Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    By the way Kenny O’Brien was pretty good. But it has been 30 years ago.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

When did this become a story on Nascar. LOL. I get the analogies.

Here's my opinion on the whole thing.

1) Currently, the Jets have actually recently been investing their money wisely. I saw a website that evaluated all the teams bang for the buck with the current level of talent and the money spent and the Jets are 7th best in the league. The six teams ahead of them were all playoff teams, including the Patriots at #3 and if I remember correctly, the Eagles, Rams and Steelers were in that group. Why would the Jets throw out their disciplined approach entirely for a non-elite QB, just because he's a slightly above average QB? Therefore, I'd conclude that it is highly unlikely that they would take a $50 to $60 million cap hit in the first year and (since the second year hit must be at least half the first year (another $25 million to $30 million in the 2nd year.

2) The Jets will bid for Cousins, probably in the $25 to $30 million dollar range, primarily because they don't draft QBs well and have made some stupid selections recently and because they don't develop them well either. However, the Browns and the Broncos will also likely bid for him and the Browns can outbid the Jets and the Broncos can out mojo them. So, forgetting other teams (unless the Vikings decide to jump in), the Jets probably have slightly less than a 1 in 3 chance to land him.

3) It's a QB rich draft. If you commit to Cousins, there's almost no reason to select another of the top QBs. I'm sick of the Jets selecting from a weaker pool of draft positions, when stronger ones are available. They need to get decent players when there is a good year for that position. When there were tremendous wide receivers one year and they didn't draft one until only crap was left, they got what they deserved.

4) All that being said, I trust Mac to use the free agent dollars better than most, so if he feels that the dollars are better spent on Cousins than on the surrounding ensemble, we would have to trust him. However, that would leave some gaping holes that he would need to address in the draft and the team might need to do a better job of evaluating what's available in trade up and more likely down scenarios. I've already stated my preference to spend the cap money on a top Edge Rusher, an elite CB and another very good one, a top offensive lineman and a top receiver.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Cousins is 4-19 against teams with winning records.

That is not a QB who deserves 25 mil

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Cousins is 4-19 against teams with winning records.

That is not a QB who deserves 25 mil
    we could debate how much wins and loses fall on a QB, but for whatever its worth in those games the Redskins D gave up 30.6 PPG and Kirk had an 85 QB rating (down from his overall but every QB is the same when looked at against winning teams). He also had multiple games in these with over 100 rating ( I also think I counted 3 with below 70) he RARELY has a complete stinker.

The narrative is out there but is way overblown. Regardless of anyones feelings on if he deserves 25M or more, they are moot because he is getting it because thats what the market dictates for someone with his track record and abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsguy View Post
    we could debate how much wins and loses fall on a QB, but for whatever its worth in those games the Redskins D gave up 30.6 PPG and Kirk had an 85 QB rating (down from his overall but every QB is the same when looked at against winning teams). He also had multiple games in these with over 100 rating ( I also think I counted 3 with below 70) he RARELY has a complete stinker.

The narrative is out there but is way overblown. Regardless of anyones feelings on if he deserves 25M or more, they are moot because he is getting it because thats what the market dictates for someone with his track record and abilities.
    So what would Tom Brady get if he went to the highest bidder?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    So what would Tom Brady get if he went to the highest bidder?
    Interesting question, hard to say because it is a vastly different situation. Tom will be 41 when the season starts has been a starter in this league for 18 years. Cousins has only been a starter for 3 years and is just entering his prime years so a lot of his money comes from the fact that you can pay him on a long term deal and not have to worry when the wheels may fall off.

Tom is the best QB in NFL history IMO, so certainly could command the most in the league on a short term deal say 1 or 2 years.

The NFL works differently from a lot of sports, in particular the QB spot. Every new deal that is made, sets the floor for the next franchise QB's deal regardless of if they are "better" than the guy before them. Once Cousins signs his deal, Matt Ryan and Aaron Rodgers will sign deals slightly above what Cousins made and on it goes.

Last year I think Derek Carr and Carson Palmer were 1 and 2 in salary, obviously has nothing to do with them being the first and second best in the league, just has to do with when they signed a contract and how much the guy before them signed for.

Jacksonville is out.
    They just signed Bortles.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Jacksonville is out.
    They just signed Bortles.
    I have a feeling it is us or Minny at this point. I think Denver just has to do to much to make room for him and still be competitive. I am not all that sure about Minnesotas cap situation but they certainly are an attractive place for a QB, just hard to imagine they completely turn their back on all 3 QB's.

Only think that sucks about Minny is they do nothing for our draft position, at least if it was Denver one more guy falls to us.

They have 49 million before cutting Barr or Floyd.

If either Darnold or Rosen are there at pick 3, do whatever it takes to get either one.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsforever View Post
    Very interesting to see the people who are heavily against getting Kirk because of the money aspect. If you don't think he is a good enough quarterback, fine... but money shouldn't be the concern for why the Jets should not get Kirk. Money in the NFL comes and goes, any team that has cap issues is easily able to circumvent them and move along in a 2-3 year span, most times in the same offseason. As you all can see, the Jets went from being slightly cash strapped and up against the cap after the first Macagnan-Bowles year to having up to 100 million 2 seasons later. Money simply is too easy to move around in the NFL to be worried about how big of a cheque a player signs. It truly rarely ever has a significant impact on the actual team. Steelers are in cap hell every offseason and manage to be elite contenders every single year, for example. If the Jets give Kirk a big contract, the reality is that it won't be able to stop the Jets from adding necessary players to make a run. What would stop us from doing so would be his performance and drafting poorly, something we know all too well about.

For me, if I am the Jets front office, I do everything I can to get Kirk. For one, I believe in his talent immensely. Many people are saying he is fringe top 15 quarterback. I don't buy that from the games and statistics I have seen. Kirk had a great season last year... his franchise signed Terrelle Pryor to be his most dangerous outside target and he had an incredibly awful year. Besides that, he was left with a mediocre slot talent in Crowder (he's far from a Jarvis Landry difference maker), and an oft-injured tight end who is special but simply doesn't play enough without being knicked up. Doctson is still extremely raw and was being asked to do way too much in that offense. He also has a run game that is far from special and Chris Thompson--- Leon Washington Jr.--- was injured and took away yet another huge aspect of his game. All that being said, he still had a 64% completion percentage, 27 touchdowns and a fine 93.9 QBR. Thing is, that is a very average season for him. Kirk is what he is... incredibly consistent with difference making potential. I'd buy that considering what this franchise has had otherwise.

I'm not saying we are getting Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady by signing him. Nobody should be. But, at the very same time, we get the best free agent QB since Peyton Manning. And beyond that, there probably has never been a better free agent QB to hit the market (Drew Brees going to NO when he did was not as highly touted a player as Kirk was).

The draft is and will always be a total crapshoot. I've done a lot of research on draft trends and success rate and the reality is that drafting an average player is most likely. Finding a franchise player is less likely than drafting a bust. The idea that we draft a quarterback that is as good as Kirk is not likely. Hindsight is beautiful for assessing talent so I encourage those interested enough to go look at draft previews from the quarterbacks that simply do not make it. Read about Mark Sanchez and what the draft community thought he would be as opposed to what we had. Go look and see how many people thought Kizer would be a better pro than Deshaun Watson. He might still be but it definitely hasn't started that way. Yes, all Jet fans would love a Carson Wentz. Reality is that finding a Carson Wentz isn't as easy as drafting one of the top QBs in the draft and expecting it to work out the same way. Often times, it doesn't.

I take Cousins without thinking twice about Woody Johnson's pockets and do as needed to build a team around him. It's time to find a consistent franchise QB. For Christ sakes, the best quarterback in team history had his knees shot to hell and threw more picks than touchdowns, last playing for us almost 50 years ago. Let's do better.
    I agree with everything you're saying except on Brees, he was a VERY good QB in SD. He suffered a terrible injury and that's what ultimately led to him going to the Saint...and almost the Dolphins, dodged a bullet there

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    If either Darnold or Rosen are there at pick 3, do whatever it takes to get either one.
    I hear ya, but Rosen scares me.

I think there is a good chance Cleveland takes Barkley #1 and picks a QB at #4 which in all likelihood could be the #3 QB

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910