Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Will Beastmode play nice with Chucky? (New Blog)

http://raidergm75.blogspot.com/2018/...th-chucky.html

Will Beast Mode play nice with Chucky?

Around this time last year, the entire Raider Nation was excited! Reggie Mckenzie just traded for Oakland’s own Marshawn Lynch. He came out of retirement to play for his hometown team. This signing had the Nation thinking superbowl. Lynch appeared to have been an upgrade over Murray and in some ways he was. However, the Raiders super bowl dreams quickly turned into a nightmare of a season ending in a 6-10 record and Jack Del Rio getting fired as head coach.

This offseason the Nation experienced excitement once again with the return of head coach Jon Gruden. The yearly rumors of the return of Gruden finally became a reality. But the question is, will this year's prize Jon Gruden keep last year’s prize Marshawn Lynch? Let's look at some important things to consider.

Marshawn Lynch’s running style is exactly kind of running back that would excel in Gruden’s system. Gruden loves to ‘pound the rock!’ as he says. He also requires his running backs to catch out of the backfield. Lynch can do both at an extremely high level even at age 31. So the combination of Chucky and Beastmode seems like a perfect marriage, but here is why it may not work.

Gruden and Lynch looks like the beautiful Hollywood couple that looks perfect together but they have terrible chemistry and end up in divorce. People that are saying keep Lynch are not looking at other important factors. If Derek Carr is going to succeed he has to be the unquestioned leader on the field and in the locker room. Sometimes that is hard for a young quarterback to achieve when, you have someone with such a strong and eccentric personality like Lynch.

On a personal level, you have to truly admire what Marshawn does for his community. It is extremely important for young kids in the hood to see and interact with living success stories like Lynch. It gives them hope that is needed. When you came up the hard way like Lynch did sometimes you develop personality traits that rub some people the wrong way, especially those who don't understand your background and things you had to overcome. This appears to be the case with Carr and Lynch. To me it appears that Carr is not always comfortable around Lynch. There is a video of the two on the sideline where Lynch tells Carr to “Shut you *** up!”. Also Carr tried to defend Lynch when he ran out on the field to defend not him but rather Marcus Peters. His hometown cousin who plays for the Kansas City Chiefs. There are also reports that a lot of the players on the team look up to Lynch.

Some will say this is no big deal but I beg to differ. It can be hard for a young quarterback to develop in this environment. Lets look at the example of Eli Manning. His first couple of years were disappointing. People even wondered if he was going to be a bust. Part of the problem was that he had two strong personalities on that team. They were Tiki Barber and Jeremy Shockey. They would undermine Eli and it stunted his growth, and like Carr he is not the type of quarterback that is confrontational. The Giants got rid of Shockey and Barber and the Giants won the superbowl the very next year. Coincidence? I think not.

Also look at Eli’s brother Peyton Manning. Marshal Faulk was a leader on the Colts and as he said in his own words, he needed to get traded, “ Basically, for Peyton to mature and grow into what he did--it would have been my team. We somewhat shared the team in a sense. Me leaving, it allowed for him to really take over and be the guy that he is now”. When Marshal got traded to the Rams it did allow Peyton to grow into the unquestioned leader of the Colts. I think the same is needed for Carr if he is going to grow into the leader the Raiders need him to be.

Not to mention I don't think Gruden will tolerate some of Lynch’s antics. Think back to when Gruden was the coach of the bucs. He often bumped heads with Keyshawn Johnson. Despite winning a superbowl with Keyshawn, he ended up deactivating him in 2003. That was a forty year old Gruden that did that. I seriously doubt that fifty three year old Gruden would be less tolerant of any player that slightly reminds him of Johnson. As a person gets older they learn from their past mistakes and prevent making the same ones in the future.

It also appears to me that Gruden has already created an environment to release the Oakland native and not be questioned. Think about it, if Jack Del Rio released him, it would be a hard sell to the fans. Gruden is the one coach that is more popular with the Nation than Lynch. This is reminiscent of the situation in Denver a few years ago. Tim Tebow was extremely popular with the fans and just won a playoff game. It would have been difficult even for Elway to get rid of him. The only way he could get rid of Tebow and maintain favor with the fans was to bring in someone more popular than Tebow. That someone was Peyton Manning. No one could blame Elway for replacing Tebow with one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time.

If you listen closely to Gruden he is already stating his case saying things like “Oakland raised me”. “ I miss the guys in the black hole, and can’t wait to see you”, and how he needs the help of the Raider Nation. If Gruden does release Lynch I don't think anyone would question it.

Gruden will have the biggest presence in the Raider organization. He will build the this team in his image and he won't tolerate any distractions. From all the reports we hear, Gruden will be focused on getting the best out of Carr. I don't believe that can happen with Lynch on the team. I could be wrong but I don't see how Lynch can co-exist with Gruden and Carr.

The wedding of Beastmode and Chucky may sound great, but the marriage may be annulled before it can get started.
    Last edited by Playaraider; 02-09-2018 at 09:43 AM.

After reports that Lynch is not responding to Gruden, including a no-show with a meeting with Gruden, is grounds for termination. I don't like Lynch, never did. Time to move on.

Lynch is setting a trend that he wants to be in control. That's not good. If Gruden allows this, he'll go right down the road of JDR. I'm sure EVERYONE is watching. Chucky is about to make his first big decision. I hope it's the right one. IMHO, I think it's time for Lynch to announce his "retirement".....if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by dbacknick View Post
    Lynch is setting a trend that he wants to be in control. That's not good. If Gruden allows this, he'll go right down the road of JDR. I'm sure EVERYONE is watching. Chucky is about to make his first big decision. I hope it's the right one. IMHO, I think it's time for Lynch to announce his "retirement".....if you know what I mean.
    I know what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash47 View Post
    I know what you mean.
    The man is not mentally tight. He's always marched to his own beat. Gruden must be shaking his head.
    We CAN and WILL get someone who contributes more, and will be more of a stability factor on the field.
    Too bad. I was curious to see how Chucky would use him.....guess that won't happen.

The man is not mentally tight. He's always marched to his own beat. Gruden must be shaking his head.
    We CAN and WILL get someone who contributes more, and will be more of a stability factor on the field.
    Too bad. I was curious to see how Chucky would use him.....guess that won't happen.
    His retirement can only be in our favor. I heard the Raiders are considering Jerick McKinnon, any comment on this?

His retirement can only be in our favor. I heard the Raiders are considering Jerick McKinnon, any comment on this?
    Seemed pretty solid. I will be surprised if the Vikes let him go. He'll be a lot cheaper than Bell.
    Big question in my mind....can he play every down?

Would be a nice feature back that complements Carr's style. Pair him with Olawale and you're set.
    RAIDERS. ARE. BACK.

Quote Originally Posted by mberr View Post
    Would be a nice feature back that complements Carr's style. Pair him with Olawale and you're set.
    Meh

Cut Lynch.

Nick...I do know what you mean.

"...prone to stoogery.".

Quote Originally Posted by GREATNESS ONE View Post
    Cut Lynch.
    Reverse that two words once that happens and the headline will be Lynch Cut.

"...prone to stoogery.".

It seems to me that Lynch has already made his decision. And he wanted it to be his decision, to go out his way. I wish him luck. He ran hard for us.

Quote Originally Posted by GREATNESS ONE View Post
    Cut Lynch.

Exactly!! Nothing to debate here... I don't think Gruden was ever going to keep him around anyway.

I loved how he ran during the last half of the season, he was performing well at the end. Got in shape, stayed in more instead of requesting to go to the sidelines after every play, showed some of the Beast Mode we wanted all along. What I hated was all the shenanigans! Too bad.

"...prone to stoogery.".

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast