Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which free agent SP do you want?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alex Cobb

2 28.57%
  • Lance Lynn

2 28.57%
  • Jake Arrieta

1 14.29%
  • Yu Darvish

2 28.57%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If they are willing to eat a bad contract they can get a decent return

If I were the Jays I would sign to experienced starters with the money left instead of just one which has too many red flags.

My preference would be for the Jays to sign Tillman and Anderson. Tillman has had past success in the AL East, can eat innings and would be on a 1 year prove it deal cause of his off year last season. Anderson showed well in spot starts for the Jays last season. He could provide insurance and competition in the spring for that 5th starter role. Who ever doesn't make the 5th spot can be your long man in the bullpen and next up in rotation.

This would allow to convert Biagini to that 1 inning shut down guy to replace Leone in the bullpen. This is the route I would go.

Best case scenario it all works out and we are in the playoffs. Worst case scenario these signings work out and become trade candidates at deadline and turn into assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    I say spend to max budget and unload everyone you can for younger players. This team is probably an 83-86 win team if all breaks right. At the deadline you can unload Estrada, Happ, Donaldson, Granderson, Pillar, Tepera.
    Rogers needs to keep the team competitive to maximize the sale price when they go to sell. Although if they do sell, it'll be to Ed Rogers and it'll be a total left hand-right hand sale where the true market value of the team is disguised in a sweetheart deal to the majority shareholder. And then they can keep parading the Jays around like a small-mid market team instead of the cash cow it actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by The Analyst View Post
    Rogers needs to keep the team competitive to maximize the sale price when they go to sell. Although if they do sell, it'll be to Ed Rogers and it'll be a total left hand-right hand sale where the true market value of the team is disguised in a sweetheart deal to the majority shareholder. And then they can keep parading the Jays around like a small-mid market team instead of the cash cow it actually is.
    I think I am getting your drift, but you kind of contradict yourself when you say they need to keep the team competitive to maximize the sale price and then follow it up by saying Ed Rogers will buy the team where the true market value of the team will be disguised.

I personally think they are trying to keep the teem competitive so they can sell seats, jerseys and hats. With JDís contract being up tho, this trade deadline better bring a flurry of unloading if the team is not a legit contender. They canít afford to let him, Happ and Estrada walk for nothing but one draft pick.

Who's to say Estrada or Happ want to go anywhere? Happ has already signed here once as a FA, and Estrada has already signed twice.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Who's to say Estrada or Happ want to go anywhere? Happ has already signed here once as a FA, and Estrada has already signed twice.
    Estrada has made it very clear he wants to be here and with the type of pitcher he is, he'll age very well.

Not so sure Estrada will age well with his back issues. Tbh I'd rather he performs and then unload him for a good spec at the deadline. Could even still make him an offer in FA.

Quote Originally Posted by The Analyst View Post
    I dont know if MLB would allow that, simply because it would take down the value of all the franchises... Rogers would have to show the money for sure if he wanted to privately own it...

We can sign a guy like Cobb or Lynn (roughly 11-13 mil per season) and still sign a spec like Brett Anderson to around a 3-4 mil deal... yes you may need to stretch the payroll a few mil but will be worth it for depth.

I think we have enough depth in the outfielder now (Pillar, Grichuk, Granderson, Pearce, Carerra, Alford, Hernandez) and time to find some depth for the starting rotation...
    Last edited by Sanyo; 01-28-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Vargas or Garcia seem like decent backend options. Maybe even a guy like Buchholz on a Milb deal could be worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    What about either Borucki or Pannone? Both had great seasons and both should be able to throw 150+ innings. Couldn't they give us the same as some of the lower FA's? I think if they aren't going to spend 15M+/yr on a starter with potential to be in our top 3, than I don't think they should sign any of them. To get anyone worth acquiring they will need to keep going the trade route and give up a number of assets. Why not just turn Borucki or Pannone loose as the 5th SP for the first few months, and if they struggle upgrade at the deadline if they are in it.
    Imagine they will start in Triple A and provide depth this season in case of injuries. Might be up for a cup of coffee or two.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    Vargas or Garcia seem like decent backend options. Maybe even a guy like Buchholz on a Milb deal could be worth a shot.
    Vargas maybe...if the money is right. According to what he wants

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12