Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    I understand why it is easier to make those rankings/lists by this line of logic. But do you see where I am coming from? I think my Duncan/Kareem swap made it rather clear, that we would have totally different opinions on at least 2 of Duncan/Kareem/Robinson.
    Yea I get that, but that's all hypothetical. We have to rank on what happened, not hypothetical situations, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    I understand why it is easier to make those rankings/lists by this line of logic. But do you see where I am coming from? I think my Duncan/Kareem swap made it rather clear, that we would have totally different opinions on at least 2 of Duncan/Kareem/Robinson.
    EDIT: I will add, and reconfirm, that Duncan's ability to be labeled a 4 or 5 is immensely valuable. He's a lot more fun to build a team around in an all-time draft than Kareem/Wilt/Shaq/Hakeem/Admiral because he provides versatility with the next picks, allowing you to take BPA at the 4 or 5 slot and work it out from there.

Quote Originally Posted by kdspurman View Post
    I mean they're just versatile players who probably could play either position if needed depending on the circumstances.

But Duncan's best years came with him playing the 4, and he was at that position most of his career. That's what we rank based upon right? Not ranked based upon what they "could have been positioned at if they were drafted by X team"

Teams played with 2 bigs more in his days anyway. Webber/Divac, Wallace/Wallace, Pau/Bynum, to name a few. Do you consider all those guys who are listed as PF's to be C's because of who they play next to? All of the 4's were capable of playing the 5 and probably did at some point.
    Agreed, paus ability to play the five is a plus over a guy like KG who loathed it, but what's the big deal about ranking players based on tradition? Duncan played more like a center than any of the guys you listed for the majority of his career. On most teams in history, he's their center. Rank him where you want but there's a difference in comp. Duncan had the luxury to play the 4 just as much as he had the skill set for it. Lucky mo****r man

Quote Originally Posted by kdspurman View Post
    Yea I get that, but that's all hypothetical. We have to rank on what happened, not hypothetical situations, no?
    Why tho. It's circumstantial, should the circumstances not be noticed

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456