Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bosox1899 View Post
    Looks like Josh mcdaniels is staying with the patriots
    The next best thing to winning a Sb is sticking it to the Colts...it makes the loss a little easier to take!

Quote Originally Posted by TKO View Post
    The next best thing to winning a Sb is sticking it to the Colts...it makes the loss a little easier to take!
    Haha i wonder if that was the plan all along? 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by burtgummer View Post
    I wouldn't count on Bennett being cut as there are rumors about a Gronk retirement
    Re-sign Lewis draft a qb then leave the offense alone
    On defense Hightower will be back which will help but there's a lot of work to do
    Lewis will price himself out. He's gone.

Hightower? He's always hurt, tough to base on a guy that's always hurt.

Bennett - if comes for the right money, yes

I've been in favor of cutting Gostowski. We had yet another playoff game that BB wouldn't let him kick a ball over 50. All done with him.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Quote Originally Posted by poppa12645 View Post
    I'm not on the Bennett bandwagon, I think Solder did enough to get an extension. The dline needs an overhaul, linebackers depth needs work. Regardless of what happens with gronk they need an outside receiver with size and usable he next to him if he plays (Allen was very good at blocking car do anything else). I think lewis is going to be out of our price range.
    Solder gets a 1 year prove it deal, or he's a cut. He's very vulnerable to speed rushers. Even Skar can't make him a top 8 LT. He's probably in the 20's, not for that dough.

Also rid ourselves of Allen.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Solder gets a 1 year prove it deal, or he's a cut. He's very vulnerable to speed rushers. Even Skar can't make him a top 8 LT. He's probably in the 20's, not for that dough.

Also rid ourselves of Allen.
    Solder is probably in the 15-20 area. There aren't many good LT's around the league. As hard as it is to watch Solder at times...Watch some other teams LT play and you'll feel 1000x better. He's right in the middle of the pack, maybe slightly ahead, but not close to the top 8.

If he wants to come back here for $8-10M with not much guaranteed after year 1, I'd take him back in a heartbeat. If he's planning on cashing in on one last contract, see ya.

City of Champions

Problem with letting Solder go is what's the replacement plan? Our tackle depth chart for next year is Cannon returning from injury at RT and last year's 3rd rounder coming off a season ending illness that supposedly has him 40 lbs light of playing weight. Fleming and Waddle are UFAs with Solder.

I'm not sure that it's worth the uncertainty and amount of resources (either draft picks or cap space) that it will take to replace Solder. You might get someone cheaper but LT is a premium position... if you go for a cheaper option you're going to get a guy that's a question mark going into the season. If you want a day 1 starter in the draft it's probably going to cost a high pick. Ultimately it will be dictated by how much exactly he costs but I have a tough time envisioning a scenario where re-signing Solder isn't the best bet for us.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Problem with letting Solder go is what's the replacement plan? Our tackle depth chart for next year is Cannon returning from injury at RT and last year's 3rd rounder coming off a season ending illness that supposedly has him 40 lbs light of playing weight. Fleming and Waddle are UFAs with Solder.

I'm not sure that it's worth the uncertainty and amount of resources (either draft picks or cap space) that it will take to replace Solder. You might get someone cheaper but LT is a premium position... if you go for a cheaper option you're going to get a guy that's a question mark going into the season. If you want a day 1 starter in the draft it's probably going to cost a high pick. Ultimately it will be dictated by how much exactly he costs but I have a tough time envisioning a scenario where re-signing Solder isn't the best bet for us.
    Ditto.

Spotrac has his value listed at 2 years $26Mil....Or about $13Mil per season.

I'd be will to bet he'd come back here for $10M/2 with $12M guaranteed. That's season 1 fully guaranteed which is a win/win...A top ~15 LT for $10M and no long term commitment is money in the bank for us.

Gives us a year to figure it out and maybe develop Garcia to take the role in 2019, or draft a guy. I'd also re-sign Flemming on the cheap. He wasn't terrible and is still young. He could be a late bloomer like Cannon.

City of Champions

Preliminary mock offseason

After a start of an offseason that was thought to have many changes looming, I actually see a very similar group coming back next season. McDaniels back in the fold. I expect Flores to take over Patricias role.

Roster cuts
    TE Bennett - $6.2Mil
    TE Allen - $5.0Mil
    DT Branch - $3.5Mil
    LB McClellin - $2.4Mil
    LB Harris - $2.1Mil

Total Savings - $19.2Mil

Restructure Brady to get him to about a $14Mil cap hit – Saves $8Mil

Including the 2017 rollover, draft pool and everyone else left on the roster we’re now at about $35Mil in cap space.

Re-sign
    Rex Burkhead ~$3.5Mil AAV (3 years)
    Nate Solder ~$10.0Mil AAV (2 years)
    Matt Slater ~$2.2Mil AAV (2 years)
    Cam Flemming ~$3.0AAV (2 years)
    Danny Amendola ~$2.5Mil (1 year)
    Nate Ebner ~$2.0Mil (1 year)
    Brandon Bolden ~$1.5Mil (1 year)
    Martellus Bennet ~$4.0Mil (1 year)

Draft
    RD1 CB
    RD2 QB
    RD2 DL
    RD3 RB
    RD4-5 K (conditional picks)

Extensions – Cooks, Mason, Brown, Flowers

Leaves us with about $10Mil for a couple of Free Agents

I want
    LB/DE Trent Murphy
    CB Aaron Colvin

Roster
    Offense
    QB (3)– Brady/Hoyer/Rookie RD2
    RB (5)– Burkhead/White/Rookie RD3/Gillislee/Bolden
    FB (1)- Develin
    WR (6)- Cooks/Edelman/Hogan/Amendola/Dorsett/Slater
    TE (3)- Gronkowski/Bennett/Hollister
    OT (4)- Solder/Cannon/Garcia/Flemming
    OG (2) – Mason/Thuney
    OC (1) - Andrews
    Players – 25

Defense
    DT (5) – Brown/Guy/Rookie RD2/Butler/Valentine
    DE/OLB (5) – Hightower/Flowers/Wise/Rivers/Murphy
    LB (4) - Van Noy/Roberts/Langi
    CB (6)- Gilmore/Rookie RD1/Rowe/Colvin/Jones/Jones
    S (5) – McCourty/Harmon/Chung/Ebner/Richards

Players – 25

Offense comes back intact. Bennett should upgrade the TE group. Lewis is a tough loss but Burkhead is a similar player. Gillislee can hopefully do better in year 2. Add in a rookie to the group and they should at least be ok. WR group is better with Edelman back in the fold. Same OL and some health shouldn’t drop off from last year’s decent group.

As for the defense, we’ll lose our #2 CB, but its offset by a rookie (Rowes future replacement). Rowe takes Butlers spot and Colvin is a top notch nickle CB (something we didn’t have last season) so this group should be similar to last years but more complimentary of one another. The front 7 should see a boost with Hightower back, Rivers hopefully healthy and Wise with a year 2 leap. Add in another rookie DL and this should be an improved unit.

I’d like to see a rookie K knock off Gostkowski, but as shaky as he’s been, he still leaves some big shoes to fill.
    Additionally we get our Jimmy G replacement to groom for 2 years, after which I anticipate Brady and BB leaving.

City of Champions

There is noway they can not add LB. its a massive hole and must be fixed. The pats were torched time and time again by bad Lb play

Quote Originally Posted by yankeefan54 View Post
    There is noway they can not add LB. its a massive hole and must be fixed. The pats were torched time and time again by bad Lb play
    Hightower out most of the season. Van Noy out 3 games. Langi out entire season. They're adding LB's without even signing/drafting anyone.

City of Champions

I am curious about the status of Marty Bennett in general,is he coming back or is he done with the nfl?I have a feeling that he is not all that into it anymore but maybe it was just his injury that makes him seem that way to me.He gave a great effort when he arrived from Green Bay and if that is his intention going forward then he would really fill the tight end position out.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbangclock View Post
    I am curious about the status of Marty Bennett in general,is he coming back or is he done with the nfl?I have a feeling that he is not all that into it anymore but maybe it was just his injury that makes him seem that way to me.He gave a great effort when he arrived from Green Bay and if that is his intention going forward then he would really fill the tight end position out.
    I think if the money is right he'd play. Doubt that's here. But I think he wants to win. Odds are the teams that are contenders won't pay him what he wants and the teams that will aren't contenders. Leads me to believe he won't play in 2018.

Jimmy Graham should be on our radar.

City of Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    Hightower out most of the season. Van Noy out 3 games. Langi out entire season. They're adding LB's without even signing/drafting anyone.
    Not close to good enough. Even if there all healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeefan54 View Post
    Not close to good enough. Even if there all healthy.
    Any facts, stats or evidence to back your claims? Or are we just making blind blanket statements?

City of Champions

A healthy Hightower makes a vast improvement in the LB group,the defense played all season without him.Adding another piece to the LBs along with Hightower should be something that can get done this off season.I am hoping the draft goes well this year.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast