Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I think Hightower/Van Noy is a good starting duo on talent, but not fit. I think you need one LB that can step out and cover a back out wide. I don't think either of them are best served in that role. Van Noy can do it, but it's not his best fit. Both are better served as your second LB in terms of coverage responsibilities - mostly playing inside and blitzing but mixing it up in different coverage schemes too.

So I'd like to see us make a FA addition like Bradham from PHI. You make him your main coverage LB paired up with Van Noy as the more true inside LB. That kicks Hightower down to DE/Edge opposite Flowers. Then in passing situations you kick Flowers inside and bring in Wise. I think that gives us a very formidable LB core and EDGE group in terms of pass rush, run stopping and coverage.

Obviously you're going to want more depth than just that. Derek Rivers (3rd rounder last year) can hopefully help. I'd like to bring Marquise Flowers back for depth and STs as well. We should look to draft some athletic LBs as well to give coverage depth and STs value.

If the edge depth is good enough for Flowers to play inside then I think Brown/Butler/Guy/Valentine is good enough in there as well.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

I have faith that despite the injuries Hightower will be back and be impactful.I also hope this draft hits,drafting is a crap shoot but might be a linebacker there that is helpful,Darius Leonard,someone like that with a lot of potential.BB does have a knack for finding guys in the league but maybe the draft will play out right too.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    Any facts, stats or evidence to back your claims? Or are we just making blind blanket statements?
    Itís common sense. Did you watch them get torched over and over underneath. Donta is great when healthy but that alone isnt a guarantee and even with him they needed help.

Andy Hart of team-friendly PFW thinks there's a good chance RG retires or is dealt. In other words, the Gronk contract is one of the biggest off-season issues for the Pats.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbangclock View Post
    I have faith that despite the injuries Hightower will be back and be impactful.I also hope this draft hits,drafting is a crap shoot but might be a linebacker there that is helpful,Darius Leonard,someone like that with a lot of potential.BB does have a knack for finding guys in the league but maybe the draft will play out right too.
    Time to move on from Hightower IMO. Great player, his goal line tackle on Lynch in '14 made that SB win possible, but he's played 16 games once in his career. I don't see how attendance improves > age 27.

Quote Originally Posted by elements1985 View Post
    Time to move on from Hightower IMO. Great player, his goal line tackle on Lynch in '14 made that SB win possible, but he's played 16 games once in his career. I don't see how attendance improves > age 27.
    Trading Hightower saves saves $1.023M of cap room. Cutting him now costs us $4.726M of cap room. Cutting him after June 1st saves us $273K of cap room.

Move on from Hightower? Silly suggestion with his contract status.

Accept that the absolute best case scenario with him is that he's obviously going to miss time but hopefully be good to go for the playoffs and build depth accordingly? Definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Trading Hightower saves saves $1.023M of cap room. Cutting him now costs us $4.726M of cap room. Cutting him after June 1st saves us $273K of cap room.

Move on from Hightower? Silly suggestion with his contract status.

Accept that the absolute best case scenario with him is that he's obviously going to miss time but hopefully be good to go for the playoffs and build depth accordingly? Definitely.
    So assume he'll miss time, just not the playoffs? How does that work? Seems like a terrible way to plan a defense.

Cutting him now would be a mistake, I agree. Even the (8.25M) > 06/01 is problematic. But you have to consider the implications of building around someone who'll play ~9-12 games/season going forward.

Keep him around and consider whatever he provides a bonus? Fine. But not ideal when he's your 5th highest paid.

Quote Originally Posted by elements1985 View Post
    So assume he'll miss time, just not the playoffs? How does that work? Seems like a terrible way to plan a defense.

Cutting him now would be a mistake, I agree. Even the (8.25M) > 06/01 is problematic. But you have to consider the implications of building around someone who'll play ~9-12 games/season going forward.

Keep him around and consider whatever he provides a bonus? Fine. But not ideal when he's your 5th highest paid.
    I don't mean that he won't miss the playoffs. I mean that you have to accept he's not going to play a full 16. You just hope for years like 2014, 2015 and 2016 where he misses time here and there but is in the lineup come playoff time. You have to accept that that's the best case scenario with him. Unfortunately, you do have to have to also plan for the less than best case scenario like last year where he actually suffers a season-ending injury. That means building up enough depth to handle him being out.

Can't move on from Gronk or Donta this offseason...Money wise it makes zero sense, the cap hits are too great for what you're losing.

Gronk can be moved next year for little cap impact. Hightower we have to wait another year or 2 past Gronk.

You have to take into account financials with moves like this. Not only are you losing great players (when healthy) but you're not creating enough cap flexibility to replace them. You're essentially paying the same money for less on field impact (again, assuming health).

The staff just has to manage these guys snaps/usage. They've gotten much better with Gronk over the past 2 seasons. Hightower had a freak injury last year, not something you expect. They've done a good job managing Hightowers health as well. They need to keep them healthy for the playoffs. That is where both players impacts on the field are felt most. The team is good enough to win regular season games without these 2. However these are the guys who put you over the top in big games.

It would be reckless to move either this offseason.

City of Champions

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I think Hightower/Van Noy is a good starting duo on talent, but not fit. I think you need one LB that can step out and cover a back out wide. I don't think either of them are best served in that role. Van Noy can do it, but it's not his best fit. Both are better served as your second LB in terms of coverage responsibilities - mostly playing inside and blitzing but mixing it up in different coverage schemes too.

So I'd like to see us make a FA addition like Bradham from PHI. You make him your main coverage LB paired up with Van Noy as the more true inside LB. That kicks Hightower down to DE/Edge opposite Flowers. Then in passing situations you kick Flowers inside and bring in Wise. I think that gives us a very formidable LB core and EDGE group in terms of pass rush, run stopping and coverage.

Obviously you're going to want more depth than just that. Derek Rivers (3rd rounder last year) can hopefully help. I'd like to bring Marquise Flowers back for depth and STs as well. We should look to draft some athletic LBs as well to give coverage depth and STs value.

If the edge depth is good enough for Flowers to play inside then I think Brown/Butler/Guy/Valentine is good enough in there as well.
    I think they need to move Chung more into that coverage LB role. Get a legit nickel CB.

The lack of a nickel CB last year forced them to use Chung as the Nickel. With Hightower out for the whole season and Van Noy banged up the entire second half of the season hurt us big time last year. But with both High and Van Noy coming back...and Butler leaving (hopefully being replaced by a nickel CB). I don't view that coverage LB as a huge need.

(I also think they had plans to make Richards take on a similar role - BUT GOD I HOPE HE GETS CUT)

City of Champions

If Marcus Peters is really available, what do you think he would cost, and would you go after him? Would Bill kick the tires on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Fla.SticKy View Post
    If Marcus Peters is really available, what do you think he would cost, and would you go after him? Would Bill kick the tires on that?
    Unless he can get him cheap as a rental, doubtful. He's in his last year and will be looking to get paid. For what BB would be willing to give KC, they'd be better off just keeping him and letting him walk in the offseason.

City of Champions

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123