Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Pay him. it's what the market dictates. Did Brady or Manning or any franchise QB really hit the free agent market. Teams usually tie them up long term. if Alex Smith got what he got with all the talent he had versus what Cousins had then you pay him. Younger and can throw and with new OC. No pick in the draft is guaranteed. Jets have plenty of cash and can make great improvements with some other free agents and picks. Also who's to say what the QB class is like in the next four years in the draft.

Sometimes, as fans, we really need to take a long look in the mirror and without rose colored glasses, evaluate the current state of our teams. If you truly believe the Jets are a player or two away from competing for a championship, then you can add a Cousins. If you're like me and are realistic, then I say you pass on Cousins and look to draft your QB of the future. When I was young, I used to look at my team and totally overvalue the players, as I get older, I have a lot more experience and sorry folks, but our beloved Jets are a few years away of being a true contender. Let's spend our money wisely and target guys who can help 2 to 3 years from now. Also, if Cousins was truly a franchise QB, then why did Washington not offer him a long term contract? Isn't it safe to say they know the player better than anyone right now? I like the guy for a team like Denver, but he's not our answer.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by lamonster View Post
    Sometimes, as fans, we really need to take a long look in the mirror and without rose colored glasses, evaluate the current state of our teams. If you truly believe the Jets are a player or two away from competing for a championship, then you can add a Cousins. If you're like me and are realistic, then I say you pass on Cousins and look to draft your QB of the future. When I was young, I used to look at my team and totally overvalue the players, as I get older, I have a lot more experience and sorry folks, but our beloved Jets are a few years away of being a true contender. Let's spend our money wisely and target guys who can help 2 to 3 years from now. Also, if Cousins was truly a franchise QB, then why did Washington not offer him a long term contract? Isn't it safe to say they know the player better than anyone right now? I like the guy for a team like Denver, but he's not our answer.
    2CBs, Pass rusher, 2 very good OL, a really good change of pace back and a QB

With the loot we have to spend, it's not impossible by any means. They just have to be really smart.

I don't want cousins. I'd rather draft a kid and resign McCown. I don't think Cousins is worth the price difference
    Last edited by Kinkotheclown; 01-31-2018 at 09:27 PM.

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

Anything over 20 mil is too much for Cousins.. This draft is just too rich at the qb position to blow all our cap on a 2nd rung qb whose team wants nothing to do with.. Redskins didn't even wanna try to negotiate with the guy, that is telling..

Ladies and Gentlemen, we must sign Cousins. We must outbid everybody and let Cousins know we will surround him with the supporting personnel needed to win the AFC East. No fooling around here. A quarterback with his talents and at 29 y/o is once of a lifetime opportunity that we have never had in free agency. So just like my beloved Yankees had Stanton fall right to them we have the similar chance to grab Cousins who nobody would have thought would be and outright free agent. Stability at the most important team sport position is what we need and we cannot fail. Sign this guy move up in the draft and get Barkley and lets have fun on the offensive side of the ball again. We will succeed and gain the respect that our Team, City, fans & owners deserve. I'm 57 and I have suffered enough. I want to beat the Patriots next year and everybody else. Not 2 or 3 years from now. We have the money, you have the best quarterback in the open market dont mess this up Gang Green. JETS JETS!
    Last edited by SangreVerdeNY; 02-01-2018 at 05:49 AM. Reason: SPELLING

cousins is not stanton and the yankees didnt outbid everybody for him, infact they gave useless crap to the marlins for stanton, If we could give cousins a team friendly contract then yes, but he is by no means the savior.

What we need to do first is get rid of the cancer Wilkerson, that SOB if he played like he did when he wanted to get paid he would at least be a good trading chip to move up on the draft but hes a useless overpaid arse.

Iím trying to remember where I was when Cousins turned into Joe Montana. The guy is good and is the best free agent QB to hit the open market in a long time, but he is not our answer. Weíve all been suffering for a long time, but there are no quick fixes. If we want to compete with the Patriots, we need to stay the course, keep developing our young defense and draft the right guy at QB this year. This way, a year or two from now, we can start really competing for a championship. Iím not trying to rain on your free agency fantasy parade, Iím just being realistic.

There has to be some reason why Washington doesn't want him, if they thought he was there franchise qb I'd expect them to at least attempt to sign him..

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleBuckFaston View Post
    There has to be some reason why Washington doesn't want him, if they thought he was there franchise qb I'd expect them to at least attempt to sign him..
    Ding-ding-ding

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBuckFaston View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Ding-ding-ding
    It is an extremely complicated situation having nothing to do with his on the field or off the field performance. The long and short of it is Washington backed themselves into a corner with him. To get the full picture you have to go back to the beginning, when they Redskins drafted RGIII 2nd overall AND STILL took Kirk in the 4th round the same draft. Mike and Kyle Shannahan really liked him coming out but RGIII was the future. We all know what happened with him, by all accounts Kirk was always better than him in practice, but that 2012 rookie season by RGIII was special.

Fast forward to when it was clear RGIII was trash and Kirk, who had ridden the pine as anyone who was behind the #2 overall pick that the team had to give a TON for. His first year as a starter was the last year of his rookie contract and he had an incredible season:

Completion % - 70%
    Yards - 4200
    TD - 29
    INT - 11

So a guy making a few hundred thousand is now a starter for a full season, in a contract year and has a top 5-10 statistical year in 2015. The Franchise tag was +/- 20M that year and Washington, maybe rightfully so, wants to see him do it again. They lowball him at 12M a year and he bets on himself and takes the 20M franchise tag.

Now 2016 comes and he again balls out:

Completion % - 67
    Yards - just under 5k!!!
    TD - 25
    Int - 12

Again, top 10 season unquestioned. Now the issue is the Redskins have to pay him a deal more than the 20M he made last year OR franchise him again and pay him 25M. Knowing overtime they franchise him and he "wins" his contract floor goes higher and higher. They again lowball him in the 16-18M a year range and he says no way and collects his 25M guaranteed for 1 year.

its last season now, only change is he has lost his OC Sean McCoy and his top 3 weapons in Garcon, Desean Jackson both to FA and Jordan Reed to injury. yet he still balls out:

Completion % - 65
    Yards - 4100
    TD - 27
    INT - 13

Now Washington has really screwed themselves. They have a top 10 QB for 3 straight years who knows he has a promised 34M this year if they franchise him, and because he made 25M last year on the tag that sets his average annual floor for them at or above 25M per. They know they can't pay him so make the trade for Smith and here we are.

There is more to it, like the fact they never offered him a fair contract, and he was probably put off by that. The beautiful thing about QB's is men lie, women lie, but numbers don't. His numbers make him a top 10 QB in the NFL. They don't tell you everything, but they tell you 80%. He did this with 2 different coaches in SHannahan and then Gruden, he did it with 3 different OC's in Kyle Shannahan, then Sean McCoy, and now whoever they had this year, I can't think of his name.

Hopefully that makes some sense as to why.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsguy View Post
    It is an extremely complicated situation having nothing to do with his on the field or off the field performance. The long and short of it is Washington backed themselves into a corner with him. To get the full picture you have to go back to the beginning, when they Redskins drafted RGIII 2nd overall AND STILL took Kirk in the 4th round the same draft. Mike and Kyle Shannahan really liked him coming out but RGIII was the future. We all know what happened with him, by all accounts Kirk was always better than him in practice, but that 2012 rookie season by RGIII was special.

Fast forward to when it was clear RGIII was trash and Kirk, who had ridden the pine as anyone who was behind the #2 overall pick that the team had to give a TON for. His first year as a starter was the last year of his rookie contract and he had an incredible season:

Completion % - 70%
    Yards - 4200
    TD - 29
    INT - 11

So a guy making a few hundred thousand is now a starter for a full season, in a contract year and has a top 5-10 statistical year in 2015. The Franchise tag was +/- 20M that year and Washington, maybe rightfully so, wants to see him do it again. They lowball him at 12M a year and he bets on himself and takes the 20M franchise tag.

Now 2016 comes and he again balls out:

Completion % - 67
    Yards - just under 5k!!!
    TD - 25
    Int - 12

Again, top 10 season unquestioned. Now the issue is the Redskins have to pay him a deal more than the 20M he made last year OR franchise him again and pay him 25M. Knowing overtime they franchise him and he "wins" his contract floor goes higher and higher. They again lowball him in the 16-18M a year range and he says no way and collects his 25M guaranteed for 1 year.

its last season now, only change is he has lost his OC Sean McCoy and his top 3 weapons in Garcon, Desean Jackson both to FA and Jordan Reed to injury. yet he still balls out:

Completion % - 65
    Yards - 4100
    TD - 27
    INT - 13

Now Washington has really screwed themselves. They have a top 10 QB for 3 straight years who knows he has a promised 34M this year if they franchise him, and because he made 25M last year on the tag that sets his average annual floor for them at or above 25M per. They know they can't pay him so make the trade for Smith and here we are.

There is more to it, like the fact they never offered him a fair contract, and he was probably put off by that. The beautiful thing about QB's is men lie, women lie, but numbers don't. His numbers make him a top 10 QB in the NFL. They don't tell you everything, but they tell you 80%. He did this with 2 different coaches in SHannahan and then Gruden, he did it with 3 different OC's in Kyle Shannahan, then Sean McCoy, and now whoever they had this year, I can't think of his name.

Hopefully that makes some sense as to why.
    Great post! Despite everything you just said, letís hope and pray the Broncos read it and sign him! He is not our answer.

Iím trying to remember where I was when Cousins turned into Joe Montana. The guy is good and is the best free agent QB to hit the open market in a long time, but he is not our answer. Weíve all been suffering for a long time, but there are no quick fixes. If we want to compete with the Patriots, we need to stay the course, keep developing our young defense and draft the right guy at QB this year. This way, a year or two from now, we can start really competing for a championship. Iím not trying to rain on your free agency fantasy parade, Iím just being realistic.
    I don't think anyone is trying to say he is Joe Montana, though if there is anyone it is probably me haha. When people are talking about Cousins they are saying 1 of 2 things. the first, is we can't pay him that much money omg! I honestly can't understand that argument. You pay him what the market dictates, just like Denver, or Cleveland, or Arizona or whoever will do when he gets signed. You pay him for what he has done the past 3 years (be a top 10 QB) and what you think he will do for the next 5 (his 29-34 age seasons, and his 4th-9th as a starter in the NFL) AKA his prime years. We have a ton of cap why not use it!

The other argument is similar to yours, that we should trust the process, draft the right guy and let him be the guy. Here is my problem with that, we have NEVER drafted the right guy, literally in 50 years we have not done it once. Why we are so convinced this is our year I will never know. Here is the truth, if we had the 1st pick, even the 2nd pick ok I am all for it. It seems the consensus is Darnold and Rosen are the main guys, though they to have plenty of question marks. Allen and Mayfield are prospects but have a ton of holes, and those are MAYBE who we can pick between if they don't get drafted before 6. Where does your confidence that we will pick the right guy and develop him this time? We have a defensive minded HC who has done nothing with our 2 young QBs.

My question to you or anyone else here is simple:

Why are you/we so hesitant to sign what is without argument the best QB we have had in the last 40 years?

Great post! Despite everything you just said, letís hope and pray the Broncos read it and sign him! He is not our answer.
    lol fair enough. We all have different opinions thats the beauty of being a fan, we all think we know exactly what this team needs to finally be contenders which is the only thing any of us want!

I don't care how it happens I just need it to happen before I die!

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsguy View Post
    I could point out many QB's who it seems had a worse season than McCown, it means nothing if not taken with context. Cousins will be the highest paid QB next year, that is not fan or media rhetoric, that is the way the QB market works for franchise QB's. We have never seen a franchise QB come available in free agency since Drew Brees and that was for different reasons. This is a proven commodity just starting his prime, NOT a quick fix for any team.

I could go on a million reasons why Washington let Cousins go but all you have to do is read any article or basically anything on Twitter from a reputable source, it has zero to do with his abilities.
    Again, I am in no way trying to make it seem that Cousins isn't better than McCown. I know that he is and I would rather have him than McCown. I just don't think he is worth how much more he will be paid.

I don't care that that is what the market bares because of the infrequency of available franchise QBs. Also, part of why franchise guys don't make it to FA is because many teams develop their own and keep them. I would prefer to see the Jets do that.

Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    Again, I am in no way trying to make it seem that Cousins isn't better than McCown. I know that he is and I would rather have him than McCown. I just don't think he is worth how much more he will be paid.

I don't care that that is what the market bares because of the infrequency of available franchise QBs. Also, part of why franchise guys don't make it to FA is because many teams develop their own and keep them. I would prefer to see the Jets do that.
    100%

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast