Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 67 of 67
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    41,792
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I don't see what your point is. He played 4 therefore he is was a 4. The fact that he was the greatest 4 of all time despite you thinking he would be a more natural 5 just makes him that much more incredible. Tim Duncan played PF and therefore is the greatest PF of all time.
    Yeah but he played center more than most and in today's game would play it even more. Of course it makes him more incredible, that's kind of the point. It's hard to find pf that would rank higher than most centers. He can hide behind the pf label but that's why I rank swings and bigs separately, in today's game the pg is basically dead

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,989
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I don't see what your point is. He played 4 therefore he is was a 4. The fact that he was the greatest 4 of all time despite you thinking he would be a more natural 5 just makes him that much more incredible. Tim Duncan played PF and therefore is the greatest PF of all time.
    I think Shammyguy has a valid point. I'm chiming in that he has a valid viewpoint.

    Will Perdue played the 4 after he was traded for Rodman on the Spurs in many lineups. Before that he was mainly a 5 on the Bulls. I think team construction matters.

    I have no problem with Duncan being labelled a 4.

    I am a big Duncan homer and it would serve my bias towards him better being a 4, as the 5 position is historically the most stacked.

    That's true what you said though about his ability to play the 4 as well as he has considering how his body, game and main strengths lean towards a dominant 5. The again for the early part of his career, you can get away more with two massive bigs. Nowadays, it's hard to have an elite team with two all-star level bigs on your team.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    34,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Yeah but he played center more than most and in today's game would play it even more. Of course it makes him more incredible, that's kind of the point. It's hard to find pf that would rank higher than most centers. He can hide behind the pf label but that's why I rank swings and bigs separately, in today's game the pg is basically dead
    This is kinda my point. Just because I see him as a 5, doesn't mean he couldn't play the 4. That brings value, certainly. And it's not about me "being the smartest guy in the room" @MBT. So to me, he's a top-5 center of all-time. I don't consider him a 4, but if you labeled him a 4 then yes he would be the greatest ever. Which, I think some people like to do just because it is easier to rank him versus those other PFs than other Cs.



  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    21,833
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    This is kinda my point. Just because I see him as a 5, doesn't mean he couldn't play the 4. That brings value, certainly. And it's not about me "being the smartest guy in the room" @MBT. So to me, he's a top-5 center of all-time. I don't consider him a 4, but if you labeled him a 4 then yes he would be the greatest ever. Which, I think some people like to do just because it is easier to rank him versus those other PFs than other Cs.
    I do wonder where people would rank Duncan as a Center.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    41,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    This is kinda my point. Just because I see him as a 5, doesn't mean he couldn't play the 4. That brings value, certainly. And it's not about me "being the smartest guy in the room" @MBT. So to me, he's a top-5 center of all-time. I don't consider him a 4, but if you labeled him a 4 then yes he would be the greatest ever. Which, I think some people like to do just because it is easier to rank him versus those other PFs than other Cs.
    Bingo. It's partly why i grade west as a pg, it's just easier to classify and its a position he would play far more today

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cool Ranch, NM
    Posts
    28,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Bingo. It's partly why i grade west as a pg, it's just easier to classify and its a position he would play far more today
    They shouldn't be judged by what position they "would" play today. They should judged by the position they actually did play in their era and more specifically, the position they played in their peak. This is why I classify Duncan as a PF.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    I remember that series, didn't ainge try to go big and pop countered by going bigger, lol what a troll. Suns always suffer injuries in the playoffs so my memory is hazy on that one but I do recall Avery going berserk tho, really made me doubt kidds defense for the first time
    Elliott tore his quad (2nd in like 2 years) and was out for the year but yeah the Suns also had injuries (KJ always hurt but he played) but nothing as important as him as a starter. I think it really was more Pop playing chess and trying to get his backup big minutes early since Rifleman was ancient and the Spurs guards were pretty weak.

    Anyway the only really cool thing about the series besides being Duncan's first was watching McDyess. He has always been a favorite role player of mine but he was such a superstar-in-waiting before knees killed it. Between him and Grant Hill we were really robbed of some great frontcourt basketball. I think KG vs. Dice would be an argument today if not for that, same as Carter or T-Mac v. Hill being a real debate.
    Last edited by flea; 02-15-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •