Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    Opt in and trade, guys. Opt in and trade. See my last 150 posts.
    I get that a sign and trade is possible and most likely the option wed go, but what would we trade and get back? We still have to sign CP3 to a max as well.

Opt in and trade, guys. Opt in and trade. See my last 150 posts.
    It doesn't necessarily HAVE to be an opt-in and trade or sign and trade, though. That's the easiest path to getting Lebron without gutting the whole team. But if Cleveland doesn't agree to Morey's trade package, then it's a moot point. I agree that's the preferred method, but the Cavs are holding all the cards in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    Bucks vs raptors in the ECF. Mark my words.

It's not exactly a sign-and-trade. That's also unlikely because it would hard cap the Rockets and they wouldn't be able to re-sign Capela, and the Cavs return would still be pretty much the same.

The idea is for LeBron, Houston and Cleveland all to agree on a deal before July 1st. LeBron exercises his $35.6M player option for next season, and gets moved to the Rockets. Pretty much the same thing Paul did this past summer. The Rockets send the Cavs a package centered around Gordon. Capela and Ariza can't be included because they're free agents. Houston can include future first round picks and guys like Qi, Onuaku and Hartestein. Anderson would also need to be moved, to the Cavs or a third team. Probably a third team, because the Cavs are deep into the luxury tax.

For all that to happen, LeBron needs to want to play for the Rockets and only the Rockets. And the Cavs' front office needs to believe LeBron is definitely not returning, and he's willing to sign with a different team is things don't work out with Houston.

That way, LeBron comes to Houston, Morey adds LeBron while also keeping most of the team together, that includes re-signing Capela and possibly Ariza and Luc AND keeping the MLE (the Rockets would need to renounce it if they were to use cap space to sign James), and the Cavs get Gordon, some picks and some cap relief for a players that's leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    It doesn't necessarily HAVE to be an opt-in and trade or sign and trade, though. That's the easiest path to getting Lebron without gutting the whole team. But if Cleveland doesn't agree to Morey's trade package, then it's a moot point. I agree that's the preferred method, but the Cavs are holding all the cards in that case.
    The thing is, "gutting the whole team" is going to be nearly impossible this summer. Very few teams will have cap space, and there's no telling how many of those will be willing to take contracts and two much it will cost. Could be two picks to unload Anderson and one for PJ. Maybe even dumping Gordon comes with a cost, if teams are looking to sign a different player.

It's a very different world without unguaranteed contracts to make those deals work.

And even if Morey can make all that work, is LeBron alone worth Gordon, Ariza, Anderson, PJ, the MLE, Nene and 2-4 picks?

The thing is, "gutting the whole team" is going to be nearly impossible this summer. Very few teams will have cap space, and there's no telling how many of those will be willing to take contracts and two much it will cost. Could be two picks to unload Anderson and one for PJ. Maybe even dumping Gordon comes with a cost, if teams are looking to sign a different player.

It's a very different world without unguaranteed contracts to make those deals work.

And even if Morey can make all that work, is LeBron alone worth Gordon, Ariza, Anderson, PJ, the MLE, Nene and 2-4 picks?
    That was my point, is it worth it. I dont think it is. Now, we have to consider what vets would follow Lebron.

Wade and Frye are most likely coming with him. Jeff green is playing for the min right now right? Luc could still be here.

Paul
    Harden
    Luc
    Lebron
    Capela

Bench: Wade, Geralrd Green, Jeff Green, Frye

Jameer Nelson is on his last year of his contract so he might be a serviceable option for a back up.

Any of this sound possible?

Yes. A trade is just a much, much better outcome for every party involved.

I was wondering, just for fun, what if LeBron tries to force his way out this week, before the deadline, and is willing to waive his no-trade clause for the Rockets. Would you guys do Capela, Gordon, Anderson (PJ, Ariza and Black instead of Ryno also works, but that's half of the rotation) and 2 or 3 first round picks for LeBron? What if Shumpert is included for Ariza and Black, or JR or Thompson for Ariza and PJ?

I was wondering, just for fun, what if LeBron tries to force his way out this week, before the deadline, and is willing to waive his no-trade clause for the Rockets. Would you guys do Capela, Gordon, Anderson (PJ, Ariza and Black instead of Ryno also works, but that's half of the rotation) and 2 or 3 first round picks for LeBron? What if Shumpert is included for Ariza and Black, or JR or Thompson for Ariza and PJ?
    No. Not unless he promises to re-sign an extension or re-up in the offseason. Also, the Rockets would have to add a center to replace Capela, which I don't think will be an easy task. But giving up Gordon, Capela, Ryno and picks is way too much for a half-year rental of Lebron.

Now, if he's willing to sign an extension or guarantee at least two more years, then I'd very seriously consider it. But there's a part of me that wonders if it'll mess with chemistry on a team that is already closer to the Warriors than any team in the league by a mile. There's a chance they make that deal and it makes them worse, possibly pushing Lebron AND Paul away from the team in the offseason, in addition to losing Gordon and Capela. That's kind of a nightmare scenario.

Yes. A trade is just a much, much better outcome for every party involved.
    Not if I'm Cleveland and my ultimate goal is to tank and get rid of as many contracts as possible. That's why the trade is such a wild card scenario: if the Cavs don't want to win basketball games next season, then there's not really a package the Rockets could offer that they would want. They don't really have the young pieces and assets that a rebuilding team would covet.

I agree the deal makes sense for the Rockets and for the Cavs if Cleveland ultimately still wants to contend in the East.

No. Not unless he promises to re-sign an extension or re-up in the offseason. Also, the Rockets would have to add a center to replace Capela, which I don't think will be an easy task. But giving up Gordon, Capela, Ryno and picks is way too much for a half-year rental of Lebron.
    I think, in this hypothetical case, if he forces his way out and specifically asks to be traded to Houston, I think that's a clear sign of commitment. But, anyway, let's say he does commit. I was thinking and there's no way the Cavs take that deal. They can't pay TT, JR, Ryno and Shump a combined $60M+ next year, plus Love, Gordon, Crowder AND Capela's new deal. That's over $130M. Either Anderson goes to a third team, meaning one or two picks fewer o Cleveland, or we take at least Shumpert for Ariza.

Now, if he's willing to sign an extension or guarantee at least two more years, then I'd very seriously consider it. But there's a part of me that wonders if it'll mess with chemistry on a team that is already closer to the Warriors than any team in the league by a mile. There's a chance they make that deal and it makes them worse, possibly pushing Lebron AND Paul away from the team in the offseason, in addition to losing Gordon and Capela. That's kind of a nightmare scenario.
    That's something I've been wondering, as well. Both now and next year. That's why the best possible scenario is the opt-in and trade. You don't need a complete roster turnover.

Another thing to consider is, if the Rockets and the Cavs agree to that opt-in trade, it will happen after the Draft, and the Rockets will be able to trade the '19 pick, and the '21, '23... Right now they can only trade their '20 one. Then '22, '24...

Not if I'm Cleveland and my ultimate goal is to tank and get rid of as many contracts as possible. That's why the trade is such a wild card scenario: if the Cavs don't want to win basketball games next season, then there's not really a package the Rockets could offer that they would want. They don't really have the young pieces and assets that a rebuilding team would covet.

I agree the deal makes sense for the Rockets and for the Cavs if Cleveland ultimately still wants to contend in the East.
    But if they're tanking and not trying to win games in the near future, why not take bad contracts with assets attached? That's what tanking teams usually do. They get a couple of picks, and Gordon who they can move later.

With that said, they obviously can't pay the luxury tax because of guys like Thompson, Ryno and JR. Man, LeBron really screwed his own team up with thos deals.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

I think it is almost a certainty Lebron will not be returning to Cleveland next year. That team is a mess and it has been recently reported that the front office is not involving him in any future player personnel decisions. It was also reported that Lebron cursed out a few front office executives in a recent meeting. So, him wanting to leave Cleveland is a strong possibility, but will Houston be his only desirable location? If the Rockets make it to the WCFs and give the Warriors a fight (make it at least a 6-game series) along with his strong relationship with CP3 could really help sway his decision. What other teams do you think he would consider? Golden State? Boston? San Antonio?

A tough win last night. Brooklyn seems to play the Rockets tough for some reason, but that's a young team with nothing to lose that plays hard and fast, so it can be expected. I only caught the first half and a small chunk of the second, so I can't really comment on the game too much other than the fact that their defense was atrocious most of the night and Ryno left early on with a tweaked ankle.

But I posted these notes in the general forum, and they're worth discussing here:
    - The Rockets have now caught Golden State in the loss column. If both teams lose the same number of games the rest of the way, then Houston gets the 1 seed.
    - Harden topped 15,000 points last night at only 28 years old.
    - The Rockets now have the best 52-game start in franchise history, despite playing a combined 25 games without either Paul or Harden.
    - Houston is now 23-1 when Harden, Paul and Capela all play.

A tough win last night. Brooklyn seems to play the Rockets tough for some reason, but that's a young team with nothing to lose that plays hard and fast, so it can be expected. I only caught the first half and a small chunk of the second, so I can't really comment on the game too much other than the fact that their defense was atrocious most of the night and Ryno left early on with a tweaked ankle.

But I posted these notes in the general forum, and they're worth discussing here:
    - The Rockets have now caught Golden State in the loss column. If both teams lose the same number of games the rest of the way, then Houston gets the 1 seed.
    - Harden topped 15,000 points last night at only 28 years old.
    - The Rockets now have the best 52-game start in franchise history, despite playing a combined 25 games without either Paul or Harden.
    - Houston is now 23-1 when Harden, Paul and Capela all play.
    They're playing amazing right now but I can't help but think that the Warriors are doing a "Lebron Cruise" until the payoffs start. Maybe the Rockets tying things up will light a fire under them but I think they're not too worried until the playoffs get here.

Wonder how the Spurs will look when/if Kawhi gets back. I assume they'll be a hard out in April/May. And OKC scares me. These really are the best four teams in the West. I really hope GS/OKC is a second round matchup along with Hou/SAS. Every other team would be boring.

Quote Originally Posted by stros1fan View Post
    I think it is almost a certainty Lebron will not be returning to Cleveland next year. That team is a mess and it has been recently reported that the front office is not involving him in any future player personnel decisions. It was also reported that Lebron cursed out a few front office executives in a recent meeting. So, him wanting to leave Cleveland is a strong possibility, but will Houston be his only desirable location? If the Rockets make it to the WCFs and give the Warriors a fight (make it at least a 6-game series) along with his strong relationship with CP3 could really help sway his decision. What other teams do you think he would consider? Golden State? Boston? San Antonio?
    Philly maybe? Hard to say. Maybe he looks for a big market.

And what if the Rockets somehow get past the Warriors and win the championship? Do you still go after him?

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    They're playing amazing right now but I can't help but think that the Warriors are doing a "Lebron Cruise" until the payoffs start. Maybe the Rockets tying things up will light a fire under them but I think they're not too worried until the playoffs get here.
    They definitely don't act like it, though. You hear Kerr talking after games, and it you get the feeling they've lost like 10 in a row. Maybe they are getting through some internal crisis.

Wonder how the Spurs will look when/if Kawhi gets back. I assume they'll be a hard out in April/May. And OKC scares me. These really are the best four teams in the West. I really hope GS/OKC is a second round matchup along with Hou/SAS. Every other team would be boring.
    I fear the Spurs, maybe even without Kawhi, more than OKC.

I like this Markel Brown guy.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast