Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    So the folks who pick 300 more regular season wins and 40 more playoff wins in 15 years are the losers?

At the end of the day, championships are what people judge, but championships are kind of fluky, espeically in baseball.

Like someone said earlier, I could maybe see the argument of the 2 championships over consistent contention if youre a casual fan. For me, I love Wisconsin pro sports, but college sports are kind of meh to me. So for the badgers or Marquette basketball, I maybe pick the 2 rings since I dont follow them closely. But for the packers, bucks or brewers, who i follow very closely, give me the enjoyment of 15 straight years of a high level product.
    Basically, he likes losing a lot more than winning.

What's better....2 World Series Champs, or 14 Division Titles and 1 World Series Win?

The two championships undoubtably. Winning is all that matters.

i look at what the braves did as sad lol... go with the championships all day.

Context is everything in this discussion. If you just look at the argument on paper, the two titles sounds better. But when you actually put names and faces to it, and you realize the teams you're talking about, it's a totally different scenario. I'd rather be the Braves, who were stacked with talent and had a run of total dominance, over the Marlins, who were such a roller coaster ride at times.

If this was 14-15 years of great play with no titles versus 14-15 years of poor play with one title, then it would be a different discussion. But there's something to be said for consistency and building a team that people (especially fans of the team) will remember 40-50 years in the future. I'll remember those Braves teams, but I don't know that I could name more than a handful of players on those Marlins teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    Bucks vs raptors in the ECF. Mark my words.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Context is everything in this discussion. If you just look at the argument on paper, the two titles sounds better. But when you actually put names and faces to it, and you realize the teams you're talking about, it's a totally different scenario. I'd rather be the Braves, who were stacked with talent and had a run of total dominance, over the Marlins, who were such a roller coaster ride at times.

If this was 14-15 years of great play with no titles versus 14-15 years of poor play with one title, then it would be a different discussion. But there's something to be said for consistency and building a team that people (especially fans of the team) will remember 40-50 years in the future. I'll remember those Braves teams, but I don't know that I could name more than a handful of players on those Marlins teams.
    See and I look at it this way.

If I had Maddux, Glavine, Chipper, Smoltz, McGriff, Lopez, Millwood, etc for basically their entire primes and you dominated for 15 years with only 1 WS victory to show for it, that wouldn't suck?

To me, I'd rather luck into 2 WS victories than have to watch a group of HOFers get ousted 95% of the time they make it to the post season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

^ I wouldnt. At least youre watching solid baseball every year. If they had won zero World Series, then Id agree.

Im a Tigers fan. I watched A LOT of TERRIBLE baseball for a solid 15 year stretch. I dont wish that upon anybody but my worst enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    ^ I wouldnt. At least youre watching solid baseball every year. If they had won zero World Series, then Id agree.

Im a Tigers fan. I watched A LOT of TERRIBLE baseball for a solid 15 year stretch. I dont wish that upon anybody but my worst enemies.
    Eh, but if I knew the outcome, I wouldn't want to watch. I mean good baseball is great but at the same time don't we all want to watch our teams win the WS?

I know exactly how you feel, man. I'm a Phillies fan and endured that as well through all my years growing up until about 2006 and now I'm back there again for the last couple seasons.

It was awesome to have Cliff Lee and Roy Halladay on the Phillies (for as brief a period it was) but two likely HOFers didn't win anything here.

I've said it before, though, if I didn't know the outcome, I'd for sure want the Braves run but knowing the outcome, I choose crappy years and 2 WS championships every time. Even crappy seasons can produce awesome moments.
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by natsbats View Post
    Why would anyone want the heart ache of being so regular season dominant only to fail over and over and over. You ask biggest choke teams of last 25 years it's those braves and the colts.

You play. To win. The game.

If you aren't first you're last - Ricky Bobby.
    I'd say it's the nationals. At least the Colts and Braves both won one championship and got to the champ round a couple times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cn__o8mBkk

I get it. You should just turn off the playoffs.
    Last edited by flips333; 02-13-2018 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Eh, but if I knew the outcome, I wouldn't want to watch. I mean good baseball is great but at the same time don't we all want to watch our teams win the WS?

I know exactly how you feel, man. I'm a Phillies fan and endured that as well through all my years growing up until about 2006 and now I'm back there again for the last couple seasons.

It was awesome to have Cliff Lee and Roy Halladay on the Phillies (for as brief a period it was) but two likely HOFers didn't win anything here.

I've said it before, though, if I didn't know the outcome, I'd for sure want the Braves run but knowing the outcome, I choose crappy years and 2 WS championships every time. Even crappy seasons can produce awesome moments.
    yes, but that's not the ONLY thing I want.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    yes, but that's not the ONLY thing I want.
    But what do you get out of a great regular season without a WS ring?

You get entertainment, sure, but besides wins, what are things that can't happen in a crappy season? I witnessed Rhys Hoskins burst onto the scene and look to become a pivotal part of an up and coming team. That happened on one of the worst teams in baseball last year.

I just think a great regular season of dominance should've lead to more than 1 WS ring. There aren't many teams that have such sustained success and only come off with one championship.

I enjoy good baseball as much as the next guy, but I want to see championships more than I want to see playoff exits.

Quote Originally Posted by natsbats View Post
    Why would anyone want the heart ache of being so regular season dominant only to fail over and over and over. You ask biggest choke teams of last 25 years it's those braves and the colts.

You play. To win. The game.

If you aren't first you're last - Ricky Bobby.
    They both won titles in the middle of their runs so, no.

The Capitals immediately come to mind as the biggest chokers of the past two decades, followed by the Canucks - though most in here probably pay no attention to hockey.

In baseball you'd have to go with the Nats or Dodgers for at least the past decade.

I don't think there's any great NBA examples, maybe the Suns during the Nash/Stoudemire era.

In the NFL maybe the 9ers, although it's hard to argue that they choked anything away, they just got to a lot of big games and lost them to very good/great teams.

Choke artists don't win championships.

But what do you get out of a great regular season without a WS ring?

You get entertainment, sure, but besides wins, what are things that can't happen in a crappy season?
    Pennants. Playoff clinchers. Division dominance. 20 to 30 more wins.

To be honest, Id take either or at this point. Tigers have won one in my lifetime but I was 4

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    i look at what the braves did as sad lol... go with the championships all day.
    exactly. 14 post season births and only one championship. sad.

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Pennants. Playoff clinchers. Division dominance. 20 to 30 more wins.
    I just don't see those as being that entertaining when they represent not being a champion.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast