Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 209 of 215 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,135 of 3220
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    So, I don't know who the DB whisperer is in the front office, but whoever it is they are still at it. The 49ers have a big problem with too many good DBs it looks like.
    Well Sherm won't be here forever, and I think this is likely Wards last one unless he goes crazy this year when/if he plays

I wouldnít say we have too many good DBís. Our depth at CB isnít proven at all. Ward has struggled there, doesnít fit the system, and I think he ultimately moves back to being the primary backup at FS and maybe being part of a special package. But, after Sherman and Witherspoon we have a bunch of undrafted, unproven guys, other than Moore who I like a lot. Tyvis Powell and McFadden intrigue me but Iím not sure how our secondary would hold up if one of our top two guys go down.

Same goes for SS, after Tartt we have a 6th round pick coming off of an injury and a bunch of undrafted guys.

FS and NCB are the only spots that have good depth imo. Colbert and Williams are entrenched as the starters and Ward and DJ Reed seem to be formidable backups to both spots.
    Last edited by CodeRed; 06-15-2018 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post
    I wouldnít say we have too many good DBís. Our depth at CB isnít proven at all. Ward has struggled there, doesnít fit the system, and I think he ultimately moves back to being the primary backup at FS and maybe being part of a special package. But, after Sherman and Witherspoon we have a bunch of undrafted, unproven guys, other than Moore who I like a lot. Tyvis Powell and McFadden intrigue me but Iím not sure how our secondary would hold up if one of our top two guys go down.

Same goes for SS, after Tartt we have a 6th round pick coming off of an injury and a bunch of undrafted guys.

FS and NCB are the only spots that have good depth imo. Colbert and Williams are entrenched as the starters and Ward and DJ Reed seem to be formidable backups to both spots.
    Young guys don't have a chance to prove themselves until they do. Last I counted there were 19 DBs on the roster and writers and coaches have been saying positive things about most of them. My point was that there is a lot of talent and potential at those positions the 49ers are going to necessarily lose.

The non-starters:

Mabin - coaches raved about him early last year.
    Reed - undersized DB who plays bigger than he is.
    Moore - raw but great athlete, coaches have been praising him regularly
    Jones - special teams ace who was contributing on defense before he got hurt
    Powell - rave reviews playing with the starters in mini-camp
    Ward - has shown flashes but undersized, often hurt, and expensive
    Griffin - has shown enough awareness to show up at safety, big, smart, solid tackler
    Moseley - I really liked this signing, quick, fast, smart, good tackler, good hands, good hips
    Goodwin - Shanahan liked him enough to claim him. BIG for a corner, fast.
    McFadden - stud in college, not fast.
    Exum - backup safety, solid but not special.
    James - Solid safety, got very good reviews last year before he was hurt.
    Williams, T. - Another big, hard hitting safety.
    Harris - stud in college, projected as the #2 SS, coming off an injury.

From that group there are at least 7 I'd like to see continue with the 49ers which means most likely more than half of them will be cut.

I think that Ward is going to be the primary backup at all five starting DB positions and also the dime back when we have 6 DBs on the field. I think that we would be hard pressed to find a team that has backups as good as Ward at each of the DB spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Young guys don't have a chance to prove themselves until they do. Last I counted there were 19 DBs on the roster and writers and coaches have been saying positive things about most of them. My point was that there is a lot of talent and potential at those positions the 49ers are going to necessarily lose.

The non-starters:

Mabin - coaches raved about him early last year.
    Reed - undersized DB who plays bigger than he is.
    Moore - raw but great athlete, coaches have been praising him regularly
    Jones - special teams ace who was contributing on defense before he got hurt
    Powell - rave reviews playing with the starters in mini-camp
    Ward - has shown flashes but undersized, often hurt, and expensive
    Griffin - has shown enough awareness to show up at safety, big, smart, solid tackler
    Moseley - I really liked this signing, quick, fast, smart, good tackler, good hands, good hips
    Goodwin - Shanahan liked him enough to claim him. BIG for a corner, fast.
    McFadden - stud in college, not fast.
    Exum - backup safety, solid but not special.
    James - Solid safety, got very good reviews last year before he was hurt.
    Williams, T. - Another big, hard hitting safety.
    Harris - stud in college, projected as the #2 SS, coming off an injury.

From that group there are at least 7 I'd like to see continue with the 49ers which means most likely more than half of them will be cut.
    They havenít even put on pads yet lol. And, youíre hardly ever going to hear of a coach saying anything negative publicly about a player. Hopefully we can find a diamond in the rough but most of these guys were UDFAís or waiver claims for a reason. I do like Powell and McFadden out of the undrafted/waived group.

They havenít even put on pads yet lol. And, youíre hardly ever going to hear of a coach saying anything negative publicly about a player. Hopefully we can find a diamond in the rough but most of these guys were UDFAís or waiver claims for a reason. I do like Powell and McFadden out of the undrafted/waived group.
    As a Noles fan, this kid is very good. Problem is our DC wasn't worth a crap. I do believe he gave up last season. To go from 8 picks to the year before to 0 the next year is crazy. But once again the defensive scheme was piss poor. He fits the system and it's great that Richard Sherman can teach him. He said that's the reason why he signed was because Sherman was here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    They just gave Tartt an extension. He's not going anywhere. Also, to call Tartt injury prone is absurd. He missed only one game prior to last season and his injury last year was a fractured forearm, which is a fluke injury that can happen to anyone.

While I DO agree with you...

Signing an extension in the NFL isn't a determination in where he will play.

Vance McDonald, Colin Kaepernick, and Daniel Kilgore signed extensions, and they were gone a year later. (if not sooner)
    2009-2014. 3 World Series Championships, 2 Stanley Cup Championships, 2 NBA Championships, and a Super Bowl Appearance. 3 No-Hitters, 1 Perfect Game, 3 NFC Title Games, Jim Harbaugh, Bruce Bochy, Phil Jackson, Daryl Sutter.

PRESENT: Lakers #2 draft pick (New GM, New President), Giants #2 draft pick (somebody better get fired), 49ers #2 draft pick (New Coach, New GM), LA Kings #11 draft pick (New Coach, New GM)

Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post
    While I DO agree with you...

Signing an extension in the NFL isn't a determination in where he will play.

Vance McDonald, Colin Kaepernick, and Daniel Kilgore signed extensions, and they were gone a year later. (if not sooner)
    This is why I said you aren't safe on the Niners. The way they do these signings is mastery. They take small cap hits the way they design the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by NinerNole View Post
    This is why I said you aren't safe on the Niners. The way they do these signings is mastery. They take small cap hits the way they design the contract.
    Yes and no. I'd agree on anyone extended pre-FA and draft, because the team could find someone really good available to replace them.

The team had a shot at drafting or signing Safeties before extending Tartt, which indicates alot more commitment.

How does everyone feel about the offense? I believe this is the shortest receiving trio the Niners ever had. Kyle is the opposite of his dad. He likes the small shifty receivers. Even our RB's are small. I'm curious to see how this works. I'm confident that it will work because of the type of scheme Shanny runs. I have to say I'm really impressed of the turnaround that is going on.

A lot of people hate Jed York, but I studied how this guy works. He lets the football people do all the work unlike Jerry Jones. Problem was he chose the wrong type of football people for the most part. Lynch and Shanny will get us back to the big dance sooner rather than later. Really excited about this season. I don't expect us to be a contender. But I do see the building blocks. I'm going out and saying we can be a wild card team this season.

Highest expections are sneaking in as a WC team.

I like the team as a whole we donít have any holes that will hold us back as of now (EDGE maybe). The only Knocks we have on offense is we donít have a tall WR and maybe OG could have been addressed a little more. The offense should be very explosive with all the smaller guys getting chunks of yards for us in space. Redzone will be the only area that we might have to worry about.

On defense the only area of concern will be EDGE, Iím guessing we will have a rush by committee early until someone stands out. Everywhere else I think we are really good. Our strength will probably be the middle of the defense with good ILB, DT, Safety. It should be hard to run on us. CB should be great if Sherman if 100%. The only thing that scares me is if we cant get pressure on the QB our CBís will struggle because nobody can cover forever. The only thing that will kill the season on defense is if the rush is horrible and Sherman isnít the same. Teams will be able to just air raid us.

Special teams could win us some games with better field position and a few TD if Pettis is as good as we all think and even DJ Reed returning kicks.

I donít think we will be undefeated but I think we will beat the teams that we should and will lose some games in the early part of the season. 10 wins isnít far fetched. Especially if you look at we could have won 8-9 last year if we werenít losing by 2-3 points at the beginning of the season. And if we had Jimmy those game they would have been almost sure wins.

I know the coaches seldom say bad things about guys, but they don't need to go out of their way to praise them, then the next step is when they mention them multiple times or multiple coaches mention them with all positive notes.

Josh Garnett likely to be cut as per pro football focus...

Baalke blunder, but this one is also on Chip... my god was Baalke just really bad at his job.
    2009-2014. 3 World Series Championships, 2 Stanley Cup Championships, 2 NBA Championships, and a Super Bowl Appearance. 3 No-Hitters, 1 Perfect Game, 3 NFC Title Games, Jim Harbaugh, Bruce Bochy, Phil Jackson, Daryl Sutter.

PRESENT: Lakers #2 draft pick (New GM, New President), Giants #2 draft pick (somebody better get fired), 49ers #2 draft pick (New Coach, New GM), LA Kings #11 draft pick (New Coach, New GM)

Quote Originally Posted by NinerNole View Post
    How does everyone feel about the offense? I believe this is the shortest receiving trio the Niners ever had. Kyle is the opposite of his dad. He likes the small shifty receivers. Even our RB's are small. I'm curious to see how this works. I'm confident that it will work because of the type of scheme Shanny runs. I have to say I'm really impressed of the turnaround that is going on.

A lot of people hate Jed York, but I studied how this guy works. He lets the football people do all the work unlike Jerry Jones. Problem was he chose the wrong type of football people for the most part. Lynch and Shanny will get us back to the big dance sooner rather than later. Really excited about this season. I don't expect us to be a contender. But I do see the building blocks. I'm going out and saying we can be a wild card team this season.

Basketball was always known as a big man's game. Whomever had the biggest would typically win. But the Warriors changed that, and now big are becoming extinct, as players just chuck 3's... It's possible Shanahan is trying to do the same. The bigger more physical out the door, and move to smaller quicker speed game. My only concern is smaller players in a big physical sport are likely to get hurt. So will these small quick guys last 16+ games? I personally don't expect any iron men on this offense.

As for York... Only winning will change his reputation with me. His ego interfered with Harbaugh, and for York and his parents, its the only success the 49ers have ever enjoyed under this ownership group. This is still a 6-10 team that's finished dead last in two straight years in the division, so they better win.