Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thoughts on Jets going after Kirk cousins ? Yes or No

Just want to see what everyone thinks of our NYJETS going all in for kirk cousins or sitting back and looking at another QB ?

I have to admit I am honestly torn apart on this one. I would love to see kirk cousins as our QB he is a proven QB in the league he has all the tools be elite and he plays smart. I do not want him if it will cost us 25mil a year but If we gave him 20 mil a year for 5 or 6 years with 70 guaranteed I can get on board with that. If we give anything more it will hurt us for other areas of need. I think I still might take a qb with our first or second pick to protect our future or at least pursue a really good backup like teddy bridgewater or sam bradford or josh McCown.

Getting cousins and then really getting key players in free agency gives us options with our number 6 pick we could take siquan barkley RB, quenten nelson G, Minkah Fitzpatrick DB, Vita Vea DT or Orlando brown T. We could also swap #1 picks trade back try to get another second round pick or first next year and in the second round maybe take a QB like josh allen or mason Rudolph or lamar Jackson. I also like the rb Rashaad Penny or derrius guice if they slip. If we do get cousins I wouldn't be opposed to drafting back to back olineman and really beefing up our oline. It looks like this year olineman seem deep to draft.

Well it was just a thought and wanted to get some of your opinions on how we need to approach this offseason. We have a ton of money to use this year just want us to spend it wisely.

I hope the Jets pass on Cousins if it means paying him more than 20mil/yr, and it definitely will.

Quote Originally Posted by wiley6:32139451
    I hope the Jets pass on Cousins if it means paying him more than 20mil/yr, and it definitely will.
    More than 20 per... Pass... At a good price, absolutely. He's a good QB. I wouldn't mind at all signing him and drafting one with our 1st rounder, as long as his contract doesn't prevent us from making other key signings and building a good team.

I think he's a top 10 QB, or at least close enough to it to be a good candidate to lead a team on a playoff run in the right situation.

If he's gonna cost more than 20 per year, I say no and just go all in on trading up for Darnold or Rosen. Future picks are worth giving up if you think you're getting a franchise QB. The Rams and Eagles are pretty damn happy with Wentz and Goff. I think the top two this year will be very good as well, very soon.

First choice, go all in on one of them. If that doesn't happen I wouldn't hate signing Cousins to a reasonable deal and drafting Mayfield or Allen. Draft some o-linemen, maybe a 2nd round RB. Build protection and a good run game and we can compete for a playoff spot next year with Cousins and using nearly 100 million in cap space after we make some cuts.

Here is the thing if you are Todd Bowles and Mac: Even though you got 2 year extensions, can you really feel all that safe in terms of job security if you look at another 5-11 or 6-10 season with a rookie QB?

The reason I would be all in on Kirk Cousins is this:

Loss at Buffalo 21-12
    Loss to New England 24-17
    Loss to Atlanta 25-20
    Loss at Miami 31-28
    Loss at Tampa Bay 15-10
    Loss to San Diego 14-7
    Loss to New Orleans 31-19

I am on of those people who believes if you had a QB like Kirk Cousins under center last year (And I don't think McCown was horrible by any stretch), the Jets are EASILY 10-6 or 11-5 and in the playoffs. If you get the QB situation out of the way, then it frees you up come draft time.
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    No.

Unless he's under 20 a year with only 2 or 3 guaranteed and we still draft a guy.

I don't think he's a good leader. I don't think he's any good in the red zone. I doh't think he's great. He's good and he's top 15 in the league but not anywhere near a franchise guy.

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

Pass. He costs too much money for my liking.

If the Jets don't get him, please let the Broncos or the Browns to get him.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Im a definite YES on Cousins and ill pay him whatever the Market Yields, probably 26-30M annually with a ton guaranteed.

Not sure how old most are on here but Cousins 3-4 years in this league would also be the 3-4 best statistical seasons a Jets QB has ever had. His 4 seasons in total would put him

4th is Jets HISTORY in passing yards
    3rd in Jets HISTORY in TOT TD's
    1st in Jets HISTORY Comp %
    1st in Jets HISTORY yds per comp

I can't imagine why you guys would not want a LOCK to be our best ever QB at 29 years old with not a ton of miles on him. What he did this year with that awful cast/injury in Washington was incredible. You hope and pray your 1st round draft pick at QB can turn into Kirk Cousins.

I am baffled why an organization who is so starved for a bonafide top 10-12 QB, has literally never had one would not want one, for no comp at all.

Count me in for a definite yes on Cousins over the 3rd or 4th best QB in an overrated draft class in whoever falls this year.

Get Cousins, draft Barkley at 6 a corner and an o-lineman in the 2nd maybe a WR and pass rusher in FA and lets ****ing go.

Cousins said a teams chance of winning will play heavily into his decision, so if Denver wants him that's where he'll go. That'd be a good thing but hopefully they don't then trade the pick to someone who wants a QB.

CLE tried to trade for Smith. Really sucks they didn't get him.

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsguy View Post
    Im a definite YES on Cousins and ill pay him whatever the Market Yields, probably 26-30M annually with a ton guaranteed.

Not sure how old most are on here but Cousins 3-4 years in this league would also be the 3-4 best statistical seasons a Jets QB has ever had. His 4 seasons in total would put him

4th is Jets HISTORY in passing yards
    3rd in Jets HISTORY in TOT TD's
    1st in Jets HISTORY Comp %
    1st in Jets HISTORY yds per comp

I can't imagine why you guys would not want a LOCK to be our best ever QB at 29 years old with not a ton of miles on him. What he did this year with that awful cast/injury in Washington was incredible. You hope and pray your 1st round draft pick at QB can turn into Kirk Cousins.

I am baffled why an organization who is so starved for a bonafide top 10-12 QB, has literally never had one would not want one, for no comp at all.

Count me in for a definite yes on Cousins over the 3rd or 4th best QB in an overrated draft class in whoever falls this year.

Get Cousins, draft Barkley at 6 a corner and an o-lineman in the 2nd maybe a WR and pass rusher in FA and lets ****ing go.
    Cousins is not a good enough to offer a blank check to. Here are some Cousins/McCown comparisons to consider from last year to illustrate my point.

Cousins
    QBR, 52.4 / RAT, 93.9 / TDS:INTS, 27:13 / COMP%, 64.3 / YDS per AT, 7.58 (using that since they did not the same number of games)

McCown
    QBR, 52.2 / RAT, 94.5 / TDS:INTS, 18:9 / COMP%, 67.3 / YDS per AT, 7.37

No one would ever consider giving McCown a blank check. Why should anyone consider doing that for Cousins when he had a similar year to McCown last year?

I am in no way saying that I wouldn't rather have Cousins, but not at the cost that he is seeking. He is not enough of a game changer to merit that.

Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    Cousins is not a good enough to offer a blank check to. Here are some Cousins/McCown comparisons to consider from last year to illustrate my point.

Cousins
    QBR, 52.4 / RAT, 93.9 / TDS:INTS, 27:13 / COMP%, 64.3 / YDS per AT, 7.58 (using that since they did not the same number of games)

McCown
    QBR, 52.2 / RAT, 94.5 / TDS:INTS, 18:9 / COMP%, 67.3 / YDS per AT, 7.37

No one would ever consider giving McCown a blank check. Why should anyone consider doing that for Cousins when he had a similar year to McCown last year?

I am in no way saying that I wouldn't rather have Cousins, but not at the cost that he is seeking. He is not enough of a game changer to merit that.
    Cousins is literally 10 years younger and that was the best statistical year McCown has ever had, why would you give a blank check to a guy who is 40, had a career year, and is coming off an injury? Worst comparison ever.

Cousins is the definition of a franchise QB any way you slice it. Its fine if you don't want him but lets not insult anyone who reads this and pretend Cousins is Josh McCown for **** sakes.

Cousins is not elite, nor is he the best QB in the league. But neither is Stafford, or Luck, or anyone else who have recently been made the highest paid player in the NFL. Thats the way the NFL and being a franchise QB works

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsguy View Post
    Cousins is literally 10 years younger and that was the best statistical year McCown has ever had, why would you give a blank check to a guy who is 40, had a career year, and is coming off an injury? Worst comparison ever.

Cousins is the definition of a franchise QB any way you slice it. Its fine if you don't want him but lets not insult anyone who reads this and pretend Cousins is Josh McCown for **** sakes.

Cousins is not elite, nor is he the best QB in the league. But neither is Stafford, or Luck, or anyone else who have recently been made the highest paid player in the NFL. Thats the way the NFL and being a franchise QB works
    First, at not point did I indicate that McCown would/should/could get a blank check. I in fact state that no one would even consider that. The comparison of last year's stats is to illustrate that Cousins is not worth four times what McCown is paid.

Second, you pointing out the difference in age between Cousins and McCown doesn't really change my point. In fact, it is a further indictment of Cousins' value. At what should be his peak value, Cousins couldn't significantly outperform a 40 year journeyman QB. Cousins' stats/ratings have also gotten progressively worse each of the last three seasons.

Third, at no point did I say Cousins was McCown. In fact, I stated that I would rather have Cousins. However, not at four times the cost. The Jets would regret that.

Finally, why is the team that should know his value best willing to just let him walk and seem unwilling to pay his price? In a league in which having a franchise QB is so important, why is Washington willing to let their's walk and replace him with an older player they still have to pay decent money to?

The Jets should not feel compelled to commit to a desperation overpay, because sports reporters and misguided fans believe they have to be relevant. Those same reporters and fans will be lined up to criticize them when the quick fix overpay fails, as they have historically for the Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    First, at not point did I indicate that McCown would/should/could get a blank check. I in fact state that no one would even consider that. The comparison of last year's stats is to illustrate that Cousins is not worth four times what McCown is paid.

Second, you pointing out the difference in age between Cousins and McCown doesn't really change my point. In fact, it is a further indictment of Cousins' value. At what should be his peak value, Cousins couldn't significantly outperform a 40 year journeyman QB. Cousins' stats/ratings have also gotten progressively worse each of the last three seasons.

Third, at no point did I say Cousins was McCown. In fact, I stated that I would rather have Cousins. However, not at four times the cost. The Jets would regret that.

Finally, why is the team that should know his value best willing to just let him walk and seem unwilling to pay his price? In a league in which having a franchise QB is so important, why is Washington willing to let their's walk and replace him with an older player they still have to pay decent money to?
    I could point out many QB's who it seems had a worse season than McCown, it means nothing if not taken with context. Cousins will be the highest paid QB next year, that is not fan or media rhetoric, that is the way the QB market works for franchise QB's. We have never seen a franchise QB come available in free agency since Drew Brees and that was for different reasons. This is a proven commodity just starting his prime, NOT a quick fix for any team.

I could go on a million reasons why Washington let Cousins go but all you have to do is read any article or basically anything on Twitter from a reputable source, it has zero to do with his abilities.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast