Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    Spring trainning is here, got a chance to see Allard for the first time today, he threw one pitch at 90MPH but was mostly at 88, Pache looked awesome at CF.
    The velocity worries me. Hopefully we see the radar gun jump a little as Allard gets closer to being ready for the season.
    2018 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Mike Hughes CB UCF
    Round 2: Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh
    Round 4: Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State
    Round 5: Tyler Conklin TE Central Michigan
    Round 5: Daniel Carlson K Auburn
    Round 6: Colby Gossett G Appalachian State
    Round 6: Ade Aruna DE Tulane
    Round 7: Devante Downs LB California

Well spring training did just start, but the velo doesn't necessarily worry me. Everyone just gets their rocks off to hard throwers. You can finesse outs just fine still. Ask Kyle Kendricks

Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    We all know Pache is my guy, so thatís good to hear. How did Allardís other pitches and control look?
    He threw mostly fastballs (was hit hard), walked a batter in what in my opinion looked like trying to overthrow his fastball (it stayed way up), think I just saw 1 breaking ball and it was in the dirt. It was a quick inning though, thanks to a double play (a diving catch by the RF that doubled up the runner at first) so not enough pitches to really evaluate him.

Quote Originally Posted by noraj9 View Post
    Well spring training did just start, but the velo doesn't necessarily worry me. Everyone just gets their rocks off to hard throwers. You can finesse outs just fine still. Ask Kyle Kendricks
    Sure they can, the thing is that those kind of pitchers have less margin of error, he can be succesfull with a below average fastball though thanks to his elite breaking ball and good command. With a minimun of 130 IP 10 pitchers (excluding Dickey) averaged less than 90 MPH with their fastballs:

Kyle Hendricks
    Bartolo Colon
    Dallas Keuchel
    Mike Fiers
    Rich Hill
    Zach Davies
    Marco Estrada
    Gio Gonzalez
    Jason Vargas
    Josh Tomlin

Surprisingly, I consider 7 of them to be at least average starters, almost all of them have two things in common, a BB/9 below or close to 3 and GB% close or above 45. So those are probably going to be the keys for Allard to be succesful. Last year at AA he was 2.70 and 41% so he's on the right path. I hope to see his K/9 above 8 this year though.
    Last edited by beldugo; 02-24-2018 at 11:26 AM.

And if that's his floor, thats not a bad thing. Of course we want more but Still!

Good comps, Beldugo

Quote Originally Posted by noraj9 View Post
    And if that's his floor, thats not a bad thing. Of course we want more but Still!

Good comps, Beldugo
    That's the problem, that probably isn't his floor, is more like his "best case scenario" I obviously don't have the number but I have to believe that most pitchers with a below average fastball turn into fringe starters or AAAA players, that's why some scouts have soured on Allard, he suddenly became a lot more risky.

Yesterday, Newcomb was...well...the same, no that I expected anything different though, we got to see Soroka and Wright too.

Soroka gave up a homer to Yuli Gurriel on a hanging breaking ball, I saw two consecutive bad breaking balls in that at bat, Yuli didn't swing at the first one and hit the other one above the LF fence, everything else was refreshing about Soroka, the command he showed was excellent, a bunch of good pitches in the corners and I think I saw a plus changeup once. According to the stadium radar he touched 96 with one of his fastballs.

Wright was an entirely different animal, his stuff is better and his command a tad below Soroka, he has a power slider that is filthy, certainly a strikeout pitch. Stud.

Another interesting thing I saw was Jackson on defense, he looked good, in fact if you don't tell me he's a bad defender behind the plate I wouldn't noticed, maybe he just had a good game but from what I saw he deserves a chances to stay as a catcher for a while, nobody attempted a stolen base so did not see him throwing.

Swanson with a long homer off of Scherzer today. Looks to have adjusted his hands a bit, hopefully makes a difference.

Kazmir did not look good, velocity also down.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Kazmir did not look good, velocity also down.
    I know is way too early but if I have to guess, there will be no surprises this spring training, Newcomb will win the 4th spot and Gohara will be used as the number 5 when needed. Fried sent to AAA and Sims get the long reliever role. Don't know if Kasmir has a spot on this roster.

If he doesn't make the rotation I don't see him getting a pen spot. Not sure if he would accept being sent down to AAA but it's that or get released if not.

It is really to early just something I noticed with him, could be great his next time out. Low velocity right out of the gate is a worry though, but sometimes gotta get the arm going to get it back.

In Kazmirs defense the last time he started a game in the majors was August 2016. Maybe the long lay off played a part yesterday.
    2018 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Mike Hughes CB UCF
    Round 2: Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh
    Round 4: Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State
    Round 5: Tyler Conklin TE Central Michigan
    Round 5: Daniel Carlson K Auburn
    Round 6: Colby Gossett G Appalachian State
    Round 6: Ade Aruna DE Tulane
    Round 7: Devante Downs LB California

Kazmir also was probably going at 75% or so if that. With his injury history, heís probably not taking much risk yet.

Sooooo May Kemp shows up at Dodgers camp at his prospect weight! Isnít that what the Braves asked him to do?

Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    Sooooo May Kemp shows up at Dodgers camp at his prospect weight! Isnít that what the Braves asked him to do?
    Are they going to keep him? I thought they were looking to move him or waive him.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast