Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    This nation needs a world war so we can weed out some of these people.
    What? Too yellow to take it upon yourself; you need to start a world war to solve your problems?
    Last edited by Crovash; 02-19-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    I mentioned previously in this thread that it isn't the logo being phased out or even ended altogether that bothers, but rather the precedent being set. I personally think Chief Wahoo is one of the best logos in baseball and it does not matter to me whether the Indians use it or not, but I am bothered by the fact that the people who find it offensive think that their feelings about it should matter so much that it needed to be changed. If a group of people don't like it, don't go to Cleveland Indians games or buy their merchandise, but their taking offense to it should be of no concern to the Cleveland Indians organization. I am opposed to the reason the logo was changed, not the fact that it was.

I also maintain my belief that any adult who gets offended by a sports logo needs to reevaluate their life.
    The Indians have to be concerned about it. They're a business. The last thing they want to be doing is ostracizing fans with unintentional racism. It being a cartoon caricature doesn't change that. Its not just about who it offends either. Its about what it portrays to baseball and non baseball fans in 2018. We're not living in the 1940s anymore where these type of things were acceptable so why continue to make it acceptable now?
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-02-2018 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    When it involves a sizable group of people that it largely misrepresents. Look, say whatever you want it being white guilt or people trying to decide for others whats offensive but if you were an American Indian and you saw that, how would you feel? Take yourself away from being a sports fan for a minute and think if a team with millions of fans portrayed your heritage as a dumb caricature. Again if it offends 50,000 American Indians and 1 million white people that's too many people.

Where as the Celtics and Fighting Irish logo don't seem to offend the quantity of people it probably should. That said, if it suddenly did (and in this case Chief Wahoo has been protested against since the 1970s), I would understand the want for a change.

The one thing I will say is that you guys continue to make no counter argument to why keeping a logo that is offensive is somehow merited over having one that's not.
    There are more Irish in this country than Indians and I am still hurt and cry nightly.

You have also not provided any counter argument as to why we should change the Celtics. It offends me and many people I know - the logic is the same. Do we need some big media companies to sanction our outrage?

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    What? Too yellow to take it upon yourself; you need to start a world war to solve your problems?
    No it just makes it easier and, more importantly, legal. Most people like you die of cancer or a stroke by 50 anyway, because you're so anal about words and feelings.

There are more Irish in this country than Indians and I am still hurt and cry nightly.

You have also not provided any counter argument as to why we should change the Celtics. It offends me and many people I know - the logic is the same. Do we need some big media companies to sanction our outrage?
    Was it the media that sanctioned the outrage towards Chief Wahoo or were they making people aware of the outrage they turned a blind eye to? Its easy to do that when its hard enough to find American Indians in this country.

Sarcasm aside in your cry nightly quip, if it offends you that much why don't you protest it like groups of American Indians were with Chief Wahoo? There are constructive ways to do that besides facetious about it on a message board. When more people are on board about the Fighting Irish and Celtics logo, maybe that will be an advocate for change. That said, I'm still trying to find all these people you are referring to offended by those logos.

Traditional white stereotypes are also not treated with the expeditious uproar there is for minority stereotypes. I'm not condoning that it should be that way but it just is.
    This is gold.

Did you really just break out a "That's just the way it is - I don't necessarily agree with it being that way but hey what can ya do" argument regarding racial stereotyping - after going on and on and on about how a different thing, that's been that way that thing is for a very long time, *must* be changed now, this instant, lest we go on another moment potentially hurting the feelings of those who don't agree with it?

Outstanding. Bravo.

Was it the media that sanctioned the outrage towards Chief Wahoo
    Yes.

This nation needs a world war so we can weed out some of these people.
    No it [a world war] just makes it easier and, more importantly, legal.
    You know, I think you should run for Congress on this platform. It looks like a real winner.

Did we already decide when Notre Dame and Boston are changing their logos? If not, why not?
    Because getting drunk and fighting is a thing we actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Because getting drunk and fighting is a thing we actually do.
    Same with a lot of natives I know. Maybe they are just pissed that Chief Wahoo is smiling and not fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    This is gold.

Did you really just break out a "That's just the way it is - I don't necessarily agree with it being that way but hey what can ya do" argument regarding racial stereotyping - after going on and on and on about how a different thing, that's been that way that thing is for a very long time, *must* be changed now, this instant, lest we go on another moment potentially hurting the feelings of those who don't agree with it?

Outstanding. Bravo.
    I don't see how its hypocritical. Its not like I'm advocating the stay of one logo and the end of another. They're both wrong but the Fighting Irish logo doesn't illicit the same type of negative reaction from a large group of people. Neither do you see groups of Irish people protesting its use or marking it as offensive. You can't just fabricate indignation out of thin air even if the Fighting Irish logo is another dumb caricature. There isn't the same type of urgency to change traditional white stereotypes as well.

And no it wasn't the media that sanctioned the outrage with Chief Wahoo.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-03-2018 at 01:46 PM.

This thread hurts my brain.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Yes.
    If by media u mean the Native Americans who protest outside the stadium during games then yes. the media.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    This thread hurts my brain.
    I second this

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy View Post
    If by media u mean the Native Americans who protest outside the stadium during games then yes. the media.
    If by Native Americans you mean white people who are 1/100th Cherokee.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast