Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

TOP 10 Celts of all time

I'm talking careers as Celts. I have:

1. Bill Russell
    2. Larry Bird
    3. Paul Pierce - long career
    4. John Havlicek - long career, bit of a volume scorer, great D
    5. Kevin McHale - one of 3 best low post offensive players of all time, great defender
    6. Robert Parish - long steady career
    7. Sam Jones - basically Bill's right hand man, 2 guard
    8. Bob Cousy - great passer from a long time ago
    9. Dave Cowens - a PF playing C, tough, didn't hold up
    10. Bill Sharman - a shooter from way back, led the league in FT% about six times

Comments?
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post

1. Bill Russell
    2. Larry Bird
    5. Kevin McHale - one of 3 best low post offensive players of all time, great defender
    10. Bill Sharman - a shooter from way back, led the league in FT% about six times

Comments?
    Hard to argue that list. Subjecting it to just C's careers it would be hard to put anyone else on that list. Too many great HOF guys that wore green for the majority of their careers for anyone to crack that list that didn't play the majority of their careers here. I'd like to put KG on the list but he just didn't play here long enough to crack the top 10.

City of Champions

1. Bill Russell
    2. Larry Bird

Comments?
    Where do you have JoJo white, DJ and heinsohn on this list?
    "Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling." - Bill Belichick

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox47 View Post

None of them belong IMO. Those guys, Sanders, and others show up in the next 10.

One thing to consider is modern players play longer. Tommy's career was 9 years long, and his last year was weak.

Please go ahead and put up your own list.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

1. Bill Russell
    2. Larry Bird

Comments?
    You list is perfect....I put Havlicek ahead of Pierce otherwise that is my top 10.
    El Presidente

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox47 View Post
    Only way Heinsohn belongs on the list is if he gets points for being the coach and the announcer for so many years. As a player he is down in the teens IMO. Jo Jo is outside the top 10 but not by much...same with DJ...and DJ loses some points for playing years outside of Boston.
    El Presidente

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    Hard to argue that list. Subjecting it to just C's careers it would be hard to put anyone else on that list. Too many great HOF guys that wore green for the majority of their careers for anyone to crack that list that didn't play the majority of their careers here. I'd like to put KG on the list but he just didn't play here long enough to crack the top 10.
    Only 6 years here for KG. Difficult to crack the top 10 in only 6 years. I just cant do it.
    El Presidente

Quote Originally Posted by rufo4100 View Post
    Only 6 years here for KG. Difficult to crack the top 10 in only 6 years. I just cant do it.
    If we're talking max value/peak Celts, then:

KG
    Bird
    Russell
    McHale

instantly come to mind. Kyrie this year and IT last year are probably the best single years that any Celt guards have had.

Easy Ed McCauley had some big years in the early 50's too, but I have a hard time taking any Celt or NBA records seriously before 1956.

Turns out KG in '07-'08 is #1 in WS/48.

If we're talking max value/peak Celts, then:

KG
    Bird
    Russell
    McHale

instantly come to mind. Kyrie this year and IT last year are probably the best single years that any Celt guards have had.

Easy Ed McCauley had some big years in the early 50's too, but I have a hard time taking any Celt or NBA records seriously before 1956.

Turns out KG in '07-'08 is #1 in WS/48.
    yeah...if were looking at individual years than I guess you have to look at Antoine Walker in his 2002 season....but I thought we were looking at celtic careers. Also McHale had an insane year in 87-88 I believe it was
    El Presidente

Quote Originally Posted by rufo4100 View Post
    yeah...if were looking at individual years than I guess you have to look at Antoine Walker in his 2002 season....but I thought we were looking at celtic careers. Also McHale had an insane year in 87-88 I believe it was
    Sure, but by talking years, the thread got new legs.

McHale's big year was '86-'87, but he was filthy from '84-'88 and even had a couple of big years after that on O, but his range on D was greatly curtailed.

Antoine's best year as a Celt does not rank in the top 200 at least. Volume scorer, knucklehead supreme. He is easily my most hated Celt of all time that played over 550 games.

McHale's big year was '86-'87, but he was filthy from '84-'88 and even had a couple of big years after that on O, but his range on D was greatly curtailed.

Antoine's best year as a Celt does not rank in the top 200 at least. Volume scorer, knucklehead supreme. He is easily my most hated Celt of all time that played over 550 games.

Hahaha agreed

City of Champions

Antoine's best year as a Celt does not rank in the top 200 at least. Volume scorer, knucklehead supreme. He is easily my most hated Celt of all time that played over 550 games

I loved Antoine when he was here...even though he was a knucklehead and clogged up the offense....he was fun. Did you see how much weight he has put on? WOW! Felt bad for him at Pierce's retirement ceremony.
    El Presidente