Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flfan1943 View Post
    Here is the thing about the Jimmy G contract. It is for 137.5m for 5 years which comes to 27.5m per year. It really is 74m for 5 years @ 14.8m per year. The only thing that counts is guaranteed money. You can offer a contract for 250m for 5 years but if you only guarantee 74m than the contract is for 74m.
    That is why I have always said if you structure a contract correctly, there is no free agent you can't sign if you have 20 million in cap space or more. Plus with most NFL contracts, the big money is in the first 2 years.
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flfan1943 View Post
    Here is the thing about the Jimmy G contract. It is for 137.5m for 5 years which comes to 27.5m per year. It really is 74m for 5 years @ 14.8m per year. The only thing that counts is guaranteed money. You can offer a contract for 250m for 5 years but if you only guarantee 74m than the contract is for 74m.
    That is not how it works at all. You don't spread the guarantee out over 5 years, almost the opposite, they pay the majority of it to you in the first 2 or 3 years. If he is there in years 4 and 5 his salary is still 28M or whatever.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    AJ McCarron may get to be unrestricted. I would take a long look at him.

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by wiley6:32160423
    The bar was just set at 27.5mil/year+ for Cousins given that is what Jimmy G. just got and Cousins has proven more. No way do I want the Jets to offer that unless all of the guaranteed money is only in the first two years.
    Just because SF was dumb enough to give that contract to a QB who's started a handful of NFL games, doesn't mean another team will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Just because SF was dumb enough to give that contract to a QB who's started a handful of NFL games, doesn't mean another team will do that.
    Let the Broncos and Vikings battle for Cousins. They are closer to the goal anyway where an experienced QB could put them over the top.

It will also help the Jets, because if the Broncos get him, then they might not pick a QB in front of the Jets and if the Vikings get him, then one or two of their QBs hit the market.

I truly don't understand any hesitation to sign Cousins....

Jets will have over 100 mill in cap space after cuts....

Spend it all!!!

If you have to overpay to convince Cousins to put on the green & white, you do it....

5 Years, 150? Done.

It's not about him living up to the money, it's about securing someone who on the day he signs becomes an instant top 3 QB in franchise history...

After 1 season, he would quickly own every Jet passing record & you then use the draft & rest of cap (an additional 70 mill!!!) to get edge rushers, Corners & a new Center....

This is the NFL, turnarounds do not have to be a long process...

Cousins instantly makes this team a playoff team. What you put in place with the rest of the money & the picks can have you a contender for a chip...

This year!...

You can't put a price tag on that...

Quote Originally Posted by NYK2RIP View Post

This year!...

You just did. LOL. $30 million that could be spent elsewhere and the loss ofa dream to sign your own franchise QB right out of the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by NYK2RIP View Post
    I truly don't understand any hesitation to sign Cousins....

Jets will have over 100 mill in cap space after cuts....

Spend it all!!!

If you have to overpay to convince Cousins to put on the green & white, you do it....

5 Years, 150? Done.

It's not about him living up to the money, it's about securing someone who on the day he signs becomes an instant top 3 QB in franchise history...

After 1 season, he would quickly own every Jet passing record & you then use the draft & rest of cap (an additional 70 mill!!!) to get edge rushers, Corners & a new Center....

This is the NFL, turnarounds do not have to be a long process...

Cousins instantly makes this team a playoff team. What you put in place with the rest of the money & the picks can have you a contender for a chip...

This year!...

Having 30mil dedicated to one player who isn't a game changer on a team of 53 that still needs more talent at several positions is not a wise allotment of money in a sport with a salary cap. If we were talking about a top 5 QB, then it would be worth it, but that is not what Cousins is. Last year he was barely top 10. The team's history of a paucity of good QBs should have no bearing on the decision to overpay for a lesser talent.

Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    Having 30mil dedicated to one player who isn't a game changer on a team of 53 that still needs more talent at several positions is not a wise allotment of money in a sport with a salary cap. If we were talking about a top 5 QB, then it would be worth it, but that is not what Cousins is. Last year he was barely top 10. The team's history of a paucity of good QBs should have no bearing on the decision to overpay for a lesser talent.
    I guess people think differently than I do with a QB like Kirk Cousins. I will go on record as stating, and I believe it, that if the Jets have a QB like Kirk Cousins last year they are in the playoffs. I truly believe a QB like Kirk Cousins last year wins you the following games you lost:

@Buffalo
    New England
    @Miami
    Atlanta
    @Tampa Bay
    @New Orleans
    San Diego
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

If McCarron hits FA, I sign him to a 3 year deal and draft a rookie

Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    I guess people think differently than I do with a QB like Kirk Cousins. I will go on record as stating, and I believe it, that if the Jets have a QB like Kirk Cousins last year they are in the playoffs. I truly believe a QB like Kirk Cousins last year wins you the following games you lost:

@Buffalo
    New England
    @Miami
    Atlanta
    @Tampa Bay
    @New Orleans
    San Diego
    I don't doubt that, but they also could have won those games with any of the following.

- better OL play
    - any semblance of a pass rush
    - better DB coverage
    - a TE who can catch consistently

I don't want the Jets to spend 30mil on a QB unless he makes them a legit SB contender, not just a playoff contender. Been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    If McCarron hits FA, I sign him to a 3 year deal and draft a rookie
    I would be happy with that or a healthy Bradford or Bridgewater. Any of those options would cost a fraction of what Cousins would cost and money could be focused on improving all of the other holes on the team.

I would be happy with that or a healthy Bradford or Bridgewater. Any of those options would cost a fraction of what Cousins would cost and money could be focused on improving all of the other holes on the team.
    Yep.

if he was a top 5 , he wouldnt be a free agent. he'd be on a long term contract. do you sign him for $25/year?

Quote Originally Posted by afmanic View Post
    if he was a top 5 , he wouldnt be a free agent. he'd be on a long term contract. do you sign him for $25/year?
    I wouldn't. I don't think he's that guy. I would rather bring a guy like McCarron (if he becomes an UFA) or like Wiley suggested, Bradford or Bridgewater and then sign a rook.
    I also don't want Keenum.

I like Cousins this much, I would rather see McCown under center for us than to spend 25 mil on cousins.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast