Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by davearm View Post
    It's both fact and disingenuous. You presented 8 blown saves out of 26 as evidence that Morrow may not succeed as a closer. The statistics are fact, the conclusion is complete bunk.

If you wanted to create some sort of success ratio, using saves as the denominator is asinine for a non-closer. Just laughably bad and misleading.

The best setup guy in the league could plausibly have 50 holds, 2 blown saves, and 1 save. The f'ed up metric you've cooked up would indicate he's effective only 33% of the time (1 save in 3 chances), and would probably be a complete failure as a closer.

I'd look at those same numbers and say the guy has been successful 51/53 times, and will probably be great as a closer.
    Good for you. Glad you are rock solid in your faith in him as a closer. I know every successful 8th inning reliever that has moved to closer has also been succcessful.

Appreciate the asinine comment as well as you pointing out how f’ed up my cooking up save conversations was for a potential closer. You could have maybe not been so angered about it but whatever. Sorry I posted, we have nothing to worry about with Morrow.

You can’t make an opinion on anything in here without not only disagreeing but getting ripped for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    So Chatwood originally had the #21 jersey during the Cubs Convention but I think Darvish now has 21. I wonder what number Chatwood will be now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He previously wore 32, 27, and 52, which are all taken. Maybe he offers Duensing a deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Salvaged Ship View Post
    Good for you. Glad you are rock solid in your faith in him as a closer. I know every successful 8th inning reliever that has moved to closer has also been succcessful.

Appreciate the asinine comment as well as you pointing out how f’ed up my cooking up save conversations was for a potential closer. You could have maybe not been so angered about it but whatever. Sorry I posted, we have nothing to worry about with Morrow.

You can’t make an opinion on anything in here without not only disagreeing but getting ripped for it.
    You presented bad data. I thought he explained your mistake pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvaged Ship View Post

I don't think he was ripping on you, merely your conclusion and the logic behind it in this case.

2016 PSD Cubs IGT record: 16-3 #AuthenticatesWithmyIGTs

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    He previously wore 32, 27, and 52, which are all taken. Maybe he offers Duensing a deal?
    Darvish is #11, same as he was in Texas. Smyly will have a new #.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    I don't think he was ripping on you, merely your conclusion and the logic behind it in this case.
    Maybe the “asinine” and “f’ed up” was not necessary. Can just disagree and state your opinions without it. I am an old timer, not really necessary just because I am not an advanced stat guy. Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Darvish is #11, same as he was in Texas. Smyly will have a new #.
    Al Yellon
    @bleedcubbieblue
    1m1 minute ago
    More
    Yu Darvish will wear No. 11 for the #Cubs as shown at the news conference today. Drew Smyly, who had been assigned No. 11, changes to No. 39, and Jen-Ho Tseng, who had No. 39, will wear No. 1 #cubsbythenumbers @kaseyi99
    more clarification

I didn't realize how good Yu's English is.

Oh he had #11? Haha my bad. Thought I saw 21

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

In terms of the lux tax, this doesn't matter. However, if they end up switching to a salary cap system after this CBA, it could be beneficial to have lower salaries for the last 2 years. It also makes him easier to trade in those last 2 years.
    This is very true since we don’t know what the next CBA will look like. I am just thinking in terms of Lester’s contract. Lester’s last 3 years will be paying him an average of $24M a year and he will be a year older than what Yu will be in his own last 3 years (2021-2023) of his contract and Darvish will never get to Lester’s figures.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    The best thing that could happen is for the Cubs to end up paying him the full 150 mil.
    Like everyone else, I also read that the deal could go to $150M if Yu wins multiple Cy Young’s, however, since then all I’ve read are the escalators in the deal. $2M for winning a Cy Young and $1M for coming 2nd-5th and nothing about $150M. So maybe if Yu stays for 6 years and wins 3 Cy Young’s, his contract will be worth $132M.

Judging a closer by saves is like judging a leadoff hitter by runs scored or a cleanup guy by RBIs. The closer is supposed to convert saves like leadoff guy is supposed to get on and get in and the cleanup guy is supposed to drive people in, but it offers such an incomplete version of their performance. There are so many better ways now to isolate and evaluate a player's performance. We seem to understand that when it comes to runs, RBI, and wins, but for some reason people don't view saves the same way.

Judging a non-closer by saves is crazy. They can only compile negative numbers in that category if they aren't given the opportunity to rack up saves.

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Oh he had #11? Haha my bad. Thought I saw 21

He was 21 on the Dodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    This is very true since we don’t know what the next CBA will look like. I am just thinking in terms of Lester’s contract. Lester’s last 3 years will be paying him an average of $24M a year and he will be a year older than what Yu will be in his own last 3 years (2021-2023) of his contract and Darvish will never get to Lester’s figures.

Like everyone else, I also read that the deal could go to $150M if Yu wins multiple Cy Young’s, however, since then all I’ve read are the escalators in the deal. $2M for winning a Cy Young and $1M for coming 2nd-5th and nothing about $150M. So maybe if Yu stays for 6 years and wins 3 Cy Young’s, his contract will be worth $132M.
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think those escalators are per year. So if he wins the CY in 2018 his salary goes up by $2 mil in each of the next 5 years. If he wins another Cy in 2019 it goes up another $2 mil in each of the next 4 years. However, if he actually wins the Cy in each of the next 2 years then he's opting out of the contract anyway and it's the greatest 2 year signing in team history.

He was 21 on the Dodgers.
    I meant I thought he had a #21 jersey in the PC earlier today

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast