Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,614

    Taking police test (written test) need advice /tips

    If there's any body that's an police officer and pass the written test , please tell me what to expect and if there's a good practice test site .

    Also need help with my push-ups.
    Reed Doughty .......where second chances will ALWAYS HAPPEN. Stay tuned.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI for some reason.
    Posts
    18,839
    My whole family is Chicago PD. I'll give you the same advice they've given to myself, my cousins, etc as we finished high school/college over the past 5-6 years (in my case, 8 years ago now):

    Do literally anything else.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bloomington IL
    Posts
    9,589
    That's because they are Chicago PD... i can't think of a tougher job haha

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    72,854
    just watch how Steve Guttenberg does it in Police Academy. I find it's a very accurate portrayal of how things work

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI for some reason.
    Posts
    18,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkais9009 View Post
    That's because they are Chicago PD... i can't think of a tougher job haha
    Granted, yeah. But it's not just Chicago. 15 years ago being a cop was a great job. Good money, great benefits, opportunities for advancement, and it was a well respected career.

    Now you're chastised, vilified, and far worse than any of that - you're not allowed to do your job anymore. Some trailer park crack addict starts throwing fists at you, you subdue him in a properly executed takedown maneuver but he happens to hit his head on a table, sink, whatever on the way down. He sues the department. You did everything properly, by the book - all of a sudden you're on desk duty for the next 6 months, year, 3 years, transferred to a different department, or in many cases, fired. Then comes the civil suit, and all of a sudden you can't feed your family because you happened to be the closest one to take a call to come get this ****ing ***hole to stop assaulting his wife.


    Consequently, many cops have taken to simply not trying to apprehend criminals, or doing the absolute bare minimum required (in many cases, showing up to the scene, taking a statement, getting the hell out of there). They've taken what was always a remarkably dangerous job and made it next to impossible to perform it properly, and by default, exponentially more dangerous.

    And if you were to ask any cop that's been on the job longer than ten years, they'll tell you this isn't unique to Chicago. This is going on everywhere.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI for some reason.
    Posts
    18,839
    Oh one more thing -

    Nobody wants the job either. The CPD test used to be every 5 to 10 years because that's how long it took them to get through a hiring list of applicants that took the test. For reference, there's been exactly one Chicago Fire Department test in the last 20 years. And there probably won't be another one for another 20+.

    CPD has been giving the test every year now since 2013. Their ads recruiting are plastered all over the city. They're offering a 75k salary in your third year on the job now, and they still can't get anybody in the door. That's what it's come to.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    72,854
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Granted, yeah. But it's not just Chicago. 15 years ago being a cop was a great job. Good money, great benefits, opportunities for advancement, and it was a well respected career.

    Now you're chastised, vilified, and far worse than any of that - you're not allowed to do your job anymore. Some trailer park crack addict starts throwing fists at you, you subdue him in a properly executed takedown maneuver but he happens to hit his head on a table, sink, whatever on the way down. He sues the department. You did everything properly, by the book - all of a sudden you're on desk duty for the next 6 months, year, 3 years, transferred to a different department, or in many cases, fired. Then comes the civil suit, and all of a sudden you can't feed your family because you happened to be the closest one to take a call to come get this ****ing ***hole to stop assaulting his wife.


    Consequently, many cops have taken to simply not trying to apprehend criminals, or doing the absolute bare minimum required (in many cases, showing up to the scene, taking a statement, getting the hell out of there). They've taken what was always a remarkably dangerous job and made it next to impossible to perform it properly, and by default, exponentially more dangerous.

    And if you were to ask any cop that's been on the job longer than ten years, they'll tell you this isn't unique to Chicago. This is going on everywhere.
    bingo. Everyone wants to slam cops left and right. What is totally ignored, is while we are in a time of race relations being finally addressed, and the culture of cops being addressed, the long term effects aren't quite known. But what I can guarantee you is, the quality of applicants for police will go south. It's a specific type that goes after that job, and the more intelligent applicants will go elsewhere (fire, EMT, etc), because they will realize what a catch-22 being a police officer is at this point.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    72,854
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Oh one more thing -

    Nobody wants the job either. The CPD test used to be every 5 to 10 years because that's how long it took them to get through a hiring list of applicants that took the test. For reference, there's been exactly one Chicago Fire Department test in the last 20 years. And there probably won't be another one for another 20+.

    CPD has been giving the test every year now since 2013. Their ads recruiting are plastered all over the city. They're offering a 75k salary in your third year on the job now, and they still can't get anybody in the door. That's what it's come to.
    and it will get worse. Much worse. The appeal of being a police officer has never been lower.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    17,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    and it will get worse. Much worse. The appeal of being a police officer has never been lower.
    I don't know man. There's still tons of free drugs.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,614
    Dude wtf is this
    Can you guys take this else where .
    I asked about the test not no ****ing Chicago ******** . Please respect , I'm trying to pass so I won't have to wait forever to retry this crap.
    Thanks.
    Reed Doughty .......where second chances will ALWAYS HAPPEN. Stay tuned.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    36,808
    Dude....if your best shot at passing this test is by getting tips from strangers on a sports forum, you may as well give up.

    "there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    12,878

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    36,211
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Dude....if your best shot at passing this test is by getting tips from strangers on a sports forum, you may as well give up.
    Yeah, I have to agree. I took the test 15 years ago and honestly it's not that hard. I past it and was on the list, but they had a hiring freeze and the list was only good for two years. After the two years I didn't care anymore and had a good job so I didn't retest.

    You don't need to study for the test. As long as you have a good memory, you will easily pass it. Assuming it's roughly the same test, they have you look at photos of criminals/crime scenes before the test, then on the test you put what was in the photo. As in what the suspect was wearing, etc. Studying the picture for 5 minutes I memorized pretty much the whole thing and aced that part. The rest of the test was basically common sense.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    36,808
    Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    YES!


    c

    "there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,793
    Does anyone know the crime rate in Chicago?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •