Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thatís where Iím at. The error wasnít in how they used Hundley, the error was trusting Hundley to play at even a mediocre level. But Hundley strikes me as the type who looks good in shorts and a helmet. You can tell he knows what he needs to do, and things like his footwork are fine. His problem is in the pressure of the game, he folds. He doesnít trust his reads and waits until the wr breaks open to make the throw, which will then always be late. He panics in the pocket and looks to run too much. There were times he did a nice job of stepping up, like he was probably coached to do, but then if that didnít work one time, he resorted back to his instincts to bail out.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Thatís where Iím at. The error wasnít in how they used Hundley, the error was trusting Hundley to play at even a mediocre level. But Hundley strikes me as the type who looks good in shorts and a helmet. You can tell he knows what he needs to do, and things like his footwork are fine. His problem is in the pressure of the game, he folds. He doesnít trust his reads and waits until the wr breaks open to make the throw, which will then always be late. He panics in the pocket and looks to run too much. There were times he did a nice job of stepping up, like he was probably coached to do, but then if that didnít work one time, he resorted back to his instincts to bail out.
    Part of Hundley's problem was that when the WR's make their breaks, other than Adams, they still don't get open. So had he trusted his reads more he'd have thrown more interceptions, because Jordy Nelson was never going to get open on the break and Randle Cobb wasn't getting open either. Hundley would have looked better if he could have played behing the Eagles O-Line and threw to Jeffries, Agholor, Ertz and Burton. I agree that Hundley is no Foles, but don't confuse the rest of the Packers offense with the Eagles either.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Pederson definitely did very well and heís looking like a top flight coach. But the talent difference between foles and Hundley is huge. Foles played crazy well. Pederson definitely had a part to play in that, no doubt, but foles was throwing dimes down the field, especially in that Vikings game.

Pederson did a nice job of setting up some nice packaged plays that got foles some easy throws, but there were still plenty of times foles had to make some damn good throws. Like that ball to clement was a gem.
    Agree that Foles is more talented than Hundley, but Talent is also the difference between the rest of the Eagles Offense and the Packers Offense as well. Their O-Line is better. Their WR's are better. Adams may be the best, but I'd take Jeffries and Agholor over Adams and any other Packer WR. They have 3 TE's better than any we have. I like our RB's, but the Eagles are better.

While the part about WRs not getting open as often, or at least getting a ton of separation is correct, Iíd argue the other peice. The less seperation a wr gets, the earlier you have to throw it. Even the worst WRs likely get a moment of seperation when they make their breaks. Thatís why Rodgers and Nelson still work together well. Thatís why you need to anticipate. If you make that throw once you see the sliver of seperation, itís too late, especially in man coverage. Once the wr makes the break, thatís when the dbs head comes around. So if the ball is there on the break, itís difficult for the dB to break on it. If itís after, the db is going to jump that route more often than not, espeically when you donít have a rocket arm.

But youíre correct, adding some speed and weapons would do wonders. In week 17, Kendricks dropped two gimme balls and Hundley lost confidence in him. Kendrickís was open again on that last 4th down play and Hundley ignored him, but itís tough to blame him after the bad drops by kendricks. Having a tight end that can make some plays would be fantastic.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 02-07-2018 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    Yeah but then when the Bronco's won everyone says that's why we need to fix the defense. Defense wins championships and ill always believe that. It just so happened that both teams in this years SB had mediocre at best defenses.

We need pass rushers and cb's. Rodgers will make the offense go no matter who's on the field. Brady threw for over 500 yards and the players he has on offense are guy most people don't even know anything about outside of Gronk.
    The Eagles defense was not mediocre. They were easily top 5 in football and still got shreaded in the Superbowl. Their D-Line might be the best in football.The Patriots defense might be mediocre, but were still 5th in points allowed.

The year the Bronco's won the Superbowl, they drew a weak matchup in Cam Newton and the Panthers. They also were an exceptional defense that year, but it proved impossible to repeat in the following years.
    Last edited by HacksawButch; 02-07-2018 at 02:56 PM.

It goes unnoticed because Bradys end game stats were so great, but the Eagles defensive front rattled him on a couple drives that stalled out as fg's or a missed fg.

Think about this, the Packers had ZERO I repeat ZERO stops when teams were in the red zone. Defense is a major priority.

Quote Originally Posted by HacksawButch View Post
    The Eagles defense was not mediocre. They were easily top 5 in football and still got shreaded in the Superbowl. Their D-Line might be the best in football.The Patriots defense might be mediocre, but were still 5th in points allowed.

The year the Bronco's won the Superbowl, they drew a weak matchup in Cam Newton and the Panthers. They also were an exceptional defense that year, but it proved impossible to repeat in the following years.
    Eagles defense was not that great. Every game i watched they got torched. That have a good DL but that defense is far from scary. We need to fix the defense more than the offense and that's a fact. Sure we can use some youth in the WR core but the defense needs an overhaul imo. Get more stops and more possessions for Rodgers and we will put points on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    Eagles defense was not that great. Every game i watched they got torched. That have a good DL but that defense is far from scary. We need to fix the defense more than the offense and that's a fact. Sure we can use some youth in the WR core but the defense needs an overhaul imo. Get more stops and more possessions for Rodgers and we will put points on the board.
    Did you watch them very little?

Football outsiders had the eagles ranked as the number 5 defense on the year. They also have a weighted defensive ranking, which basically weights the late season games more than the early season games, to reflect how well teams played towards the end of the year. The eagles ranked 2nd in that stat.

So basically, the eagles defense was pretty darn good all year, but played even better down the stretch.

You gotta look at their schedule and who they played. Some of the teams the held to a low score were either not very good teams or just didn't have a great offense all together. The teams the held to 20 or less were Redskins in week 1, Cardinals in week 5, 49ers in week 8, cowboys in week 11, Bears in week 12, Raiders in week 16 and cowboys in week 17.

All those teams were garbage and missed the playoffs. Any team worth a damn put up decent numbers against them. I am not saying their defense is garbage but i felt like they were a tad overrated. They aren't a defensive unit that strikes fear in my eyes. They have some good playmakers but i don't view them as a top defense. They played great against a Falcons team who struggled on offense all year, a Vikings team who is far from an offensive juggernaut and got lit up by Brady in the superbowl.

Thatís what football outsiders does. They factor in strength of schedule. They had the eagles as like the 24th toughest schedule for defense (so pretty easy), but thatís included in their formulas.

Still stand by what i said. You can live a die by other people's formulas lol. They weren't a very scary defense imo. A good defense for sure, but not one that i'd be scared of having to face like some make them out to be.

The other thing that needs to be considered is how much of our defenses poor performance was directly related to Capers scheme. We had 3 decent press coverage man to man CB's, but instead played a losse zone most of the time. If the defense was schemed to the strength of it's players rather than to what Capers wanted, it might look completely different.

The last year Casey Hayward was a Packer, he was rated 62 best in Coverage, because Capers didn't play him to his strengths. Hydes last season, he played the slot CB position and was rated dead last in the league. He gets moved to deep Safety and has 5 INT's and makes the probowl. Josh Jones was meant to play the Hybrid ILB position, but instead he plays center field. If Petine comes in and uses the players we already have and plays to their strengths, the defense will be much better without adding anybody. If we can add a pass rusher in the draft and play press man to man coverage with King, House and Randall our secondary will look much better than they did playing zone.

Our defensive failures are more about the misuse of our talents than they were a lack of talent. Which secondary player will be the next to leave and make the piobowl playing for another team. Petine needs to scheme the defense to play to the strength of our best players, not play a scheme that doesn't fit our personnel, which is what Capers has done for years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12