Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

MLB’s plan to make baseball shorter

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports...mpression=true

Lots of details in here.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you wanna make the game shorter, make it 8 innings.

1. Personally, I hate the idea of trying to shorten the game. I'm a bit of purist in some fashions, the game never having a clock is one of my favorite aspects of the sport. There is no 'there isn't enough time left to come back'. Not that this threatened here, just in general, I hate worrying about that.

2. The general/casual fan doesn't care if the game is 2 hours or 4 hours (at the stadium, or at home). It's pace. It's the 6 minutes between any action that bothers them because of foul tips, throw overs to first base, mound visits, etc. That's what people get bored with (I'm not one of these fans). Hurry up and wait annoys people.

3. Pitch clocks and rushing things at the end of 3 hours aren't solutions, just like how MLB completely butchered instant replay.

There are simple solutions to both problems.

Instant replay - just have a booth umpire at every game that radios the crew chief when a call is missed. No NFL level challenge ******** or annoying uselesslness
    Time - Catchers can visit the mound once, hitters can't get out of the box unless a ball was fouled, maybe considered a throw over to first limit.

Done. Everybody happy.

I've also heard that "travel days" for teams could make the final series game a 3 pm local start time. I had a source who said that could happen this year- seems that they were wrong- but it makes sense when you think about traveling to a new city on the road after finishing a three-hour game that started at 7 pm local time.

If they did that, they’d completely ruin the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

This is f’n ridiculous. Whoever came up with and/or agrees with these rules needs to be punched right in the face.

These ****suckers need to stop this nonsense. Stop mother****ing the game with these "progressive" idiotic tweaks. The game has been fine for 135 years. Why is it an issue all of a sudden? Just leave the damn game alone.

When it comes to politics I'm liberal, but when it comes to baseball I'm a hardcore conservative who is resistant to changes to the game.
    Last edited by dodgerdave; 01-19-2018 at 02:29 AM.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    These ****suckers need to stop this nonsense. Stop mother****ing the game with these "progressive" idiotic tweaks. The game has been fine for 135 years. Why is it an issue all of a sudden? Just leave the damn game alone.

When it comes to politics I'm liberal, but when it comes to baseball I'm a hardcore conservative who is resistant to changes to the game.
    They have been tweeking the game for 135 years lol.

It's nowhere near the same game it was in 1885.

But I am not a fan of this proposed changes.

Different world... if baseball didnt fall so far behind in technology etc in terms of the game it wouldnt be as big of a deal right now... every sport evolves or dies and baseball is no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    They have been tweeking the game for 135 years lol.

It's nowhere near the same game it was in 1885.

But I am not a fan of this proposed changes.
    Adding helmets, making thicker gloves, breaking the color barrier, expanding the sport to the western half of the country, yes that was completely necessary. But it's gotten ridiculous now. Either people or like the sport or they don't. This pace of play nonsense isn't going to generate a whole lot more interest in the game. It's being blown out of proportion if they think it'll make a widespread difference in terms of TV ratings and attendance. Heck, the NBA could shorten the shot clock from 24 seconds to 20 seconds, or shorten the length of timeouts, or shorten the length of halftime, but it's not going to make me or many others more attracted to that game.
    Last edited by dodgerdave; 01-19-2018 at 03:58 AM.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

I don't understand why they want to make the games shorter. To me, the length is not a problem. I'd actually prefer to watch a 4 hour game than a 3 hour game. I'm sure there's a huge majority that feel the same way. Providing that we are watching baseball. Not watching the batter stepping out of the box. Not watching the catcher walking out to the mound. Not watching the pitcher taking 22 seconds to pitch the ball. Not watching the pitcher continually throwing over to first. Not watching managers crawling out to the mound to make a pitching change. Not watching pitchers that can't throw strikes. Not watching a player standing in the on deck circle waiting for his walk up music to start before he approaches the plate. There are many way to increase the pace of the game without changing the game. That's just a few.

Two ways to dramatically increase the pace of the game is already in place, and not enforced. It's the umps and MLB's fault for what they deem a problem. Enforce the 12 second rule that's been on the books since the 50's. They want to ADD 8 seconds??? Where is this logic coming from?? The rule only applies when the bases are empty, so it should rarely come in to play anyway. But it DOES remind the pitcher that nobody came to watch him pace around the mound or stare at the catcher's mit. Enforce it! Don't make the time longer. Stop ignoring the rule that a batter can't step out of the box without the exemptions. Start calling strikes on them if they do it.

To me, the things I've listed has prompted to turn games off. I would love to watch a 4 hour game of "baseball." Not all the crap players are allowed to do that literally stops the flow of the game.

The length is not an never has been a problem. The pace is a huge problem.
    Last edited by thawv; 01-19-2018 at 08:33 AM.

MLB’s plan to make baseball shorter

I care less about the pace of the game and more about its length. I got **** to do every day I dont have time for 3 hour games.

Like most people, players dont like change and whine about it when its not their decision, but by July it will be forgotten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

for the amount it cost to go to ball games today why would i want it to be shorter, I want to spend as much time at the stadium as possible to feel like got out the best out of what i invested.

If MLB wants a shorter game, they never should have juiced the ball. More offense equals more time. The hypocrisy coming from them with this is hilarious.