Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 86
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    25,845

    Are baseball players overpaid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    No, not at all.



    Revenue is based on demand, entirely.

    Costs are based on a separate demand, entirely.

    The cost of doing business is justified by the revenue generated.


    If players made $1 billion collectively per year in salaries instead of $4 billion collectively, you would still be paying the same price for admission, concessions, and your cable packages.

    Look into the laffer curve.


    To break this down.


    If the Giants can sell 40K tickets per game at $30.00 a piece over 81 games, that is a total revenue of $97,200,000.00

    If they lower the price to $20.00 a piece for those 81 games, but can only sel 2K more tickets up to 42K in tickets, then their total revenue is only $68,040,000.00

    And if they raise the ticket price to $35.00 a piece for those 81 games, they would then sell 32K tickets, then their total revenue would be $90,720,000.00.

    Their ideal price under the three options would be $30.00 a ticket.

    They are charging the most they can in the highest volume.

    That is very literally, how all things are sold to consumers, literally everywhere.

    The margins simply justify being in business.

    The player salaries are negotiated based on the demand that the players can ask for because they know the revenue points the teams are making and the relative demand for their services spaced out among 30 competitive teams.


    Every business in America operates this way.
    Where does revenue come from? The tooth fairy? Ultimately it cones from our pockets.

    Your willingness to pay escalating prices for products and services related to MLB not to mention sharing the cost for financing stadiums pumps money into all aspects of MLB. The more revenue - the more money is directed into players and owners pockets.

    As I said - the fans are overcharged ó unless you think the cost of attending a game from parking to concessions to decent seats is reasonable.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dugmet; 02-10-2018 at 07:29 PM.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    50,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Where does revenue come from.

    Your willingness to pay escalating prices for products and services not to mention financing stadiums pumps money into all aspects of MLB.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You said
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    There's a direct correlation between salaries and the money fans pay for tickets, concessions, cable packages, subscriptions services, parking, etc.
    And they aren't related.

    What you are willing to pay, drives the revenue. But you aren't paying that much so that the players can get paid their levels of compensation. You are paying that much regardless of what the players make because the demand is there.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,587
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Where does revenue come from? The tooth fairy? Ultimately it cones from our pockets.

    Your willingness to pay escalating prices for products and services related to MLB not to mention sharing the cost for financing stadiums pumps money into all aspects of MLB. The more revenue - the more money is directed into players and owners pockets.

    As I said - the fans are overcharged ó unless you think the cost of attending a game from parking to concessions to decent seats is reasonable.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Teams charge as much as fans will pay. Player ask for as much as teams will pay. Thatís it. They donít charge more for a hot dog if they just signed an expensive player.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    286
    Fans are not at all overcharged. If they were overcharged, stadiums would be empty or at the most half full.


    From strictly a business side of it... the business has a responsibility to it's share holders to make as much profit as possible. As Jeffy pointed out... their goal is to make the most off of their limited product. (81 games per year)

    It is much better for them to have 40,000 in attendance at $60 per ticket than it is have 50,000 in attendance at $40 per ticket.

    They make more, and have less overhead with fewer attendees (fewer concession workers, guards, etc)

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    25,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    You said


    And they aren't related.

    What you are willing to pay, drives the revenue. But you aren't paying that much so that the players can get paid their levels of compensation. You are paying that much regardless of what the players make because the demand is there.
    Of course they're related. The more money the owners get from fans and from other entities that fans subsidize, the more money available to pay players. Players are paid astronomical amounts because revenue streams are astronomical because fans willingly pay astronomical prices.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    50,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Of course they're related. The more money the owners get from fans and from other entities that fans subsidize, the more money available to pay players. Players are paid astronomical amounts because revenue streams are astronomical because fans willingly pay astronomical prices.
    Well yeah, of course.

    I was just clarifying that you don't pay high prices because players make more. That's what I thought you were implying.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,587
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Well yeah, of course.

    I was just clarifying that you don't pay high prices because players make more. That's what I thought you were implying.
    It a matter of the direction of causation. More revenue can lead to high salaries but higher salaries do not lead to higher revenue.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Baseball Heaven
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Then you can't also cry about the price....if you are willing to pay the price.
    All according to your point of view. I really love Ruth's Chris steakhouse. I rarely go because the prices can be a bit much. When we do go, I grumble under my breath and pay the piper. Same as going to ballgame. I know in advance it's crazy high for parking, game and concessions (even exorbitant for merchandise) and I complain all while having already allowed for it in my entertainment budget.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,587
    Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    All according to your point of view. I really love Ruth's Chris steakhouse. I rarely go because the prices can be a bit much. When we do go, I grumble under my breath and pay the piper. Same as going to ballgame. I know in advance it's crazy high for parking, game and concessions (even exorbitant for merchandise) and I complain all while having already allowed for it in my entertainment budget.
    Why ruin a great steak by complaining about it? Either itís worth the cost or it isnt. As soon as you place that order, you are saying itís worth it.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    35,836
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    suppose to bring the nephew to a game and not get him some hotdogs and nachos? if it was just me sure id have no issues... but i like taking family and i cant just tell them nope you cant have an 8 dollar hot dog lol
    Take him to Mcdonalds before the game and you can fill him up for the same price of a hotdog and he won't be hungry for anything at the game. I did that all the time with my nephew. I hardly ever buy consessions at the game, it's a ripoff. Its not like the food is that great and I can go three hours without eating anything. I can't believe people pay $10 for a beer, or even multiple beers, that's crazy.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    35,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabeshin View Post
    More than half of the PSD posters are in in better shape than the majority of these overpaid prima donnas making millions, so you know my answer.
    Yeah, that is definitely not true. They workout for several hours a day, daily. Pretty sure hardly anyone on here does that. They also have personal chefs and the top trainers in the country.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    32,123
    They're overpaid in terms of the value they bring to society but underpaid within their own market. It's just that sports makes a disproportionate amount of money compared to things that are actually more critical and valuable to society (i.e. doctors, teachers, etc.).


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    53,292
    The main stars are. They should probably only be paid about 80% of their contracts.

    There's been a bubble for a while but it looks like that declined a bit. A few years ago, Darvish is making nearly $200 million over 7 years.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    53,292
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    They're overpaid in terms of the value they bring to society but underpaid within their own market. It's just that sports makes a disproportionate amount of money compared to things that are actually more critical and valuable to society (i.e. doctors, teachers, etc.).
    I can't really see it that way.

    Being an athlete shouldn't be treated as an occupation. Athletes are a product.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,587
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    They're overpaid in terms of the value they bring to society but underpaid within their own market. It's just that sports makes a disproportionate amount of money compared to things that are actually more critical and valuable to society (i.e. doctors, teachers, etc.).
    Itís our own doing. Thereís no ESPN or ProSports forum equivalent for teachers for a reason. We donít value them the way we do sports stars.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •