Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which free agent SP do you want?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alex Cobb

2 28.57%
  • Lance Lynn

2 28.57%
  • Jake Arrieta

1 14.29%
  • Yu Darvish

2 28.57%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which FA starter?

Which free agent starting pitcher do you hope the Jays land?

Alex Cobb would be my first choice due to his experience/success in the AL East, despite the more accomplished overall resumes of Arrieta and Darvish.

I like Lance Lynn. He is at least going to eat up innings, and could possibly pitch like a TORP. He doesn't have the same name recognition as Darvish or Arrietta, but he is another solid SP.

Who ever is left - similar to Lynn's last deal.

Seriously. whoever they can afford. i think you max out the budget now because i dont foresee a deadline where we are adding payroll. itll be a sell off most likely so spend now, save later.

There is a good chance none of those guys are in our budget though.

Anyone available in the next tier of guys who are interesting?

What do we have left to spend if the budget is ~165

If Arrieta were to sign the dotted line on a 3 year deal then that's my pick. The pitcher I want no part of is Lance Lynn.

I prefer Darvish but he'll obviously cost the most.

Cobb will be the cheapest probably but I think all those guys might be out of our price range anyway.

I bet it's more likely they bring back Liriano on a 1 year deal for like $6 mil and Hutch as AAA depth.

God I hope Liriano isnít the answer!!

I don't really see them going for top of the line FA's...its more their style to pick up a couple of lower tier pitchers for depth....like maybe an Andrew Cashner or a Jaime Garcia (I'm sure he'd like to get away from that short fence Yankee Stadium) then follow it up with a reclamation project like Scott Feldman or a swing man like Mike Pelfrey or a minor league starter/rp like Wade Leblanc.

Spending that money on one pitcher (who might cost a draft pick like Cobb) instead of spreading the money around feels off-brand for Shapiro and Atkins

Darvish is the only guy I really like. Lynn,Cobb, and Arrieta have too many red flags for me to want to go multi years with them.

What about either Borucki or Pannone? Both had great seasons and both should be able to throw 150+ innings. Couldn't they give us the same as some of the lower FA's? I think if they aren't going to spend 15M+/yr on a starter with potential to be in our top 3, than I don't think they should sign any of them. To get anyone worth acquiring they will need to keep going the trade route and give up a number of assets. Why not just turn Borucki or Pannone loose as the 5th SP for the first few months, and if they struggle upgrade at the deadline if they are in it.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    What about either Borucki or Pannone? Both had great seasons and both should be able to throw 150+ innings. Couldn't they give us the same as some of the lower FA's? I think if they aren't going to spend 15M+/yr on a starter with potential to be in our top 3, than I don't think they should sign any of them. To get anyone worth acquiring they will need to keep going the trade route and give up a number of assets. Why not just turn Borucki or Pannone loose as the 5th SP for the first few months, and if they struggle upgrade at the deadline if they are in it.
    Maybe that is exactly what they'll do...keep the flexibility in the budget for mid-season

Problem is they already said this team will suck without adding an impact player. Sort of backed themselves into a corner. I could see a reliever.

They wanted to get younger and athletic last year too. Also, they hyped up this new medical dept. and the team got decimated by injuries.

The year before, it was notoriously "bullpen arms too volatile to spend on". So we blow 15+ games within first 6 weeks. Limped into extra game 163 over Baltimore for final WC spot.

Getting used to the empty clueless messages these guys say.

Quote Originally Posted by The Analyst View Post
    Maybe that is exactly what they'll do...keep the flexibility in the budget for mid-season
    I say spend to max budget and unload everyone you can for younger players. This team is probably an 83-86 win team if all breaks right. At the deadline you can unload Estrada, Happ, Donaldson, Granderson, Pillar, Tepera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast