Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fla.SticKy View Post
    My guess is that there’s a Guy Belichick likes and he needs to move up to get him, and you can almost guarantee 31 is going to be shipped out.

*Then there’s always the chance he ships out both picks for a boatload in return.
    BB's dream is trade 31 for 33 or 34 and a 6th just the save the salary/years
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    BB's dream is trade 31 for 33 or 34 and a 6th just the save the salary/years
    Not so sure about that.

#31 last year was Reuben Foster. He got 4 yrs, $9,035,309 with $6,873,222 guaranteed. And then the deal comes with the 5th year option.

#33 last year was Kevin King. He got 4 yrs, $7,080,884 with $4,676,592 guaranteed. No 5th year option.

I think the small salary/guarantee increase is far outweighed by the potential payoff of the 5th year option.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

hope we fleece some team for Gronk - only way he is getting traded

Loved me some Cooks though - we just aren't going to pay him and if we can get a first now it makes sense.

Aust is offline BUTLER!!!! / DOWN 25!!!!!
    I'll take a stab at what we do(or I hope we do) during the draft:

23: LB Leighton Vander Esch

31:
    -IF the team really likes QB Mason Rudolph(I don't) get him there for that 5th year option which is better for Brady's timeline.
    -Trade back for a high 2nd and a 4th. We no longer have any 4th or 5th rounders, this will help bridge the gap which Bill loves to do. He also seems to love the 4th round while at the same time doesn't care remotely as much for the 5th round.

If we trade back, we'll have 3 2nds
    - TE Dallas Goedert
    - QB Kyle Lauletta
    - OL, interior or OT. I'd love to keep Mason, but if we can't get something done, he will get paid and could net us a 3rd round compensation pick.

3rd - SS Siran Neal
    4th - developmental RB, deep draft for the position

One thing to note on the interior OL pick: We typically don't pick interior lineman this high so maybe instead of a 2nd we use a 3rd or 4th. If a 3rd, we would get a different safety in the 2nd. If a 4th, than we nab a 3rd round developmental RB and a safety in the 2nd.

If we came away from this draft with:

-Stud LB
    -Tom's potential sucessor QB in need of some developmental years
    -Another recieving TE that can compliment Gronk
    -OL starter or developmental depth
    -Chung successor or someone that can have him play more LB
    -developmental RB

That is a homerun.

Yes, I neglected pass rush. We can grab a stud pass rusher next draft. We have Derek Rivers returning, Clayborn brought in as a FA, Hightower coming back healthy who can bring heat off the edge or blitz up the middle, Flowers, 2nd year jumps of Wise and Adam Butler. That's honestly not too shabby. The interior pass rush won't be a strength either with Brown, Shelton, Guy and Valentine(back), but the run D should be very good.
    1 stud LB and Chung's backup will dump Elandon Roberts and Richards off the roster. I think that defense will play quite well on all 3 levels. I see good potential.

I think I'll be happy for the most part as long as they don't pick a WR or CB in the first 2 rounds. No LB or S in the first two rounds and I'll be bummed out.

sig bet 7/2/18 - 8/2/18

Rumors swirling this morning that the Patriots are in love with Rosen (take with a grain of salt). Hard to believe this trade was in order to get into position to grab Rosen considering the additional draft capital it would take. BUT I'll take the bait and play along for fun.

Imagine trading Gronk, #23 and #31 to CLE for #4

CLE selects Barkley at #1.
    NYG Darnold #2
    NYJ Allen #3
    NEP Rosen #4

I would hate the move. Doesn't make us any better in 2018. Brady loses his top 3 targets from the year prior which at this point I don't see him being very happy about that.

On the flip side...Imagine CLE...Taylor, Barkley, Gronk, Landry, Gordon. That'd be a fun offense to watch, especially it being in CLE.

City of Champions

Geez, and who said I was wrong to suggest this a few months back?

Nice talent, but not a fit. Bad year for drafting a WR high which BB doesn't do, Pats will be picking off camp cuts, UDFA's, and mostly drafting slots in the 3rd and after. Some really good slots coming out IMO. Gronk is crucial and I think they have his buy in to stay and be focused, but he's using bands and not squats.

May draft or buy a real 2nd TE that can catch the ball.
    I told everyone here Cooks was a wuss.

Belichick knew it too, and he made other teams think Cooks was a hard working "Real Patriot", and now the Rams have been FLEECED. Pun intended. EXCELLENT move.

May draft or buy a real 2nd TE that can catch the ball.
    I think Hollister could have a good year in that pass-catcher role. He won't be an all purpose type but he has good hands and they liked him enough to make the 53 man roster last year.

I have to admit I'm very concerned for next season
    With Cooks and Amendola gone
    Our wr are
    Edleman and Mitchell who were both out all of last year we have no idea how they will play
    Hogan who was hurt a lot last season
    Dorsett is a clown without the red nose
    Britt has shown nothing as a Patriot

Our WR core has question marks but at the same time it's also got potential to be more than ok...

Edelman - He was our top WR for 2 SB victories. BUT, he's coming off an injury that usually takes 2 years to be all the way back from AND he's in his 30s now.

Hogan - Good, solid WR but has had some issues staying healthy from nagging injuries.

Mitchell - Looked well on his way to emerging as a very solid player but his college knee issues came back up and are a serious question mark going forward.

Britt - Had a bad run in CLE and never got a fair shake here since he signed late but he was a 1000 yard receiver the year before that in the 2 years prior was an OK starting receiver in STL/LA.

Dorsett - Didn't have a full training camp but did have some bright spots. In IND he never panned out as a #1 but had some production.

Patterson - Has never been a solid receiver but plays STs both in coverage and as a returner as well as some situational trick play ability.

You don't have to use your imagination to see this group being pretty good but you also don't need it to see it flopping. There's upside and downside all across the board. If Mitchell puts the knee troubles behind him, Edelman comes back reasonably well and Britt assimilates himself in the offense to get to STL/LAR levels then along with Hogan you're looking at a pretty good top 4, especially with a #1 receiving option at TE. But if those question marks fail, it could be a bad group.

Also need to consider contracts. Britt, Dorsett, Patterson and Hogan are all FAs after this year. Edelman/Mitchell the year after. Ideally, I'd like to add a WR with one of those top 100 picks to layer the contract status out better. which would push one of those guys off the roster. Maybe 2 if they don't want to keep 6 WRs with Slater.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Schefter on K&C this morning teased "do we know if TB is coming back"?

http://www.weei.com/media/audio-chan...et-espn-4-4-18

I don't see this QB draft group as being all that exciting to induce trading up.Two first round picks are likely more helpful that selling out for a young QB.

Patriots sign TE Troy Niklas 19 catches in 4 years and rated as the second worst run blocking TE in the league by Pro Football Focus

Quote Originally Posted by burtgummer View Post
    I have to admit I'm very concerned for next season
    With Cooks and Amendola gone
    Our wr are
    Edleman and Mitchell who were both out all of last year we have no idea how they will play
    Hogan who was hurt a lot last season
    Dorsett is a clown without the red nose
    Britt has shown nothing as a Patriot
    We've been to the AFCCG with Reche Caldwell as our #1 WR. Not all that worried about it.

Still have... (at this moment)

Gronk #1 TE in the league
    Edelman top SWR in the league (pre injury, shouldn't be dramatically worse if not the same)
    Hogan when healthy has been great
    Mitchell who when healthy has shown great flashes

Plus we still have pass catching backs in White and Burkhead.

This offense will be just fine.

City of Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    We've been to the AFCCG with Reche Caldwell as our #1 WR. Not all that worried about it.

Edelman top SWR in the league (pre injury, shouldn't be dramatically worse if not the same)

I can see us using a late pick on a WR.......I’d use pk 23 to land a stud LB, then ship out 31 & late pick for a 2nd & 3rd.

Aust is offline BUTLER!!!! / DOWN 25!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Our WR core has question marks but at the same time it's also got potential to be more than ok...

Edelman - He was our top WR for 2 SB victories. BUT, he's coming off an injury that usually takes 2 years to be all the way back from AND he's in his 30s now.

Hogan - Good, solid WR but has had some issues staying healthy from nagging injuries.

Mitchell - Looked well on his way to emerging as a very solid player but his college knee issues came back up and are a serious question mark going forward.

Britt - Had a bad run in CLE and never got a fair shake here since he signed late but he was a 1000 yard receiver the year before that in the 2 years prior was an OK starting receiver in STL/LA.

Dorsett - Didn't have a full training camp but did have some bright spots. In IND he never panned out as a #1 but had some production.

Patterson - Has never been a solid receiver but plays STs both in coverage and as a returner as well as some situational trick play ability.

You don't have to use your imagination to see this group being pretty good but you also don't need it to see it flopping. There's upside and downside all across the board. If Mitchell puts the knee troubles behind him, Edelman comes back reasonably well and Britt assimilates himself in the offense to get to STL/LAR levels then along with Hogan you're looking at a pretty good top 4, especially with a #1 receiving option at TE. But if those question marks fail, it could be a bad group.

Also need to consider contracts. Britt, Dorsett, Patterson and Hogan are all FAs after this year. Edelman/Mitchell the year after. Ideally, I'd like to add a WR with one of those top 100 picks to layer the contract status out better. which would push one of those guys off the roster. Maybe 2 if they don't want to keep 6 WRs with Slater.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post

Well said. If the WR get banged up we can lean on our pass catching backs more. If we draft a pass catching TE high, we can lean on him and Gronk more. Plus, we still have #12 who can make cast-offs produce.
    If the WR unit needs more help during the season, we also could trade our 3rd rounder next draft for one still on his rookie deal. We'll be getting 2 compensation 3rds next year so we have the ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by burtgummer View Post
    Patriots sign TE Troy Niklas 19 catches in 4 years and rated as the second worst run blocking TE in the league by Pro Football Focus
    Won't make the 53 man roster.

sig bet 7/2/18 - 8/2/18

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast