Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Jimmy G's Deal and the year of the QB...

I'm glad that all of the complaining has stopped about the Alex Smith trade. Now that I've seen Jimmy G's deal, I understand why we made the move we made. It doesn't mean that we have to like it, and it also doesn't mean we didn't mess things up with Kirk two seasons ago.

The bottom line is if you really watch football games, you know that Kirk isn't an elite QB and he is never going to be. He's not good reading zones between the numbers and his deep ball left a lot to be desired. He's under .500 as a QB and dudes are clamoring for him to stay like he's a top 5 guy.

I know some of you are going to tell me about injuries, the defense and the running game....all valid points. The truth is though, the great QBs adapt to situations. Other QBs have won with less than us (see Luck, Stafford, etc.) and there's no way that we could continue to pay for continued mediocrity.

This is the year of the QB. Jimmy just got 137.5 mil with 90 GTD. Everyone is going to get overpaid and even though our new QB is turning 34 soon, he'll still put up Kirk-like numbers with a much lower cap number. Hopefully that money will be used to improve the team. It's on the FO now. Keep your season tickets and relax fellas.

It also means we didn't have to trade for Alex Smith, either, and give up valuable assets to do so. Again, I will point to never seeing a trade where one of the teams got worse on offense, got worse on defense and gave up a top 100 draft choice. The trade was awful, and it doesn't matter what either Cousins or Garrapolo got on the free agent market. As far as the much lower cap number, $5-6 million isn't that much in the scheme of things, probably enough to get a draft class signed, or as last year's FA market goes, sign a McClain or McGee type with a few million left over. Not worth it.

Well, we get the pick back when Cousins signs, a bit lower though.

White Sox & Redskins Forever

and I'm not convinced either offense or defense will be worse because of this trade...

White Sox & Redskins Forever

Quote Originally Posted by coconut View Post
    and I'm not convinced either offense or defense will be worse because of this trade...
    I highly doubt we have someone to replace Fuller. It took us three years to replace Kyshown Jarrett and his slot cover ability. Smith is a big step down from Cousins, whether or not one thinks Cousins is elite or not. He's 34, and never been one to carry a team. He's had to have a much better supporting cast than Cousins over the year to be successful.

On another note, I personally believe that we should be building the team AROUND the quarterback, before actually going out and getting the QB.

With the way things are in the NFL, rookie QBs can come in and start immediately. With their contracts, you get five years out of them before worrying about the franchise tag and/or big money extensions. That is the best way to select your QB and extend your window to the largest it could possibly be.