Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    All this talk about the Jets going hard after Cousins better be nothing more than a smoke screen. Maccagnan cannot be that stupid. If the Jets sign Cousins for anywhere near the numbers they're talking about, then Maccagnan should be fired immediately and the Johnson's should be forced to sell the team (I know, that can't happen, but in this case an exception should be made). I've said this a hundred times before, Cousins is a good QB and on the right team, could take them to the next level, but we have so many other needs that a 29 year old QB with that kind of price tag is not our answer. Anyone who thinks it is has no idea on how winning teams are built. Like it or not, there are no quick fixes. You need to build a team from the ground up, and that should start with them evaluating this draft's QB class and doing whatever it takes to get the guy who they think is going to be the answer for the next 12-15 years!

I was originally totally against Cousins signing. $20-$30M sounded crazy...

But we have seen time and time again, our QB draft picks have not turned out to be franchise players.... This team cannot go another 2-3 years without a proven QB. Our D is young, great and under contract.. giving them an offense, while Brady and Bill seem ready to hang it up, the division can be ours 2019-2022.... otherwise it could be a waste of top young talent..

Im not saying Kirk is Joe Montana, but this team hasnt had a QB in years. Its time to take the proven (yes he has proven he can win) starting QB.

FROM COUNTRY ROADS TO THE BIG APPLE .. FLIGHT GENO , READY FOR DEPARTURE

Quote Originally Posted by AYozzy View Post
    I was originally totally against Cousins signing. $20-$30M sounded crazy...

But we have seen time and time again, our QB draft picks have not turned out to be franchise players.... This team cannot go another 2-3 years without a proven QB. Our D is young, great and under contract.. giving them an offense, while Brady and Bill seem ready to hang it up, the division can be ours 2019-2022.... otherwise it could be a waste of top young talent..

Im not saying Kirk is Joe Montana, but this team hasnt had a QB in years. Its time to take the proven (yes he has proven he can win) starting QB.
    Totally agree. why not sign a QB with top 10 stats who can be with you for the next 5 years. Jets have enough money to add other players and plenty of picks in the draft. If cousins was on this team this year this past season, how many close games do we win. My guess we are in the playoffs.

Why settle for Mccarron. Evidently he hasn't proven anything. If he was that good he would be starting someplace. A combination of picks and free agency signings and this team can be very competitive.

My feeling is Denver will be his landing place, but it will force Elway to rid himself of some contracts because they don't have the money. I don't want a bidding war. I would offer Cousins a similar contract that Alex Smith got. I think they are on the same level. I am not believing jets will offer him $60 million for the first year or will pay anything as some articles are saying. I don't think Maccagan will do that. Mike Tannenbaum would if he was still here. Bottom line we will see in a couple of weeks.

Regardless we have no say, we just have to live with what decision is made.

Quote Originally Posted by lamonster View Post
    All this talk about the Jets going hard after Cousins better be nothing more than a smoke screen. Maccagnan cannot be that stupid. If the Jets sign Cousins for anywhere near the numbers they're talking about, then Maccagnan should be fired immediately and the Johnson's should be forced to sell the team (I know, that can't happen, but in this case an exception should be made). I've said this a hundred times before, Cousins is a good QB and on the right team, could take them to the next level, but we have so many other needs that a 29 year old QB with that kind of price tag is not our answer. Anyone who thinks it is has no idea on how winning teams are built. Like it or not, there are no quick fixes. You need to build a team from the ground up, and that should start with them evaluating this draft's QB class and doing whatever it takes to get the guy who they think is going to be the answer for the next 12-15 years!
    The only thing I could say about the Jets pursuit of Cousins is this: Mac. and Bowles seats aren't as comfortable as many want to believe even after the 2 year extensions and that they are being told progress needs to be made this year or else.
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    The only thing I could say about the Jets pursuit of Cousins is this: Mac. and Bowles seats aren't as comfortable as many want to believe even after the 2 year extensions and that they are being told progress needs to be made this year or else.
    We were told that making the playoffs wasn't mandatory. The Jets need a QB, they need to get one by whatever means.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

If we sign Cousins, Nelson would be a good 1st round pick. Then wouldn't mind using our round 2 picks maybe on one of the UGA RBs and a CB. We HAVE to bring in one or two WRs though, through free agency or trade.
    What's crazy is we have enough money to sign Cousins with a front loaded deal so it doesn't hurt us in cap for future years, and still have plenty of money to sign Allen Robinson and find a way to get Jarvis Landry too.

Even just signing Robinson and someone like Donte Moncrief is doable.
    Last edited by bklynny67; 02-21-2018 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    If we sign Cousins, Nelson would be a good 1st round pick. Then wouldn't mind using our round 2 picks maybe on one of the UGA RBs and a CB. We HAVE to bring in one or two WRs though, through free agency or trade.
    What's crazy is we have enough money to sign Cousins with a front loaded deal so it doesn't hurt us in cap for future years, and still have plenty of money to sign Allen Robinson and find a way to get Jarvis Landry too.

Jarvis Landry got tagged so its going to cost you draft pick to get him. Miami will have to pay him over $16 mil so either they cough up the $$$$ or look to trade to get a pick back.

Quote Originally Posted by afmanic:32187101

Jarvis Landry got tagged so its going to cost you draft pick to get him. Miami will have to pay him over $16 mil so either they cough up the $$$$ or look to trade to get a pick back.
    He'll play next season at 26 yo. I'd trade a pick for him, and a good pick too if we could get him to agree to am extension first. Looking at our history of drafting WRs over the last several years, there's little chance we'll draft one half as good.

I'm not 100% sold on Cousins, but he certainly closes a big gap and enables tons of flexibility.

In this scenario, I'd love Nelson or Chubb at #6, or trade back a few picks and get Mcglinchey/Williams/Brown.

I'd love to see us use our early second to move back in the first and draft another Ohio State center in Billy Price.

With our second second, I'd like Sony Michel from UGA

With our 3rd, I think Gesecki might be interesting

We definitely need something at WR, I'd like us to go after whatever high profile cut happens. I can see Jordy Nelson, DT, or Dez becoming available or if Landry or Robinson make it to FA

While I'm wishing, grab a FA CB, there seems to be a few good options out there

That's a pretty damn good offense:
    Cousins
    Powell/Michel
    DT/Anderson/Kearse
    ASJ/Gasecki
    Mcglinchy/Carpenter/Price/Winters/???

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    We were told that making the playoffs wasn't mandatory. The Jets need a QB, they need to get one by whatever means.
    I for one don't buy that. If the Rams can hire a new coach and go from 4-12 to 11-5 and the Eagles can go from missing the playoffs to a Super Bowl champion in 2 years, how do you justify keeping a coach and GM around that haven't made the playoffs in 3 years and are 10-22 their last 2 seasons?
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    I for one don't buy that. If the Rams can hire a new coach and go from 4-12 to 11-5 and the Eagles can go from missing the playoffs to a Super Bowl champion in 2 years, how do you justify keeping a coach and GM around that haven't made the playoffs in 3 years and are 10-22 their last 2 seasons?
    There is one thing they both have that we don't, and until we do no coach is winning here.

Quote Originally Posted by afmanic View Post
    Totally agree. why not sign a QB with top 10 stats who can be with you for the next 5 years. Jets have enough money to add other players and plenty of picks in the draft. If cousins was on this team this year this past season, how many close games do we win. My guess we are in the playoffs.

Why settle for Mccarron. Evidently he hasn't proven anything. If he was that good he would be starting someplace. A combination of picks and free agency signings and this team can be very competitive.

My feeling is Denver will be his landing place, but it will force Elway to rid himself of some contracts because they don't have the money. I don't want a bidding war. I would offer Cousins a similar contract that Alex Smith got. I think they are on the same level. I am not believing jets will offer him $60 million for the first year or will pay anything as some articles are saying. I don't think Maccagan will do that. Mike Tannenbaum would if he was still here. Bottom line we will see in a couple of weeks.

Regardless we have no say, we just have to live with what decision is made.
    There won't be a bidding war if the Jet want Cousins the only team they have to worry about it the Browns and if the Browns want him they will get him

Quote Originally Posted by Fleaboy View Post
    There won't be a bidding war if the Jet want Cousins the only team they have to worry about it the Browns and if the Browns want him they will get him
    just read this article which i was happy to, Jets not willing to let Kirk Cousins name his price

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articl...ce-502063.html

i would offer him somewhere around what Garrapolo got. i think that is what the market calls for.

Cousins may not be in the elite tier, but I think he's top 10. When was the last time we had a top 10 QB? Seriously?

Do we wanna bank on drafting a franchise QB and hoping he doesn't bust like most of our picks?

It's crazy that we have the cap space to sign Cousins, AND fill major needs at WR, OL, and defense all in the same offseason.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Cousins may not be in the elite tier, but I think he's top 10. When was the last time we had a top 10 QB? Seriously?

Do we wanna bank on drafting a franchise QB and hoping he doesn't bust like most of our picks?

It's crazy that we have the cap space to sign Cousins, AND fill major needs at WR, OL, and defense all in the same offseason.
    I would put Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, Rothlespurger, Smith, Brees, Ryan, Wentz, Prescott and Goff ahead of him. That puts him top 15 for sure and top 11 if you don't think other guys (Garapollo, Winston, Mariota, Watson) will develop this year and surpass him
    This is the dilemma. You are essentially saying that the Jets should make cousins who is, for sake of argument, a fringe top 10 qb, the highest paid Qb in the league.
    I respect your opinion and I get it. But no way in hell am I paying a guy who is not a definite top ten and not even close to being a top 5 qb, number 1 qb money.
    Do I think Cousins could win a title? Possibly but the team around him needs to be very good.
    Bring back Josh and draft a kid. Then invest that 30+ mil you were going to pay cousins on the Oline, a DB or two and an edge rusher. Roll the money over so that when we need to resign guys like Williams, we have it.
    The truth is, with the right team, McCown could win a title. If Dilfer and McMahon did id, so can he. lol.

Build a team that will be ready for business for 2019, with their, then to be second year QB. I'm not suggesting the team should be bad next year. I think with a better Oline, and edge rusher and a couple legit CBs, we have a shot to get to the playoffs.

The key is development of a young QB.

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast