Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    They'd probably have had to trade Gant or Justice. Gant made about 3m, Barry 5, Maddux made 5 after his new contract. They wouldn't have needed McGriff because the Giants wouldn't have been so far ahead without Bonds. So I think they would have traded Gant. Right at that point in time he had been moved off CF permanently so unless they wanted to push one of them to 1B, somebody had to go. Although they could have shipped Justice out since he was turning into a primadonna and had complained about his contract. They conceivably could have gotten Bonds in 92 and Maddux in 93. That would have been crazy.

Justice was one of my favorite players in his early years. In my early card collecting days I pulled his Leaf RC from a pack and it was the most valuable card I had pulled myself to that point so I became a big David Justice fan. Loved that swing.
    And, as we just saw, that big swing for the Braves in 95

It would have been insane if they could have had Bonds and Maddux added to that core....while Chipper and Andruw Jones come along, add McGriff, throw Glavine and Smoltz as well in there. Oh, and Javy Lopez, and Blauser and Lemke and Avery and Klesko...and Jesus.

Btw, did you know Fred McGriff has the best individual winning percentage of any Braves players of all time while in the starting lineup? 397-231 - .632 (Klesko second, Spahn third)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    And, as we just saw, that big swing for the Braves in 95

It would have been insane if they could have had Bonds and Maddux added to that core....while Chipper and Andruw Jones come along, add McGriff, throw Glavine and Smoltz as well in there. Oh, and Javy Lopez, and Blauser and Lemke and Avery and Klesko...and Jesus.

Btw, did you know Fred McGriff has the best individual winning percentage of any Braves players of all time while in the starting lineup? 397-231 - .632 (Klesko second, Spahn third)
    Makes sense. He was there a short time and they won games at a very high clip in every one of those seasons.

I just looked back at how dominant the pitching was during their run. Interestingly their most impressive season was before Maddux, in 1991. Their pitching racked up 30 bwar, all while Charlie Liebrandt (4.5) was the only guy even making a million.

What's the modern record for bwar for one staff? That's gotta be up there. They got 9 war from their bullpen.

Makes sense. He was there a short time and they won games at a very high clip in every one of those seasons.

I just looked back at how dominant the pitching was during their run. Interestingly their most impressive season was before Maddux, in 1991. Their pitching racked up 30 bwar, all while Charlie Liebrandt (4.5) was the only guy even making a million.

What's the modern record for bwar for one staff? That's gotta be up there. They got 9 war from their bullpen.
    I believe it's the 06 Cubs or maybe the 17 Indians, could also be 26 A's.

Highest fWAR - 70 Cubs - 26.0 and 11 Phillies - 26.0

NL Cy Young winners

Glavine - 91 (Avery 6th)
    Maddux - 92 (as a Cub, Glavine 2nd)
    Maddux - 93 (Glavine 3rd)
    Maddux - 94
    Maddux - 95 (Glavine 3rd)
    Smoltz - 96 (Maddux 5th)

97 - Maddux 2nd, Neagle 3rd

98 - Glavine (Maddux and Smoltz both 4th)

99 - Milwood 3rd
    00 - Glavine 2nd, Maddux 3rd

That's just lol

3 aces, one rotation, all Cy Young winners, kept for 10 years?

So, watching the special on MLBn about the 90s Braves. I never heard this but they had a deal in place for Bonds in 92 but Leyland threw a fit when he was told about it and the deal was nixed.

Also it's interesting how little mention Avery gets when people discuss that team. For that 3 year stretch (91-93) at ages 21-23 he was good for 220 IP at around a 3.3 ERA. He wasn't quite the same after the strike, though.
    After Avery they had Denny Neagle and later Kevin Millwood as replacements. I always thought they lucked out with those two guys.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

11 Phillies posted 37 bwar holy ****

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    I imagine everybody would regardless of what side they are on regarding this subject.
    Well, yeah, I was just pointing out how an incredibly rare feat can happen regardless of how the regular season/playoffs go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    Ok, new variable. You've got a terminal illness. Doctors dont know how long you will live but they are certain 15 is max. Do you follow the team that wins 2 rings in the next 15 but blows the other 13 or the team that wins the division every year but only one championship.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk
    I don't think that really changes my mind, honestly. I'm not living passed the 15th season anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Getting UGGLA View Post
    As a Braves fan for 31 years, the Division Titles run was extremely painful as most seasons amounted to playoff failure and continued misery. 2>1 so, easy decision for me.
    And here's what I'm saying. I'm the same age too.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    I'd rather my team win one ring but be consistently good and always having a chance vs two random rings then be absolutely terrible like the Marlins.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Ok, but they really don't have a chance since you know they're only winning 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Well, yeah, I was just pointing out how an incredibly rare feat can happen regardless of how the regular season/playoffs go.

I don't think that really changes my mind, honestly. I'm not living passed the 15th season anyway.

Really? I don't get that. If you know you could go anytime wouldnt you want to see great baseball and not waste a min of it (or in this case seasons). I guess thats the krux of it, i value the day to day experienced too much to choose 13 years of garbage knowingly.

Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post

Right... but arent we talking about a sort of a "pick which one you would prefer and then go back in time and live it" scenario? Its safe to assume in the braves case you feel confident about your chances every year ...

Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

I guess it's all about you're own perception though. I love baseball but I also wouldn't waste my last years getting hyped over something that doesn't really result in success (again, this term is relative to the person). I've also said that I could watch a bad team have good things happen. I'd watch some good things in multiple bad seasons if I knew I'd be watching, even, one more championship.

To your second post; Well, yeah, but it still doesn't change the fact that you know the results, does it? I've mentioned, that if I didn't know the results I absolutely would choose the Braves and I guarantee every one would.

If the options were, 'Would you rather watch 15 years straight of post season baseball with no guarantees of making it/winning a WS' or '2 years of post season baseball in those same 15 years where both were WS appearances?'

I think that's a little tougher. You get two guaranteed shots at a WS vs 15 post season appearances with no guaranteed shots at a WS. I think then I'd take the 15 straight.
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

There is no joy watching a great team knowing they will fail when it matters most.

All those regular season wins would be tempered because you know it means nothing in the grand scheme of things besides the one season.

Knowing the outcome ruins the experience but that's what this question is. YOu have to take the two titles. If you don't you're a loser. Just like the Dodgers were this year

we need a poll to settle this once and for all haha

Quote Originally Posted by natsbats View Post
    There is no joy watching a great team knowing they will fail when it matters most.

All those regular season wins would be tempered because you know it means nothing in the grand scheme of things besides the one season.

Knowing the outcome ruins the experience but that's what the question is.
    These are my feelings exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by natsbats View Post

Until it arrives, how would you know which season is going to be the one season? You seem to be operating under the presumption that it's going to be the first of the fifteen, which only has like a 6% chance of being the case.

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Until it arrives, how would you know which season is going to be the one season? You seem to be operating under the presumption that it's going to be the first of the fifteen, which only has like a 6% chance of being the case.
    I used the Braves championship earlier in this thread. I believe that was year 4 (5 if you count the strike season) of the run. So for the next 10 seasons you have competitive baseball but you know there is no championship.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast