a few days already.

Talk all things spring training here.

If a trade or a signing occurs feel free to open a new thread.

Please.. no injuries....

White Sox & Redskins Forever

The long, cold winter is over ...
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Welcome back Hector Santiago, traded for Davidson I think in 2013.
    If he can get back on track, he'll help.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    Welcome back Hector Santiago, traded for Davidson I think in 2013.
    If he can get back on track, he'll help.

I thought his back was shot, and that this impinged on his throwing shoulder (screwball is a wearing pitch). If we're just looking for innings, someone like Jeremy Hellickson would be a better choice.

Avisail Garcia won his arbitration case against the White Sox and will earn a $6.7 million salary in 2018.

Garcia was offered a $5.85 million salary from the White Sox when arbitration figures were exchanged in January. The arbitration panel sided with the player in this particular case. Garcia, 26, broke out to the tune of a .330/.380/.506 batting line with 18 home runs and 80 RBI over 136 games for Chicago in 2017.

Santiago is interesting because I think he can be both utilized in the rotation and bullpen. Last year he was riddled with injury but if he's healthy he could be an interesting piece. Only a couple years removed from being an All-star.

Regarding Hector Santiago, I was searching to find out what it means to "sign a player to a minor league deal" and I found this which I wanted to share. Not sure if it is applicable in this situation, but anyway:

"Players with six years of major-league service time that sign minor-league deals now have what is called Article XX-B protection. Teams either have to put these players on the major-league roster or release them five days prior to the start of the MLB season. If they do neither, they must pay that player a $100,000 retention bonus. This is essentially a built-in out clause for veteran players. If you are an Article XX-B free agent, you also receive an automatic June 1 out clause if you’re paid the $100,000. Most teams get around this retention bonus by releasing a player and then resigning him sometime before the five days prior to Opening Day."

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a...ue-deal-021315

Quote Originally Posted by swanekj View Post

I thought his back was shot, and that this impinged on his throwing shoulder (screwball is a wearing pitch). If we're just looking for innings, someone like Jeremy Hellickson would be a better choice.

Hellickson very well may be a better choice, but they signed Santiago. Hey, I'm not writing these jokes, I'm just telling them.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Hector Santiago was traded in a three team deal...Trumbo went to the D-Backs, Santiago went to the Angels and Adam Eaton went to the White Sox. A few seasons pass and the White Sox ship Eaton at all time high value for former top 100 prospects Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez and current top 100 prospect Dane Dunning. Now we got Hector Santiago back on a minor league contract two seasons removed from an all star game.

I don't know what he ahs left, but he's worth a shot. I'm pretty sure that he beat the White Sox last year, pitching for the Twins. Maybe they will bring in another (better) pitcher or two, maybe they won't.
    I think it was a good idea to sign him, nothing to lose here.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Santiago will also have a shot at a bullpen spot. So he adds depth as a AAA starting pitcher or a lefty in the pen. Still has good velocity. I like the signing. Low risk/decent reward. He just turned 30. Get him back with Coop and Hermie. Get him healthy and see what he's got.

With Avi winning a little more cash in arbitration read that in 2017 Avi lead the entire MLB with percentages of balls put into play. Experts are expecting him to regress into the .270s BA range this year.

Might be spot on. ST and April will be a indication if 2017 was a blip or for real.

I'm excited to see the competition for the OF spots. A lot of guys with a real shot......

Quote Originally Posted by South Side Sox View Post
    With Avi winning a little more cash in arbitration read that in 2017 Avi lead the entire MLB with percentages of balls put into play. Experts are expecting him to regress into the .270s BA range this year.
    Might be spot on. ST and April will be a indication if 2017 was a blip or for real.
    Sox fans who have watched Avi over the last few seasons have a better sense about what Avi can and will do than the so-called experts. We saw Avi lose a lot of weight prior to the 2017 season and get into better condition than he was ever in. He has continued that level of conditioning so he has not regressed physically. Last season saw him taking a different approach at the plate. He started taking a lot of outside pitches that he was striking out easily on in prior seasons or anticipating them and taking them to Right field. That is why he had a had a ton of hits to Right field.

As far as Avi regressing from hitting .330, most players would because very few can hit for that kind of an average every year. I think that he may hit .300 but with more home runs than he hit last season as he starts trying to pull the ball a little more.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast