Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    God, if I hear Clyde say "Clint's gotta go up and dunk that" after he gets hammered one more time, I swear...

Bad enough his keys to the game are aaaaaalways the same.

Rockets to sigh Brenden Wright apparently

Yep, was gonna post that I would rather get a Center than JJ and looks like my hopes will be answered. He is more than likely replacing Black who I wouldn’t be suprised is release for either JJ or Tony Allen.

Also, Clint is killing the nuggets which is also nice. Man remember when we got him for pick 25?

I don't really see the point, to be honest. I guess if you're going to cut Black, Wright *might* be an improvement, but it's the third-string center we're talking about. Between Capela and Nene, plus small ball, the only PT available is on the second night of B2Bs. Nene has missed a lot of games in his career, though. Including a season-ending injury in the Playoffs. So, yeah, there's that. I guess I get it. Just haven't seen much of Wright lately. I'd he really an upgrade over Black?

Edit
    Read that the Rockets and the Grizzlies had a deal in place yesterday, but it fell through. Wright was ready to waive his trade kicker to make it happen.

After thinking a little more about it, I guess I like it. Wright gives the Rockets a lot more length, and he's probably a better defender that Black when switched. Definitely a good fit.
    Last edited by EDUTEXANS; 02-10-2018 at 12:08 AM.

Man, tonight's game sure was fun. Capela with a monster 23-25 career game. Harden great as usual, in only three quarters (first time in a while).

A 27-point blowout win against a very good Nuggets team, winners of 6 of their last 10, that could be the Rockets' opponent in the first round.

Man, I really like Tarik Black. I don't think that Wright is that much more of a worker over Black. Wright had some good games against the Rockets a few years ago but he's not that much more of a difference maker. I get that Qi and maybe Onaku are projects but are Troy Williams and RJ Hunter good enough to keep? What's their contract story? I could google this stuff but it's Mardi Gras so **** it.
    Last edited by Saddletramp; 02-10-2018 at 05:56 AM.

Couldn't watch the game tonight, but what a huge win against a potential first round opponent and a red hot team.

On the Wright signing, I love it. I like Black OK, but he doesn't completely fit the Rockets mold. Wright is the better defender and pick and roll player. He's like a poor man's Capela, and he fills a void the Rockets currently have when Clint is on the bench.

Wright is never going to give you 18 and 10 over 28 minutes. But he can absolutely give you 8 and 6 over 14 with two highlight reel dunks and a key block. And he somehow always finds a way to have a positive impact on the floor, consistently posting solid plus-minus numbers throughout his career.

I still think Morey is after another guard or wing, though. But I do question how these minutes will be distributed once he's done shopping. They went 10 deep tonight without Nene or Ariza.
    Last edited by mightybosstone; 02-10-2018 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    Man, I really like Tarik Black. I don't think that Wright is that much more of a worker over Black. Wright had some good games against the Rockets a few years ago but he's not that much more of a difference maker. I get that Qi and maybe Onaku are projects but are Troy Williams and RJ Hunter good enough to keep? What's their contract story? I could google this stuff but it's Mardi Gras so **** it.
    Troy Williams has partially guaranteed contract. Guaranteed the rest of the season, $600k guaranteed next year, and totally unguaranteed the year after. Onuaku has a totally guaranteed deal for this and next season. Waiving one of those two will result in dead money next year (minimum amount for Onuaku, $600k for Troy). Not ideal.

With that said, both *could* be claimed off waivers by a young team. Especially Troy. Still young, and a very favorable 2-year contract after this season. But who knows.

Black is an expiring, so cutting him has absolutely no impact on their payroll next year.

And RJ Hunter is on a two-year deal, so he doesn't count on the 15-man roster. Same for Markel Brown.

You guys have Mardi Gras. We have Carnaval. Not really my thing, but 4 days off work, enough to get really really drunk.

Thinking about Wright, he would be a really good fit on the Warrios, wouldn't he? So there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    God, if I hear Clyde say "Clint's gotta go up and dunk that" after he gets hammered one more time, I swear...

Bad enough his keys to the game are aaaaaalways the same.
    I'll always love Clyde as the player who grew up in Houston, playing high school and college basketball locally, and winning a championship with the Rockets. With this being said, he is absolutely brutal on the television broadcasts and I think the only reason they are keeping him is for sentimental reasons. I would rather see them find him a spot in the studio ala Calvin Murphy, but for gods sake, get him off the air.

I think they got Brandan Wright for 2 reasons. First, he is much better at the pick and roll than the other backup centers we have and, second, he is a better interior defender. It seems like whenever Capela gets a rest the opponent focuses on driving to the hoop and we give up too many easy layups when Clint is out. Wright should help defending the paint better than Black or Nene.

Quote Originally Posted by stros1fan View Post
    I'll always love Clyde as the player who grew up in Houston, playing high school and college basketball locally, and winning a championship with the Rockets. With this being said, he is absolutely brutal on the television broadcasts and I think the only reason they are keeping him is for sentimental reasons. I would rather see them find him a spot in the studio ala Calvin Murphy, but for gods sake, get him off the air.
    The tried to something different this season, with Bull and Bill on the play by play, and Drex on the sidelines. Don't know why they went back to all three calling the game.

I'm also hoping Craig replaces Bill for home games soon.

Quote Originally Posted by stros1fan View Post
    I think they got Brandan Wright for 2 reasons. First, he is much better at the pick and roll than the other backup centers we have and, second, he is a better interior defender. It seems like whenever Capela gets a rest the opponent focuses on driving to the hoop and we give up too many easy layups when Clint is out. Wright should help defending the paint better than Black or Nene.
    Yeah, I think you're right. I was fine with Black, though. Also, I'm not sure he's better on the PnR than Nene, he just plays above the rim more, like Clint. On defense, on top of being a better interior defender, I think he's better when switched on smaller, quicker players.

No Wright or JJ for tonight's game. It sounds like they'll officially add both guys tomorrow, so hopefully we'll see them on Tuesday against Minnesota. It's worth noting that Dirk, Matthews and Barrea are all out tonight. That's a bummer as tonight would have been a great opportunity to experiment with different lineups.

Regardless, this one should be a walk in the park in theory. They just need to do a better job defending the 3-point line and the paint than they've done against other young teams this season. I don't want to see a repeat of the Austin Rivers/Darius Miller/Josh Richardson explosions we've seen from random scrub guards this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    Bucks vs raptors in the ECF. Mark my words.

Very tough game in Minnesota tonight. The Wolves have won 13 straight at home. They're 16-1 against the West playing there this season. But they have lost pretty much every road game since the start of the calendar year.

Butler has been fantastic lately.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast