Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 243
  1. #211
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    Posts
    10,845
    What's the harm in sending Frank to the G league for a month or so or for the rest of the year to work on his game? He was drafted a PG....you put him at the SG...dude is still trying to learn how to play in the league.

    I say send him down and give Trey Burke his mins.....TB earned some playing time that he's not getting.

  2. #212
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    38,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Missing56&33 View Post
    What's the harm in sending Frank to the G league for a month or so or for the rest of the year to work on his game? He was drafted a PG....you put him at the SG...dude is still trying to learn how to play in the league.

    I say send him down and give Trey Burke his mins.....TB earned some playing time that he's not getting.

    blaspheme!!!!!!

  3. #213
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Knicks Boogie View Post
    Wow ... it's amazing how much you missed the point here.

    Mudiay was like Donicic Is now and Jonny Flynn was like Bagley is now before the draft but now Jonny Flynn hasn't been in the NBA for 5 years now and most of you think Mudiay will never be good.

    To follow that up...the #1 pick from last year's draft isn't playing right now because he can't shoot well enough to even be on the court...lol

    Wow I'm really excited to just lose all the rest of our games to get one of those guys. Go tank ... SMH

    Doesn't matter where we pick, the Knicks scouts and FO better follow the eye test. Mitchell was knocking down shot after shot effortlessly in those summer work outs with Frank. All the real scouts were saying how athletic Mitchell was but just because ESPN and Draftexpress didn't have him high enough on their mock drafts.... None of us wanted him!

    From now on I'm going by the eye test and if a player doesn't look NBA ready, Knicks shouldn't want him. I absolutely think Mitchell would be killing it with the Knicks bad coaching and all. The kid shoots the lights out, gets to the rim and jumps over the defense, is an excellent ball handler and passer and takes on the weight of winning down the stretch of games which has led to the Jazz winning 10 straight games. Mitchell is that #1 guy we needed to draft so that KP would have a real all-star to play off of. If the Knicks had drafted him KP wouldn't have been tired and maybe wouldn't be injured right now even though I know that was fluke.

    Perry, never mind what these amateurs think, do your own eye test and draft us an Oladipo type talent but at SF no matter where they have him ranked like you did with in Orlando..... please
    No, I was agreeing with you, just adding another layer the Knicks have had issues with.

    In reality, no team drafts a player because of hype. NBA teams are not making decisions based on what websites or fans predict. This is why so many mock draft predictions are wrong and you have those "shocking" draft night story lines where a guy drops or there is a reach. NBA draft boards looks completely different than anything those sites think, and from team to team they will have their differences.

    I agree that Mitchell would be doing good, of course, but as good? That is what I said and I don't think so. You're severely downplaying the difference in coaching staffs and the impact that has on a players career. Kawhi Leonard would not be Kawhi Leonard if he didn't get developed by the Spurs and have Chip Engelland to revamp his shot form, for example.

  4. #214
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,863
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Development also doesn't happen in one year. Donovan Mitchell isn't the product of development lol. He is a rookie beast and has been since the second he stepped on the NBA floor.
    You're downplaying how much work a great coaching staff can do in 6 months, and the impact of playing in a great offensive system in the right role. There is a reason why teams like the Jazz are so good at developing players and teams like Orlando consistently have prospects develop below their potential.

    I'm not saying he would be scoring 8 PPG if he was a Knick, I'm saying he wouldn't be as good as he is. If you think that guys like Jae Crowder can go from being good with Boston's coaching staff and system to garbage with Cleveland's but a rookie can't deal with similar issues then idk man. It happens all the time in the NBA.

  5. #215
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,692
    Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    blaspheme!!!!!!
    Who’s said not to use the G League? I don’t think anyone here has explicitly been against the idea of potentially having him play some games there.

    At the same time tomorrow’s last game before ASB, and we’re in tank mode. Frank playing 25+ minutes here for the actual Knicks shouldn’t be a problem either.

    Burke is a backup at best, sorry to break it to anybody who thinks he’s ever gonna be more than that. Dude is 25, this is close to his ceiling and that’s fine but he’s not a guy you want playing more than 15-20 minutes a game on a winning team. We’re in development mode now no?

  6. #216
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LI-NY
    Posts
    31,313
    Quote Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
    You're downplaying how much work a great coaching staff can do in 6 months, and the impact of playing in a great offensive system in the right role. There is a reason why teams like the Jazz are so good at developing players and teams like Orlando consistently have prospects develop below their potential.

    I'm not saying he would be scoring 8 PPG if he was a Knick, I'm saying he wouldn't be as good as he is. If you think that guys like Jae Crowder can go from being good with Boston's coaching staff and system to garbage with Cleveland's but a rookie can't deal with similar issues then idk man. It happens all the time in the NBA.
    What's best for the team isn't always best for every single player on the roster. That's when you have a player that's just not a good fit. Crowder is like 8 years deep in the league and were blaming "player development" for his sub-par play in Cleveland? Or are we blaming his fit in LeBron's offense?

    Where was Utah's vaunted player development for Trey Burke, Alec Burks, Dante Exum?

  7. #217
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NY... Jersey Raised
    Posts
    3,714
    Quote Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
    You're downplaying how much work a great coaching staff can do in 6 months, and the impact of playing in a great offensive system in the right role. There is a reason why teams like the Jazz are so good at developing players and teams like Orlando consistently have prospects develop below their potential.

    I'm not saying he would be scoring 8 PPG if he was a Knick, I'm saying he wouldn't be as good as he is. If you think that guys like Jae Crowder can go from being good with Boston's coaching staff and system to garbage with Cleveland's but a rookie can't deal with similar issues then idk man. It happens all the time in the NBA.
    Mitchell also went to college for 2 years and took a big step in his development year 1-2. He is only 6 months younger than Mudiay. But yea I mean many teams missed on Donovan obviously. When it was rumored that Phil was considering Donovan at 8 people on here (including me) flipped because it was consensus that he wasn't worthy of the top 10. That was wrong.

    This is it though, just like we were all discussing with changing the G-League system and having player go to college for no years and use the G-League to develop or stay a min 3 years in college if they do go. Many NBA teams need to produce and don't focus on things like developing the games of raw prospects. Some do but I think this is more rare and the onus is often on that individual to develop their game during offseasons. This isn't just about Frank but I think throughout the league. This is in part why they made the 1 and done rule to make guys go to college for at least a bit because there were so many high school guys getting drafted on potential and failing.

  8. #218
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    38,671
    Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfStarks View Post
    Who’s said not to use the G League? I don’t think anyone here has explicitly been against the idea of potentially having him play some games there.

    At the same time tomorrow’s last game before ASB, and we’re in tank mode. Frank playing 25+ minutes here for the actual Knicks shouldn’t be a problem either.

    Burke is a backup at best, sorry to break it to anybody who thinks he’s ever gonna be more than that. Dude is 25, this is close to his ceiling and that’s fine but he’s not a guy you want playing more than 15-20 minutes a game on a winning team. We’re in development mode now no?
    He's 25 with one full season in the NBA, he has grown leaps and bounds in his time in the G-league and his shot has totally improved.

    Backup? I'll take it and see what he can do, but Jeff has other plans and it don't include him.

  9. #219
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,692
    Quote Originally Posted by NYY 26 to 7 View Post
    Mitchell also went to college for 2 years and took a big step in his development year 1-2. He is only 6 months younger than Mudiay. But yea I mean many teams missed on Donovan obviously. When it was rumored that Phil was considering Donovan at 8 people on here (including me) flipped because it was consensus that he wasn't worthy of the top 10. That was wrong.

    This is it though, just like we were all discussing with changing the G-League system and having player go to college for no years and use the G-League to develop or stay a min 3 years in college if they do go. Many NBA teams need to produce and don't focus on things like developing the games of raw prospects. Some do but I think this is more rare and the onus is often on that individual to develop their game during offseasons. This isn't just about Frank but I think throughout the league. This is in part why they made the 1 and done rule to make guys go to college for at least a bit because there were so many high school guys getting drafted on potential and failing.
    People love to ignore this fact, thanks for pointing it out again, as many on here have done from time to time.

    That said yes on a re-draft Mitchell is likely going top 5.

  10. #220
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,692
    Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    He's 25 with one full season in the NBA, he has grown leaps and bounds in his time in the G-league and his shot has totally improved.

    Backup? I'll take it and see what he can do, but Jeff has other plans and it don't include him.
    He's a backup man. You're the only one who doesn't see it. Chances are he'll never be as good as Ish Smith, who... is also a backup.

  11. #221
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NY... Jersey Raised
    Posts
    3,714
    Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfStarks View Post
    Who’s said not to use the G League? I don’t think anyone here has explicitly been against the idea of potentially having him play some games there.

    At the same time tomorrow’s last game before ASB, and we’re in tank mode. Frank playing 25+ minutes here for the actual Knicks shouldn’t be a problem either.

    Burke is a backup at best, sorry to break it to anybody who thinks he’s ever gonna be more than that. Dude is 25, this is close to his ceiling and that’s fine but he’s not a guy you want playing more than 15-20 minutes a game on a winning team. We’re in development mode now no?
    Do you think our main club could win the G-League championship?

  12. #222
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,692
    Quote Originally Posted by NYY 26 to 7 View Post
    Do you think our main club could win the G-League championship?
    haha this got me. Maybe not, we're pretty horrendous at this point.

  13. #223
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,863
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    What's best for the team isn't always best for every single player on the roster. That's when you have a player that's just not a good fit. Crowder is like 8 years deep in the league and were blaming "player development" for his sub-par play in Cleveland? Or are we blaming his fit in LeBron's offense?

    Where was Utah's vaunted player development for Trey Burke, Alec Burks, Dante Exum?
    For sure, and better coaching staffs know how to implement a players skills into what they do. There are coaches who adjust what they do to make sense of their roster and there are coaches who just run one thing and expect every player to adapt. The better coaches in the NBA do the former.

    There is development and fit, both are important. Crowder obviously failed on the fit end, but a rookie can fail for the same reason and usually do because they lack of the overall skills of NBA vets. It's not like Mitchell came in on day one and was dropping 20. He scored a total of 14 points in his first 3 games and was shooting 20% from the field. Then he had a high volume game of 19 points on 7-20 shooting, then another 2 point outing on 1-7. He started 3 of those 5 games and didn't start again until game 12, despite having a few good scoring games in games 6, 8 and 9. Utah was running a lot more off the ball plays for Mitchell to try and get him easy shots. This helped him get acclimated and he improved.

    This is the kind of coaching I'm talking about. Here, Hornacek doesn't even do stuff like that for KP or Tim, let alone some rookie. Who is to say that Mitchell wouldn't have been left to own his devices and would have just been an inefficient chucker for 30 games like KP was?

    Quin Snyder got there in 2014-15, and if you saw Exum in Summer League this year he looked really damn good. The guy is perpetually injury prone, it is what it is. Maybe Burke isn't all that good? Utah has a defense focused system and he sucks on D, oh well. He improved there before he left though. Burks played 3 seasons before Snyder got there. Maybe some guys just aren't that good?

    What about the improvements Hayward made under him, and Gobert's development, and Hood, and Ingles? Just because Harrison Barnes was never all that and Ekpe Udoh never amounted to anything as top 10 picks should I knock Golden State's development process?

  14. #224
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,863
    Quote Originally Posted by NYY 26 to 7 View Post
    Mitchell also went to college for 2 years and took a big step in his development year 1-2. He is only 6 months younger than Mudiay. But yea I mean many teams missed on Donovan obviously. When it was rumored that Phil was considering Donovan at 8 people on here (including me) flipped because it was consensus that he wasn't worthy of the top 10. That was wrong.

    This is it though, just like we were all discussing with changing the G-League system and having player go to college for no years and use the G-League to develop or stay a min 3 years in college if they do go. Many NBA teams need to produce and don't focus on things like developing the games of raw prospects. Some do but I think this is more rare and the onus is often on that individual to develop their game during offseasons. This isn't just about Frank but I think throughout the league. This is in part why they made the 1 and done rule to make guys go to college for at least a bit because there were so many high school guys getting drafted on potential and failing.
    Yeah, definitely true.

  15. #225
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    26,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Missing56&33 View Post
    What's the harm in sending Frank to the G league for a month or so or for the rest of the year to work on his game? He was drafted a PG....you put him at the SG...dude is still trying to learn how to play in the league.

    I say send him down and give Trey Burke his mins.....TB earned some playing time that he's not getting.
    why would u send him down? people act like he's rotting on the bench here, he's played 52 minutes the past 2 games.

    I want him here with the team practicing against guys like mudiay and burke and playing against the best... u want to demote the kid after bringing in mudiay and burke? that makes zero sense... frank hasnt' done anything to warrant that, its not like he's being lazy.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •