Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

McCloughan on Cousins: "I don't see special"

Add another twist for the Cousins saga. Essentially, McCloughan says he needs talent around him and a strong running attack so he doesn't throw the ball 40-plus times a game, and also says that if he was drafting someone, he would take Baker Mayfield who reminds him of a shorter Brett Favre.

Since we don't have anything else to discuss, I'm throwing that on out there.

Hes a good player, McCloughan told Mike Pritchard and Cecil Lammey. Is he special? I dont see special. But also, we were still building a roster around him to make him special. Jay Gruden does a great job play-calling. [Former Redskins offensive coordinator-turned-Los Angeles Rams Coach] Sean McVay did a great job play-calling to put him in positions to be successful. Hes talented. Talent is good at quarterback in the NFL. Hes won games. I know his record overall is not over .500. I know he has not won a playoff game. But hes competitive. He works his tail off. Hes so methodical. Every day he has planned out. Hes always in the building, hes always watching tape, hes always talking to coaches, he was talking to me. From the standpoint of the tangibles, theyre excellent. You just need to have some talent around him because you dont want him to be throwing the ball 35 to 40 times to win the game. You want to have a running game, have a good defense, good [special] teams, and then let him do what he does.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c42aacc85283

The more time passes ....the more I'm beginning to lean letting him walk,but, not a big Baker Mayfield fan. I'm also not sure McCoy can still play after a couple of years of no playing time.

White Sox & Redskins Forever

If we let Cousins go, whoever we draft with the forst pick should sit behind McCoy for a year and every other draft pick should be defense defense defense. 2018 will be a throw away season while we build up an elite defense. That should be the game plan anyway, when you got guys like Keenum Foles and Bortles winning playoff games it becomes painfully obvious that defense wins championships

Thoughts on making a play for Alex Smith? I can see Smith as a similar QB to Cousins. He would prefer to go to a "winner", but there has been plenty of Cleveland talk. We would be a more suitable spot to give him a chance to be closer to "winning."

I like Smith.......if Cousins leaves, I'd be ok with Smith

White Sox & Redskins Forever