Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    He succeeded in Chip's gimmick offense for most of a season and in an "RPO" system over the course of a few games.

I'm not even considering the time with the Rams in this equation.

He hasn't been successful with a non-gimmick offense with the Eagles. Based on this I expect him to flop wherever he goes next. But he could run another gimmick offense and be successful for another 5-10 games.

Actually what I think could be really good for him would be if he could get a BB designed offense, because I think BB can take guys like Foles and make them into franchise QBs.
    So you're saying when used correctly and not forced into a rigid offense that doesn't play to his strengths he is a franchise qb? What a novel concept. That's literally just about every qb in the NFL.

He succeeded in Chip's gimmick offense for most of a season and in an "RPO" system over the course of a few games.

I'm not even considering the time with the Rams in this equation.

He hasn't been successful with a non-gimmick offense with the Eagles. Based on this I expect him to flop wherever he goes next. But he could run another gimmick offense and be successful for another 5-10 games.

Actually what I think could be really good for him would be if he could get a BB designed offense, because I think BB can take guys like Foles and make them into franchise QBs.
    But Doug utilized his resources to play to Foles strength(s). I love Doug, but I don't believe he's the only coach that can figure that out. He'll flop if he doesn't go to the right system. There should be enough teams out there with good coaching staffs/systems to be ability to fit Foles in.

If a team goes and gets Foles and says, "Go out there and do your thing," Foles will most certainly flop. I don't think he'll only be successful for a few games though.

Also, Foles only has 1 full offseason in which he went into the next season as the starter. That was his first year into St Louis. There's never really been a time where the team was built with Foles really in mind. It's really impossible to gauge whether Foles will be a flop or not considering the limited time we've actually seen him being a focused starter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

SB MVP still not getting due credit.

Yeah, cool.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post

Yeah, cool.
    Santanio Holmes says hi.

Yeah, cool.
    He gets a hell of a lot of credit, but you can't deny how much the coaching helped him. He balled out for sure.
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Santanio Holmes says hi.
    That was Ben's.

PROCESSING

Foles didn't really fail in the 2014 season; he was still winning games. The league catching up to Chip Kelly is only a small part of the reason why Foles' numbers weren't as great as the year before. Much bigger reasons were that he lost DeSean Jackson (who lead the team in receiving yards and TDs in 2013), and IIRC in his 8 starts we rolled out 5 different OL groups, because of Lane's first suspension (4 games), as well as Mathis' and Kelce's injury.

As I said though, there was still enough talent for Foles to succeed. That wasn't the case with the Rams. This team made Foles, Keenum and Goff look bad, but for some reason only Foles is the gimmick QB.

What is gimmick anyway? Having an OL to protect you, having receivers who can get separation, having a strong running game to lean on, and having competent play-calling? Looks like the entire league is trying to run a gimmick offense.

That's what's the same with the 2013 and 2017 Eagles teams. Anyone who thinks the Eagles leaned heavily on RPOs in the Super Bowl doesn't know the difference between RPO and play action. The Patriots came prepared to stop the RPOs, but they couldn't stop the Eagles' run game.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    But Doug utilized his resources to play to Foles strength(s). I love Doug, but I don't believe he's the only coach that can figure that out. He'll flop if he doesn't go to the right system. There should be enough teams out there with good coaching staffs/systems to be ability to fit Foles in.

If a team goes and gets Foles and says, "Go out there and do your thing," Foles will most certainly flop. I don't think he'll only be successful for a few games though.

Also, Foles only has 1 full offseason in which he went into the next season as the starter. That was his first year into St Louis. There's never really been a time where the team was built with Foles really in mind. It's really impossible to gauge whether Foles will be a flop or not considering the limited time we've actually seen him being a focused starter.
    And in about 5-6 more games, teams will figure out how to counter Foles's strengths as identified by Doug, and it won't matter anymore. That's the point. You have to keep changing the "thing" about the offense, or have a QB who doesn't need a "thing" to begin with.

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

And in about 5-6 more games, teams will figure out how to counter Foles's strengths as identified by Doug, and it won't matter anymore. That's the point. You have to keep changing the "thing" about the offense, or have a QB who doesn't need a "thing" to begin with.
    Doug used what worked for him with Chip. That's a good amount of games that Foles played and succeeded in. Like I said, you've had a lot of extremes with Foles. 16 games started where his strengths were utilized and about 19 games started where he had lost a lot of offensive talent and terrible coaching.

It's unfair to say definitively if he's a QB who can't go with the flow and change a little bit. We haven't really seen if he can do that. So it's unjust to just say in 5-6 more games he'll fail regardless.

Foles > Jimmy G

Come at me.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Doug used what worked for him with Chip. That's a good amount of games that Foles played and succeeded in. Like I said, you've had a lot of extremes with Foles. 16 games started where his strengths were utilized and about 19 games started where he had lost a lot of offensive talent and terrible coaching.

It's unfair to say definitively if he's a QB who can't go with the flow and change a little bit. We haven't really seen if he can do that. So it's unjust to just say in 5-6 more games he'll fail regardless.
    I think there could be a little bit of both here. He can change a little bit, but this play style fits his strengths the best. What I saw with the Rams is he didn't feel out the pocket all that well. In a RPO offense, he could feel it a little more because he had less to focus on all at once.

He's the type of guy that over a decade ago, would have had run heavy play action, with a 2/3 tier throw on 1/3 of the field. Then you grow that to a bit more, and little by little you ended up opening everything to him on the field.

PROCESSING

Foles > Jimmy G

Come at me.
    I'd take foles contract over that Jimmy G contract any day..

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Your baby can't do this

Foles > Jimmy G

Come at me.
    I have Foles in the mock, If I finissh you better back me hard
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Boobs. I was eating *** one time and she farted

I would normally agree that Foles only benefited from a fresh face offense but he made some really great throws . Granted both defenses were putrid in the SB but he still played very well.

Quote Originally Posted by surf and turf View Post
    I would normally agree that Foles only benefited from a fresh face offense but he made some really great throws . Granted both defenses were putrid in the SB but he still played very well.
    Thatís kind of my point too. Go back and watch, itís not gimmick/design its his ability to make the throws. Foles has arm talent, but it gets dismissed. I remember mgj posting after Keenum made a throw during the divisional round I think that was an impressive throw. Foles goes on to make about 12 of em over the next 2 games.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast