Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 107
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    37,175
    Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    To be honest, Id take either or at this point. Tigers have won one in my lifetime but I was 4
    No doubt. I don't fault any one that would take a run that results in at least one championship regardless of the other seasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI for some reason.
    Posts
    18,562
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I just don't see those as being that entertaining when they represent not being a champion.
    There is a championship in there though. This has been said already but if it were zero championships and 14 division titles then I'd take your side without even much thought.

    Division titles and especially league pennants don't represent failure to me, personal opinion I guess.


  3. #78
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI for some reason.
    Posts
    18,562
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    There is a championship in there though. This has been said already but if it were zero championships and 14 division titles then I'd take your side without even much thought.
    Really what it all boils down to is the difference in one ring vs two over the course of 15 years. And how you value the other 13-14 years against the difference in rings.

    Division titles and especially league pennants don't represent failure to me, personal opinion I guess


  4. #79
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    37,175
    I'm not trying to convince you and I will venture you're not trying to convince me either because it boils down to personal preference.

    I don't mean failure in the sense nothing was accomplished, just the ultimate goal wasn't obtained like the other team did one more time in the same amount of years.

    I just look at it as if you said to me you could have 2 championships or 1 championship in 15 years, what would you take? Since the ultimate goal is championships, I'd take 2 every time as long as I know the results before hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    37,175
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Really what it all boils down to is the difference in one ring vs two over the course of 15 years. And how you value the other 13-14 years against the difference in rings.
    Knowing the results really sway my opinion. I just can't for the life of me choose an option that gives me less championships if I have a choice of how many I will have. If I know the 14 years of competitive baseball are going to result in no championship then they don't really hold much value over the 13 years of non competitive baseball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    11,212
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    But what do you get out of a great regular season without a WS ring?

    You get entertainment, sure, but besides wins, what are things that can't happen in a crappy season? I witnessed Rhys Hoskins burst onto the scene and look to become a pivotal part of an up and coming team. That happened on one of the worst teams in baseball last year.

    I just think a great regular season of dominance should've lead to more than 1 WS ring. There aren't many teams that have such sustained success and only come off with one championship.

    I enjoy good baseball as much as the next guy, but I want to see championships more than I want to see playoff exits.
    You get more of those good things. More well pitched games, more thrilling comebacks, more amazing plays. Good baseball has value. You got to see Rhys Hoskins for a few months, but either you didn't watch or you got to watch 26 starts from Pivetta, 24 from Eichoff, 20 from Helickspon, and 15 from Velasquez. You watched a team with 4 starters with an OPS+ bellow 90, multiple players with negative WARS... That's god awful. I wouldn't watch that garbage.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    37,175
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    You get more of those good things. More well pitched games, more thrilling comebacks, more amazing plays. Good baseball has value. You got to see Rhys Hoskins for a few months, but either you didn't watch or you got to watch 26 starts from Pivetta, 24 from Eichoff, 20 from Helickspon, and 15 from Velasquez. You watched a team with 4 starters with an OPS+ bellow 90, multiple players with negative WARS... That's god awful. I wouldn't watch that garbage.
    My point is you can have good moments in bad seasons.

    Nick Pivetta also pitched 15 games of 3 earned runs or less, 14 starts with more than a K per inning.
    VV with 8 GS of 3 ER or less

    I'm not looking any further, but it doesn't take away from the fact you can still be entertained by a collectively crap product in baseball.

    An extra championship holds more value to me than "more good things" in the regular/post seasons.

    Roy Halladay's perfecto and his nono in the post season were absolutely amazing memories, but they don't mean much to me without that WS ring. The Phillies finished with more wins and more amazing moments that year but ultimately fell short. If I had to make the choice of Halladay's perfecto getting broken up so that they'd have won a WS that year, I'd take it every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    12,663
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    My point is you can have good moments in bad seasons.

    Nick Pivetta also pitched 15 games of 3 earned runs or less, 14 starts with more than a K per inning.
    VV with 8 GS of 3 ER or less

    I'm not looking any further, but it doesn't take away from the fact you can still be entertained by a collectively crap product in baseball.

    An extra championship holds more value to me than "more good things" in the regular/post seasons.

    Roy Halladay's perfecto and his nono in the post season were absolutely amazing memories, but they don't mean much to me without that WS ring. The Phillies finished with more wins and more amazing moments that year but ultimately fell short. If I had to make the choice of Halladay's perfecto getting broken up so that they'd have won a WS that year, I'd take it every time.
    I imagine everybody would regardless of what side they are on regarding this subject.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    21,973
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Knowing the results really sway my opinion. I just can't for the life of me choose an option that gives me less championships if I have a choice of how many I will have. If I know the 14 years of competitive baseball are going to result in no championship then they don't really hold much value over the 13 years of non competitive baseball.
    Ok, new variable. You've got a terminal illness. Doctors dont know how long you will live but they are certain 15 is max. Do you follow the team that wins 2 rings in the next 15 but blows the other 13 or the team that wins the division every year but only one championship.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  10. #85
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    1,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Similar to the Braves

    They won 14 in a row, but only went 1-4 in the World Series....with several hall of famers giving them their primes

    Meanwhile, the Marlins pulled out 2 playoff appearances, but managed to win the Series both times.

    While the Marlins were a new franchise. If you can have one of those to happen over the next 15 years, which would you prefer?
    As a Braves fan for 31 years, the Division Titles run was extremely painful as most seasons amounted to playoff failure and continued misery. 2>1 so, easy decision for me.
    1991 Lost WS to Twins 4-3
    1992 Lost WS to Blue Jays 4-2
    1993 Lost NLCS to Phillies 4-2
    1996 Lost WS to Yankees 4-2 (led 2-0)
    1997 Lost NLCS to Marlins 4-2
    1998 Lost NLCS to Padres 4-2
    1999 Lost WS 4-0 to Yankees
    2000 Lost NLDS 3-0 to Cardinals
    2001 Lost NLCS to Diamondbacks 4-1
    2002 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Giants
    2003 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Cubs
    2004 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Astros
    2005 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Astros
    2010 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Giants
    2012 Lost NLWC 1-0 to Cardinals
    2013 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Dodgers

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    39,520
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    You get more of those good things. More well pitched games, more thrilling comebacks, more amazing plays. Good baseball has value. You got to see Rhys Hoskins for a few months, but either you didn't watch or you got to watch 26 starts from Pivetta, 24 from Eichoff, 20 from Helickspon, and 15 from Velasquez. You watched a team with 4 starters with an OPS+ bellow 90, multiple players with negative WARS... That's god awful. I wouldn't watch that garbage.
    I... thought you were around in the early Starlin Castro days...

    Those days still produced some fond memories. All told the product was awful but there were enough reasons to still tune in with excitement.

    Hell watching Theo assemble the farm in those days was absolutely thrilling to me.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    22,977
    I'd rather my team win one ring but be consistently good and always having a chance vs two random rings then be absolutely terrible like the Marlins.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    39,520
    So, watching the special on MLBn about the 90s Braves. I never heard this but they had a deal in place for Bonds in 92 but Leyland threw a fit when he was told about it and the deal was nixed.

    Also it's interesting how little mention Avery gets when people discuss that team. For that 3 year stretch (91-93) at ages 21-23 he was good for 220 IP at around a 3.3 ERA. He wasn't quite the same after the strike, though.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    50,785
    Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    So, watching the special on MLBn about the 90s Braves. I never heard this but they had a deal in place for Bonds in 92 but Leyland threw a fit when he was told about it and the deal was nixed.

    Also it's interesting how little mention Avery gets when people discuss that team. For that 3 year stretch (91-93) at ages 21-23 he was good for 220 IP at around a 3.3 ERA. He wasn't quite the same after the strike, though.
    yeah, I just heard that recently.

    I do think if they had landed Bonds, they probably don't get McGriff, and possibly even Maddux.

    I don't think they get Bonds...AND land Maddux in free agency AND get McGriff

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    39,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    yeah, I just heard that recently.

    I do think if they had landed Bonds, they probably don't get McGriff, and possibly even Maddux.

    I don't think they get Bonds...AND land Maddux in free agency AND get McGriff
    They'd probably have had to trade Gant or Justice. Gant made about 3m, Barry 5, Maddux made 5 after his new contract. They wouldn't have needed McGriff because the Giants wouldn't have been so far ahead without Bonds. So I think they would have traded Gant. Right at that point in time he had been moved off CF permanently so unless they wanted to push one of them to 1B, somebody had to go. Although they could have shipped Justice out since he was turning into a primadonna and had complained about his contract. They conceivably could have gotten Bonds in 92 and Maddux in 93. That would have been crazy.

    Justice was one of my favorite players in his early years. In my early card collecting days I pulled his Leaf RC from a pack and it was the most valuable card I had pulled myself to that point so I became a big David Justice fan. Loved that swing.
    Last edited by WOwolfOL; 02-13-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •