Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    I can't really see it that way.

Being an athlete shouldn't be treated as an occupation. Athletes are a product.
    Itís absolutely an occupation. The amount time that was dedicated to becoming elite athletes is significant. Whether or not they deserve the level of pay or not, they work harder than most people do to get and keep their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Those are usually sold by outside companies.

But the simple solution is to stop paying that in the first place. That will lower the demand, which will lower the price.

Complaining, but still paying the high price.....is how you continue to have a high price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know that they contract out, and that is why the prices are so high. By using those concession groups, the teams now don't need to interview for all of those positions, pay wages, benefits, etc to them. On the flip side, that works for the people working, whether cooks, cashiers or beer vendors, because they can interview with one company and work events all over the local area.

That being said, the Falcons proved this year that they could do cheaper concessions.

As for the price, I don't have a problem buying beer at that price. My guy takes care of me at every event not just baseball games, and I'm the first guy he sees on his way down and he will grab whatever beer we want. For food, I tend to buy what compares to other prices outside of the park. For Oriole park, that would include Boogs BBQ, the bratwurst stands (not adding fries) and the seafood stand (though I don't eat there, the prices are pretty reasonable considering it's seafood at the ball park.).

Sorry guys... but comparing the entertainment industry to the service industry is dumb.

If you want to compare sports to another profession.... movie actors makes much more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    Itís absolutely an occupation. The amount time that was dedicated to becoming elite athletes is significant. Whether or not they deserve the level of pay or not, they work harder than most people do to get and keep their job.
    I think of it as R&D.

The luxury tax is the dumbest thing ever and it basically prevents teams from paying players what they want. Free agency has been a joke this year.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

Quote Originally Posted by Nabeshin View Post
    More than half of the PSD posters are in in better shape than the majority of these overpaid prima donnas making millions, so you know my answer.
    Baseball players are in great shape these days.

And you are giving people on PSD waaaaaaaaaay too much credit. These cheeto finger turds are not in better shape than pro athletes lol

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    do the players have the same risk as their so called employers when they sign said players to 150 plus million dollar contracts??? nope... so no they arent underpaid compared to their employers... they are overpaid compared to all other sports because they get 100 percent promised contracts on top of it being the least physical sport... they are overpaid but all sports players are.
    I hate this argument about the owners risk. Welcome to the world of business. Part of the risk calculus of buying a team is will the team value appreciate and what will the balance of free cash flow vs. competitiveness on the field look like. The inference of the argument that the owners are taking a risk is a cake and eat it too argument and is tantamount to saying they should be guaranteed profitability oh and by the way benefit from the sale of their team down the road. Like I said welcome to the world of business. There are always risks and labor costs is one of those. No I don't think the players are overpaid in MLB because they get a smaller percentage (and shrinking) of total league revenue than the other American team sports.

Demand for the product (baseball) from all platforms (streaming, TV, Live attendance) drive revenues. Salaries don't drive stadium prices.. Lot of you have this backwards. The demand is obviously there. Do a thought experiment - If all MLB players played for 15 dollars/hour why would owners drop prices when they have already found the right revenue maximizing combo of pricing vs. butts in seats?? The owners would simply pocket the difference in the way of higher profits. I am always irked that people resent high player salaries when we are the ones that put so much emphasis and money into watching and talking about sports. They are worth what they can get by definition, plain and simple.

Are baseball players overpaid? sure if you compare them to doctors, teachers, construction workers,...etc (more important jobs) but if you compare them to overall entertainers like actors, singers, TV producers,...etc then the answer is NO.

It's the way society is today. Heck some are getting rich just by taking pictures of themselves naked in Instagram, now that's really overpaid.

Let's look at it this way. Would any of you pay money to watch a doctor perform surgery or for a construction worker fixing or building something? Obviously no.

You would pay that amount to watch an entertainment, and if you multiply that by millions of people then that's how these performers get their worth and value. That's how things work whether we like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by KingPosey View Post
    Baseball players are in great shape these days.

And you are giving people on PSD waaaaaaaaaay too much credit. These cheeto finger turds are not in better shape than pro athletes lol
    A few of us are in great shape mister!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456