Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkais9009 View Post
    Thatís a scary rotation
    It is, but that's one thing I love about baseball. It doesn't mean a thing once they get playing.

Cheapskate Dodgers.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    That total value of $126MM always strikes fear in me....same amount as the Barry Zito contract!
    $126M in 2018-2024 is not at all like $126M in whatever years Zito signed (2007?).

$21M aav now is around $16M aav in 2007 (because of inflation and raise in revenues).

That's kind of what was his originally expected deal.

I'm happy with it as a Cards fan. But damn is he ever nasty. And it's a good move for them considering their win probability.

Darvish, Lester, Q, and Hendricks are a dominating 1-4. And they have dynamic options for their 5th. They'll prevent plenty of runs this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiNYC View Post
    $126M in 2018-2024 is not at all like $126M in whatever years Zito signed (2007?).

$21M aav now is around $16M aav in 2007 (because of inflation and raise in revenues).
    Yeah, I'm fully aware of that. Has nothing to do with my post.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    That's kind of what was his originally expected deal.

I'm happy with it as a Cards fan. But damn is he ever nasty. And it's a good move for them considering their win probability.

Darvish, Lester, Q, and Hendricks are a dominating 1-4. And they have dynamic options for their 5th. They'll prevent plenty of runs this year.
    You're happy that the Cubs mightily improved themselves?

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Just now seeing that he is getting to $150 with incentives.

6/126 for Darvish is a good signing for the Cubs.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 02-10-2018 at 06:10 PM.

You're happy that the Cubs mightily improved themselves?
    I was happy that they added a guy for $25M a year for 6 years whose last great season was in 2013.

But now that it's $21 per year, that does change things a bit.

He had a rough year last year, is coming off the injury etc. But he clearly is a talented pitcher. The Cards were 4-5 games behind the Cubs as it was. This isn't going to help the Cards at all. But in the long term, this may hurt the Cubs.

I also wonder hos this might affect the Cubs next year in free agency.
    After this signing, their committed payroll for 2019 is going to be around $170-175M. Signing a guy like Harper would easily put them over the luxury tax (which they may be prepared to do), and they need to look at extending guys like Bryant/Rizzo/Contreras etc in 2020-2022 years

Heyward is hurting their payroll more than anything. They need to find someone to take that bad contract from them.

I would say the NL Central for 2018 is something like:

Cubs - 94-98 wins
    Cards - 89-92 wins
    Brewers - 85-89 wins
    Pirates and Reds - 68-72 wins

I was happy that they added a guy for $25M a year for 6 years whose last great season was in 2013.

He had a rough year last year, is coming off the injury etc. But he clearly is a talented pitcher. The Cards were 4-5 games behind the Cubs as it was. This isn't going to help the Cards at all. But in the long term, this may hurt the Cubs.

After this signing, their committed payroll for 2019 is going to be around $170-175M. Signing a guy like Harper would easily put them over the luxury tax (which they may be prepared to do), and they need to look at extending guys like Bryant/Rizzo/Contreras etc in 2020-2022 years

Heyward is hurting their payroll more than anything. They need to find someone to take that bad contract from them.
    They have already said they are willing to go over it next year. They wouldn't have done this deal if they felt it would hurt their chances of possibly signing Harper next year. They also plan on starting their own network in 2020 which will give them even more revenue.

Signing Harper was most likely going to put the cubs over next year anyway. If he picks the Cubs I'm pretty sure they'll go into the tax without looking back. Obviously it gets a little more difficult in 2021 when they'll likely want to try and jump under again to avoid the big penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    They have already said they are willing to go over it next year. They wouldn't have done this deal if they felt it would hurt their chances of possibly signing Harper next year. They also plan on starting their own network in 2020 which will give them even more revenue.
    I don't doubt their ability to spend.

It won't effect them in any way next year. They're still $9m under the luxury tax, and the Cubs start a brand new TV station in 2019...they'll not hesitate for a single moment to go over the luxury tax. It's 4 years in which the Cubs needs to worry about where the payroll will be, but with the CBA issues and with opt outs from players, it's really hard to tell how much they need to worry.

I'd also be careful with the "rough year" last year. He had a K/9 over 10, a 3.8 FIP, 3.65 xFIP and was worth 3.5 wins. If that's "rough" (especially with the way offensive numbers were way up), I'll be excited to see what a mediocre year looks like.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    It won't effect them in any way next year. They're still $9m under the luxury tax, and the Cubs start a brand new TV station in 2019...they'll not hesitate for a single moment to go over the luxury tax. It's 4 years in which the Cubs needs to worry about where the payroll will be, but with the CBA issues and with opt outs from players, it's really hard to tell how much they need to worry.

I'd also be careful with the "rough year" last year. He had a K/9 over 10, a 3.8 FIP, 3.65 xFIP and was worth 3.5 wins. If that's "rough" (especially with the way offensive numbers were way up), I'll be excited to see what a mediocre year looks like.
    I agree on all accounts. But you have to wonder if the Cubs could spend their way into a wall with the long term commitments necessary to guys like Bryant, Rizzo, Contreras, etc, if they add a lot of free agent signings. Lester falls off, but that's about it.

He had a 87 FIP-. At 200 innings, that's worth about 4 wins. If you can get that for the next 3 years, and then 2.5 wins for the following 3 years, you'd be thrilled with paying him $150M. But that also means he was completely healthy and throwing 1000-1200 innings for you.

^^^^

*gotta love having to edit my post after since this garbage site doesn't know how to list replies in chronological order
    Has been working fine for me. Used to have a problem but it stopped - could not explain why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast