Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Judging from the comments on this thread , Alex Smith will feel about as welcome as Kirk Cousins did in DC.

White Sox & Redskins Forever

Quote Originally Posted by coconut View Post
    Judging from the comments on this thread , Alex Smith will feel about as welcome as Kirk Cousins did in DC.
    Im sure he doesnt care. Rumors are he CHOSE to come here, over other teams like the broncos. Why? Because of our top tier receivers? Or our elite defense? Or stud running game? We literally have nothing to offer a quarterback, except money, which is precisely the problem. I know smiths exact thought process.

“If i couldnt win a championship in KC, ill never win one. I might as well go play for the Redskins because i know their owner will pay me a **** ton of money and i dont even have to play well.”

Hes not here to win, hes here for a payday that players his age NEVER see. This is literally Haynesworth 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by coconut View Post
    He will have made over $200 million in his career once this contract is up. I'm sure Smith cares about his welcome in DC.

I'm content to see how Alex Smith performs, I think he might be more effective than Cousins. And I am glad to be free of all the drama of Kirk/Kurt Cousins contract talk.

You guys need to wake up and look at what's gone on under Snyder to see this is business as usual, and it's about damn time that we stop supporting this team until he brings in a legit person to run the football side of things, and actually lets them do it. Stop with the puppets, stop with the yes men and actually legit build a roster. This organization full of leaks in the media and how they treat the people on the roster is horrible. Cousins found out the same way we did, they didn't even have the guts to call him and say we decided to move on, good luck. Lest we not forget how Kendall Fuller was handled, and the value placed on a good young defensive back.

My uncle played and coached for the Redskins in the 40's and 50's, and when they did the Top 70 team years back, he was a finalist to make the roster. I went to games with my dad on my uncle's tickets, who had them ever since he retired from the team. If I can't support the Redskins despite my family's deep ties to this team, I can't fathom those who are continuing to hang on.

Oh, and there are ZERO excuses for how we continue to throw darts at the wall to extend our own mediocrity while the Eagles were able to turn things around in two years and compete in the Super Bowl.

Look, do I like what we gave up? No. I would not have given up a great young 22 yr old CB that received some of the highest rankings and plays a position of need for us. I would rather have given up the likes of Doctson, or just a 2nd rd pick (or a 2 and a 4 or 5 even).

Do I like the idea of Smith and welcome him in? Absolutely. The Cousins situation was bad, and we simply were not going to get him in DC for a long term contract and if we did it would have been at the expense of our franchise.

Where we currently sit in the draft, I don't see us being able to get a franchise QB. I can tell you that settling on a 2nd tier, mid 1st rd qb just doesn't usually work out. This allows us time to try and throw darts at the dart board for a couple yrs with rookies and see if we hit a hr.

Let's be honest too....this is a Jay Gruden influenced decision. There was no way Gruden was going on the hot seat into a contract yr with a rookie qb. This is a chance to try and stay competitive.

The real question is-- What's next?

You guys were honestly looking forward to watching Kirk Cousins fail in the redzone and choke every time he faced a team with a winning record for the next 5 years. Not me. I wish him the best but I'm ecstatic we've moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by DC22 View Post
    You guys were honestly looking forward to watching Kirk Cousins fail in the redzone and choke every time he faced a team with a winning record for the next 5 years. Not me. I wish him the best but I'm ecstatic we've moved on.
    With the same front office, it will still be business as usual. With the Eagles having fixed their issues in two years, why can't we do the same?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    With the same front office, it will still be business as usual. With the Eagles having fixed their issues in two years, why can't we do the same?
    I get the skepticism and frustration, trust me I do. I've been a fan since I was a little kid in the 80's. The Bruce Allen era has been the hardest to deal with for sure.

I don't know if making the trade for Alex Smith was the right move or not, only time will tell. I do know we were spinning wheels with Kirk Cousins as our QB and that was only going to get worse with him crippling our salary cap. I without a doubt feel better about Smith being our starter next year instead of Cousins.

Lets not forget that a whole lot of people were picking the Eagles to finish last in the East this year and they're playing in the Super Bowl tomorrow.

Im not upset we let Cousins go. He has his issues and it wasnt working here for him, so thats fine, no problem. Im upset we went and proactively traded for and gave a huge contract to the one qb in the league least likely to help this organization in any way. We would be so much better off just letting colt mccoy start next season.

I would of much rather they tried their hand at getting Teddy Bridgewater or AJ McCaron. Build this team around a QB that’s still under 30 & can grow. Getting Smith will not fix everything. If he was such a world beater QB like people want to make it out to be the Chiefs wouldn’t of traded him (or drafted his replacement).

I don't think they drafted his replacement because of skill issues...I think the issue was his age and needing a new contract. I can understand why you don't throw $24 mill annually at a guy until age 38, and guarantee $60+

I thought it to make more sense to go after Bradford, Bridgewater or Tyrod Taylor myself. Those guys would have been free agents and would have been younger, cheaper, nearly equally as skilled and they wouldn't have taken draft picks or young talent from the team.

It also seems like we lost a good bit of leverage by making this deal before Feb 20th and the cap date. If we do indeed franchise Cousins still (I call BS), then why would anyone give up anything of value knowing we have to get rid of him asap? We already get a 3rd rd comp if he goes in FA, I just don't see us beating that value and we take all the risk

Quote Originally Posted by DC22 View Post
    I get the skepticism and frustration, trust me I do. I've been a fan since I was a little kid in the 80's. The Bruce Allen era has been the hardest to deal with for sure.

I don't know if making the trade for Alex Smith was the right move or not, only time will tell. I do know we were spinning wheels with Kirk Cousins as our QB and that was only going to get worse with him crippling our salary cap. I without a doubt feel better about Smith being our starter next year instead of Cousins.

Lets not forget that a whole lot of people were picking the Eagles to finish last in the East this year and they're playing in the Super Bowl tomorrow.
    I've advocated for us to do exactly what the Eagles have done at this point- clear house of the FO and coaches, trade some of our assets that could net us picks who won't be contributors 3-5 years from now and purge the rest and start building from the ground up. Patchwork off-seasons only get us to 9-7 or 7-9.

3 to 5 years is a career in the NFL..........

White Sox & Redskins Forever

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast