Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Redskins Acquire Alex Smith

I'm shocked......no details yet....

White Sox & Redskins Forever

Redskins signed QB Alex Smith to a four-year extension through 2022.
    As part of the agreement on the trade to get Smith to D.C., the Skins are giving Smith some long-term security, as he had just one year left on his contract through 2018. He's now under contract through his age-38 season. It very well may be his last contract. The Redskins didn't seem to have a prayer to re-sign free agent Kirk Cousins after burning so many bridges with their "franchise" quarterback. Acquiring Smith and paying him less was the next best thing.

White Sox & Redskins Forever

It's for a second round pick, plus more so lets see what the "more" is.

I'm thinking we are turning most of that $17 million cap hit for this year over to guaranteed money over the next two years, and then potentially be free of Smith in year 3-4.

In my opinion, this drastically works in the Redskins favor. Smith can still have us competitive, and we have someone learn behind him next season. We aren't overpaying at the QB position at that point, and have more resources to throw into the roster and can keep it together longer. Provided that we managed the contract appropriately, and with our cap guys in the FO, it's a reasonable assumption it is.

On the agreement in principle. Alex Smith will average $23.5 million per year in new money on the extension and $70 million in guarantees. Nobody will be able to review that contract for awhile because officially there is no contract.

Per Schefter and Mort on Twitter.

This is just dumb.

It's a 3rd pk and possibly a player named tomorrow. Hearing Su'a Cravens is the player. Nice deal, KC wasn't coming back and Smith had identical numbers + comes cheaper. My gues is he's here for 2 yrs. we draft a QB next year or even this year if 1 falls to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    It's a 3rd pk and possibly a player named tomorrow. Hearing Su'a Cravens is the player. Nice deal, KC wasn't coming back and Smith had identical numbers + comes cheaper. My gues is he's here for 2 yrs. we draft a QB next year or even this year if 1 falls to us.
    No way does $70 million guaranteed cover two seasons, that would be paying more than the franchise tag for Cousins this year. It's probably a three year deal, with the fourth being no guaranteed money.

The player involved in the deal is Kendall Fuller, who excelled in the slot for us and was rated the #6 corner overall by PFF.

Just when you thought it was all over.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    The player involved in the deal is Kendall Fuller, who excelled in the slot for us and was rated the #6 corner overall by PFF.

Just when you thought it was all over.
    Fuller tweeting that it's not him.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Fuller tweeting that it's not him.
    I hope its not. If he is the one being traded and he found out via Twitter, it's my last straw for this franchise with how ****** they treat people who work for them.

Looks like it is Fuller, ESPN is reporting that on their breaking news article. So he did find out via Twitter. What a ****** franchise this is.

Also, Schefter reported that, following the season and the locker clear out, the Redskins and Cousins had zero contact with each other. We didn't even try or attempt anything here.

Bruce Allen has got to go. At least with Cerrato, we were terrible but we respected people. After hanging SM out to dry for drinking, the whole Cousins debacle and having a guy find out on Twitter he is being traded, Allen is so much worse.

I'm not putting up with this anymore.

Following a perpetually inept franchise is a waste of time. **** the Redskins.

Fantastic comment from the Redskins official message board

“You’d think Bruce Allen would be so used to losing by now that he could stand losing Alex Smith to the Browns”

I seriously dont understand any of this crap

It's Bruce Allen trying to prove he's better than everyone else, and it's going to backfire. Apparently Fuller was the guy who made the deal happen......I would have walked away. There were so many other options, and we went with just about the worst one.

I mean, what other team has made a trade that's made them worse on BOTH sides of the ball, not to mention giving up a top 100 draft pick in the process? (Nice catch in the main forum MarkieMark)

Since the trade isn't official until the league year for 2018 begins in the middle of March, is there any legitimate way the Redskins could back out of this trade? I mean, I'd get the Orioles medical staff in here to do the physical and fail Smith if it was truly necessary.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast