Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

What's better....2 World Series Champs, or 14 Division Titles and 1 World Series Win?

Similar to the Braves

They won 14 in a row, but only went 1-4 in the World Series....with several hall of famers giving them their primes

Meanwhile, the Marlins pulled out 2 playoff appearances, but managed to win the Series both times.

While the Marlins were a new franchise. If you can have one of those to happen over the next 15 years, which would you prefer?

Id rather be the braves honestly. Unless i am spared the heartache of the firesales that followed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Championships all day. Not even close for me.
    For a fan base to be able say WE ARE THE CHAMPS out ways everything.
    Every year that you don't win it all is a complete failure IMO.

So 14 playoff appearances with one ring vs 2 playoff appearances over 15 years with 2 rings? Im taking the sustained success every time. It's a lot more fun over those 15 years for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    Id rather be the braves honestly. Unless i am spared the heartache of the firesales that followed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk
    I think the Braves are the right answer.

15 years is a long, long time. I don't think the average person realizes how long 15 years is. If I'm being guaranteed one championship either way, and the question is do I want 13 other winning seasons with three pennants or zero playoff appearances in those other 13 years but two championships, then give me the dozens upon dozens upon dozens of memorable games, moments, walk-offs, etc that will be residual of fielding a playoff team for a full decade and a half.

I'm getting my championship moment either way, so I'll take the 15 years of awesome baseball over getting to say my team won 2 instead of 1 and had literally no enjoyment for those other 13 years. Two by itself doesn't make for any kind of dynasty or anything, so really what's the big deal?

15 years is such a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post

15 years is a long, long time. I don't think the average person realizes how long 15 years is. If I'm being guaranteed one championship either way, and the question is do I want 13 other winning seasons with three pennants or zero playoff appearances in those other 13 years but two championships, then give me the dozens upon dozens upon dozens of memorable games, moments, walk-offs, etc that will be residual of fielding a playoff team for a full decade and a half.

I'm getting my championship moment either way, so I'll take the 15 years of awesome baseball over getting to say my team won 2 instead of 1 and had literally no enjoyment for those other 13 years. Two by itself doesn't make for any kind of dynasty or anything, so really what's the big deal?

This.

Yeah i'm gonna have to agree with this.

Baseball is fun when your team is winning consistently year to year. As long as you get 1 championship in that time, you're set

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    i guess it depends. Do you actually want to watch good baseball, or do you just care about bragging? i like watching good baseball... Give me sustained good baseball... I mean I don't even care about the division wins. If I have a team that consistently wins 90...I'm a happy man.
    Last edited by flips333; 02-07-2018 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Championships all day. Not even close for me.
    For a fan base to be able say WE ARE THE CHAMPS out ways everything.
    Every year that you don't win it all is a complete failure IMO.
    I think it's different for fans of teams that haven't tasted much success.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Similar to the Braves

They won 14 in a row, but only went 1-4 in the World Series....with several hall of famers giving them their primes

Meanwhile, the Marlins pulled out 2 playoff appearances, but managed to win the Series both times.

While the Marlins were a new franchise. If you can have one of those to happen over the next 15 years, which would you prefer?
    Marlins. Easily. No one remembers second place. Division titles don't mean anything to me, honestly. You play the game to win a championship. Whether you are good on a consistent basis or not really doesn't matter to me. As a Giants fan over the last 20 years i have endured winning seasons and awful seasons. The only season, history aside that I ever remember or reflect fondly on are the ones we won a World Series.

Some consider 2016 a success because we made the playoffs. I consider it a failure because we lost. I don't see much of a difference between 2016 and 2017 other than we get a higher draft pick in 2018 that will hopefully turn us around.
    Last edited by Lincecum4CY; 02-07-2018 at 01:18 PM.

This is hard for me.

Is it really fun watching something when you know the ending? Sure you can enjoy the ride, but a lot of fun is taken out of it when the ending is known.

In the first 6 years of the Braves run, they went to four WS; winning one. Then one more WS appearance over the next 9 seasons. After that 95 WS win, the Braves went straight years of winning their division with two more appearances and no win. If I'm taking the WS win as my choice, as a Braves fan in 95, I know for the next 10 years I have no more WS wins even though I'm a fan of probably the best or at least top 4ish team in baseball over the next 10 years.

Marlins, I get it that they suck outside of 2 years but they do have 2 titles in that time.

As a Phillies fan, I witnessed one WS title with a drought of 28 years. All these fans of teams that had crazy amount of droughts too.

I really think I'd rather look back at the 2 titles over 1 title.

You don't need to be a playoff team to have memorable events happen. Rhys Hoskins just had one of the best starts to the majors ever and the Phillies were garbage.

Jumbled, but I think I would take the two titles over the one (with prolonged regular season success). The ultimate goal is titles. I'd rather see great players on the Phillies win multiple titles than see great players on the Phillies lose over and over again in the post season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincecum4CY View Post
    Marlins. Easily. No one remembers second place
    This really isn't true.

People remember 14 consecutive playoff appearances for the Braves similar to the way any NFL fan who's been watching since at least the 90's very much remembers the Bills reaching and losing 4 straight Super Bowls.

Ask a Jazz fan what their most memorable seasons in franchise history were and they'll almost certainly tell you '97 and '98 when they lost to the Bulls.

If the question were 15 years of playoff appearances with no championship vs 1 championship and 14 years of no playoffs, I could agree with you. Championships are critically important. But over a decade and a half, what real difference is there between 1 and 2?

Put another way - when you think of '95 through '05 after the Yankees do you think of the Braves or the Marlins?

Maybe even better - when you think of the past decade in the NFL, after the Patriots do you think of the Steelers or the Giants?

You know what the answers are.

This really isn't true.

People remember 14 consecutive playoff appearances for the Braves similar to the way any NFL fan who's been watching since at least the 90's very much remembers the Bills reaching and losing 4 straight Super Bowls.

Ask a Jazz fan what their most memorable seasons in franchise history were and they'll almost certainly tell you '97 and '98 when they lost to the Bulls.

If the question were 15 years of playoff appearances with no championship vs 1 championship and 14 years of no playoffs, I could agree with you. Championships are critically important. But over a decade and a half, what real difference is there between 1 and 2?

Put another way - when you think of '95 through '05 after the Yankees do you think of the Braves or the Marlins?

Maybe even better - when you think of the past decade in the NFL, after the Patriots do you think of the Steelers or the Giants?

You know what the answers are.
    You know what people remember about the Braves 15 year run? The fact they only won 1.

Most teams that have been as dominant as the Braves had been have won multiple titles.

It's just hard to find teams that were so dominant with little to show for it.
    Last edited by koldjerky; 02-07-2018 at 02:19 PM.
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Also both the Steelers and Giants have won 2 SBs since the Patriots won their first.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    You know what people remember about the Braves 15 year run? The fact they only won 1.
    I agree.

Do you think Braves fans look back on that decade and a half with despair?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast