Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buyout acquisitions thread: Brandan Wright and Joe Johnson

So I figured this was worth its own thread since the Rockets struck first in the buyout market and added Brandan Wright. Oh, and also this news just dropped...

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    Bucks vs raptors in the ECF. Mark my words.

So with this these two acquisitions, Black is almost certainly a gonner. Then it'll be between Williams and his partially guaranteed contract and Onuaku and his full-guaranteed contract. I'm guessing Williams is probably out as well. It doesn't really matter to me either way since neither guy has really been a contributor at this point or is likely to get much playing time moving forward.

So what does the roster look like?
    PG: Chris Paul / Markel Brown
    SG: James Harden / Eric Gordon / Gerald Green / RJ Hunter
    SF: Trevor Ariza / Luc Richard Mbah a Moute / Joe Johnson
    PF: Ryan Anderson / PJ Tucker / Zhou Qi
    C: Clint Capela / Nene / Brandan Wright

But that's 15 guys, and (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) I believe only 12 can suit up on a given night. So Brown, Hunter and Qi will likely all not be suiting up barring injuries. So what does a realistic 10-man rotation look like? Probably something like this...

PG: Paul (32) / Harden (16)
    PG: Harden (18) / Gordon (30) / Green
    SF: Trevor Ariza (30) / Mbah a Moute (15) / Johnson(3)
    PF: Anderson (20) / Tucker (15) / Johnson (13)
    C: Capela (25) / Wright (15) / Anderson (8) / Nene

The great thing about Johnson is that he gives them so much roster flexibility. He can play SG, SF or small-ball PF. I've seen a lot of people mention him playing the 4 more lately, which seemed odd to me, but according to 82games, a good chunk of his minutes this season (around 40 percent) have come at PF this season. So he could really play the 2-4 competently, and his ability to create for others is a huge plus for a second unit that lacks a secondary playmaker when Harden or Paul aren't on the floor.

The challenge for D'Antoni will be finding minutes for everyone. I've got to think that Green will almost certainly not be getting minutes now barring injury or the team just needing a spark. And at center, I don't necessarily think Wright and Nene will both be getting significant playing time. I see it more as an "either or" scenario like we've seen with Nene and Black all season, but Wright is likely to see more playing time than Black has seen.

In theory, the best thing about this roster is that the Rockets should be able to get guys rest and if someone has to miss some games, there really shouldn't be any dropoff in their quality of play (minus Harden or Paul missing time). But come playoff time, this depth should also really come in handy as it gives the Rockets so much flexibility to go with the hot hand or to force the other team to adjust to their lineups. Imagine a second unit offensively that has Paul running with four shooters in Gordon, Mbah a Moute, Johnson and Anderson. Or they can run Paul with a more heavily defensive-focused five with Gordon, Mbah a Moute, Tucker and Wright. The possibilities with this roster are incredible...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...o-kings-buyout

Woj's article says that JJ can join the team after he clears waivers on Monday. So he'll miss the game against the Mavs tomorrow, but it sounds like there's a damn good chance he'll be with the team on Tuesday against the Wolves.

They only need to waive one guy. They have 14 guys on the roster, and two two-way players, Brown and Hunter. Black is an expiring contract, and can be waived without future implications. Troy or Nanu will leave dead money if the are cut.

But the Rockets don't have to cut two players here. They do have one roster spot open.
    Last edited by EDUTEXANS; 02-10-2018 at 09:05 PM.

Iím glad they picked up JJ. Iím telling you, heís going to give us some great baskets at pivotal moments, i can feel it

Quote Originally Posted by Texan_Rocket View Post
    Iím glad they picked up JJ. Iím telling you, heís going to give us some great baskets at pivotal moments, i can feel it
    If he breaks the rotation. Barring an injury, I donít see DíAntoni playing more than 9 guys in a playoff game. I think he likes the small rotation so the guys can get in the groove shooting the ball. Johnson has potential to play a handful of playoff minutes here or there, but I wouldnít expect much.

These two signings are great depth signings for the regular season, or if someone gets hurt. But ideally, they wonít really change anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    They only need to waive one guy. They have 14 guys on the roster, and two two-way players, Brown and Hunter. Black is an expiring contract, and can be waived without future implications. Troy or Nanu will leave dead money of their cut.

But the Rockets don't have to cut two players here. They do have one roster spot open.
    Didn't know that. Thanks for the clarification. I agree that Black definitely seems like the likely candidate to get cut.

Rockets signed Bobby Brown for the remainder of the season, and then immediately waived him to make room for JJ. He'll get about $500k just for helping out the Rockets signing a totally guaranteed deal last summer.

After all the talk about Morey treating every player like an asset a few years ago, the Rockets have really done well to a lot of players since. High class organization. And it says a lot about Tillman.

Rockets signed Bobby Brown for the remainder of the season, and then immediately waived him to make room for JJ. He'll get about $500k just for helping out the Rockets signing a totally guaranteed deal last summer.

After all the talk about Morey treating every player like an asset a few years ago, the Rockets have really done well to a lot of players since. High class organization. And it says a lot about Tillman.
    Definitely a class move on their part. I wish there was some kind of rule that would allow a team to sign a player to just sit on the bench and be sort of part of the team under the assumption that the player isn't allowed to ever step on the court in a game. Brown seems like a positive locker room guy and someone who the Rockets players really trust and respect.

That's called an assistant.

That's called an assistant.
    lol. Fair enough. They should just give him that title to keep him around.

Still, Bobby Brown at $500K is a steal for his social media work alone. #whatyo1slooklike

In all seriousness, though, it really is a class act by Morey and the Rockets, and that's the kind of thing agents take notice of. Bobby Brown's agent also represets Trevor Ariza, gor instance. And Paul George, JJ Redick and Ed Davis (all FAs next offseason). The Rockets were really close to signing Redick this offseason, but he ended up taking a more lucrative offer from the Sixers. Now that he's got his money, I wouldn't rule out the Rockets going after him with the MLE once again.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

According to Shams, the Rockets will waive Troy Williams to make room for Joe Johnson. Interesting. There's a very good chance Troy gets picked up off waivers by a young team. If not, the Rockets will take a $600K cap hit next season (the guaranteed portion of Troy's contract). Morey can also opt to stretch the cap hit over the next three seasons for $200k each year. EDIT: Just a correction, actually it's $120k over each of the next 5 seasons starting next year. It's twice the number of years remaining of the deal plus one. So, in this case, it's 5. I thought the non-guaranteed year din't count, but it does, even though there's no money guaranteed that year.

It doesn't sound like a Morey thing to just take a future dead money cap hit like that, even if only $600k, but maybe he has spent the last couple of days making sure a waiver claim would be placed on Williams if/when he got released.

So, Black stays. Probably smart. Wright has played only 67 games in the last three seasons combined, and NenÍ also has had his fair share of injuries over the years, including a season-ending one last postseason. Black is only 26, as well, and the Rockets will have his Non-Bird rights if they opt wo bring him back next year.
    Last edited by EDUTEXANS; 02-13-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Was thinking the same thing in regards to depth. If they cut Black and Nene or Wright get hurt, that'd....well....hurt. Way more depth at the wings spot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast