Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I'm not crying rivers. But truly, the guys who are out there hurting themselves and doing the work should probably be making more than under 50% of the total revenue brought in by the sport. 30 guys are reaping over 1/2 of the entire pot, but the hundreds of players who go out there and do the work, make ~44%.
    But they aren't.

The operating expenses of these clubs is massive.

The average team noi's between $10-25M per year. Some teams pull in loses (like the Dodgers last year) or much larger gains because they are rebuilding and their tv deals stand (like the Phillies), but that NOI is a joke for the size of the investment.

If they were actually profiting 50%, I'd agree with you, but operating these clubs isn't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    NBA players make more now... much more. Guys are getting paid $40 mil per year in the NBA these days. It's crazy.
    Curry is making $34.6M this year. That's the highest. But a few players will see their deals escalate into the low 40's over the next few years (Curry, I think Wall, etc).

In baseball, Trout (and Kershaw) will be the highest paid in 2018 at $33M (with incentives that push it a little higher)

Harper, and maybe Machado will possibly push 40 AAV years into their next deals....again, possibly.

If the NBA didn't have a salary cap, Bron, Curry, Durant, etc would probably be topping $50M right now. The way that sport works, it's so star built and focused, that the highest bidder could quickly by a chip.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    No, of course not.

I do love how people in that comments section seem to believe that contracts are affecting their ticket prices.

It's hard to believe how little business sense people have. Of course, probably teenagers posting that.

You can't quantify greed. Greed is self-explanatory and does not require an in-depth analysis. As recently as 1996 it cost only $11 to sit in field box seats at Dodger Stadium. Today, it's a couple hundred, at least. People's wages have not increased an equivalent amount to justify such increases.
    Last edited by dodgerdave; 02-08-2018 at 08:42 PM.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    You can't quantify greed. Greed is self-explanatory and does not require an in-depth analysis. As recently as 1996 it cost only $11 to sit in field box seats at Dodger Stadium. Today, it's a couple hundred, at least.
    Right.

Because there is a demand to do it...a far greater demand than there was in 1996.

Overtermed is a better way to put it.

Baseball fans are overcharged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

i dont mind paying a hundred for a seat... i mind paying 15 for a beer and 8 for a hot dog when i am paying 100 for a seat.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    i dont mind paying a hundred for a seat... i mind paying 15 for a beer and 8 for a hot dog when i am paying 100 for a seat.
    The collective “we” doesn’t mind enough to drive the price down. If people boycotted $15 beers and $8 hot dogs, they’d lower the price till people started buying them again. You can’t fault them for charging us what we’ll pay.

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    I kind of wish we could publicatize professional sports so they were all like Green Bay. Let the cities own the teams. Drop all the ticket prices. Drop all the sallaries. Everyone would still be rolling in it and I wouldn't have to do anything to support the ****ing Ricketts family.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Baseball fans are overcharged.

Completely unrelated

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    Those are usually sold by outside companies.

But the simple solution is to stop paying that in the first place. That will lower the demand, which will lower the price.

Complaining, but still paying the high price.....is how you continue to have a high price.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Overpaid to the rest of society? Yeah.

They’re underpaid compared to their employers though.
    Just like the rest of society!

I have no sympathy for millionaires living out their childhood dream crying about dollars. I would kill for their job.

Are baseball players overpaid?

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    I kind of wish we could publicatize professional sports so they were all like Green Bay. Let the cities own the teams. Drop all the ticket prices. Drop all the sallaries. Everyone would still be rolling in it and I wouldn't have to do anything to support the ****ing Ricketts family.
    The Packers have the 4th highest average ticket price in the NFL....despite being one of the smallest markets.

Pricing and costs are two completely different things.

No business sets their price based on their costs. None (that are worth a lick).

The margins and costs are what justifies the existence of the business. But pricing is based on demand, and costs are based on justifications to help produce revenue.

The problem is that certain players make next to nothing compared to to others.

The entire team control/arbitration is done incorrectly in my opinion. Players are paid pennies (comparatively) for their 20's years, and then millions for their years in their 30's. Minor leaguers are paid nearly nothing while trying to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Completely unrelated

There's a direct correlation between salaries and the money fans pay for tickets, concessions, cable packages, subscriptions services, parking, etc.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast