Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Who knows, maybe he gets further grooming to be an OC, even calling plays (since Flip hasn't done that either)...and yeah, Flip is likely a one and done.

I just hope Kevin was on board with this....he wouldn't have been calling plays with NYG.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

I love the move to get Flip and also block Stefanski. We all know Flip will only be here for a year more than likely but it gives Kevin another brain to pick. Kevin will be prime to take over next year.

Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    I love the move to get Flip and also block Stefanski. We all know Flip will only be here for a year more than likely but it gives Kevin another brain to pick. Kevin will be prime to take over next year.
    As long as we didn't piss him off by blocking a promotion. I gotta be honest, that has me worried that he will walk next year regardless of if we offer him the OC position.

Quote Originally Posted by logan44 View Post
    As long as we didn't piss him off by blocking a promotion. I gotta be honest, that has me worried that he will walk next year regardless of if we offer him the OC position.
    FWIW the Eagles did the same to Flip last offseason....and he had a pretty good year for them.
    I'd agree, tho. I hope the block came either with his blessing or with talk after about an expanded role.

One thing to keep in mind, too- the original reason they blocked him was because they hadn't yet talked to Flip, so they weren't gonna let Kevin go AND miss out on DeFilippo. Plus, the guy's been there 12 years thru several coaching changes...and is still just 35...so he likes the organization. My bet is they at least told him he'd be their OC in 2019 or allowed to leave then.

The Eagles have got to be a little irked at the fact that Josh Daniels not taking the Colts job cost them 2 of their offensive minds. Though I have to wonder if Flip would have stayed knowing that he does not get the play calling duties.

Quote Originally Posted by logan44 View Post
    My guess is that they probably gave Stefanski a head's up about their intentions and sold him on the fact that a year from now he'd be able to call plays here (which he wouldn't be doing in New York). Given his relative youth and various roles in the organization, it's not hard to imagine him going along with one more year of observation under the tutelage of another strong offensive mind.

Todd Downing will be joining the coaching staff as a senior offensive assistant. He’ll be helping with the passing game.
    2018 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Mike Hughes CB UCF
    Round 2: Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh
    Round 4: Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State
    Round 5: Tyler Conklin TE Central Michigan
    Round 5: Daniel Carlson K Auburn
    Round 6: Colby Gossett G Appalachian State
    Round 6: Ade Aruna DE Tulane
    Round 7: Devante Downs LB California

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Todd Downing will be joining the coaching staff as a senior offensive assistant. He’ll be helping with the passing game.
    Sure hope this isn't another kick in the pants for Stefanski...otherwise, I like the hire

Todd is another young guy who started out earlier with us. As much as we love these young guys in Flip and Kevin, they are relatively inexperienced compared to some of the seasoned guys like Norv and Pat. So I think it never hurts to bring in another guy to check things out. This could be another step in covering our needs for our future as well. Todd could move over into QB coach next year.

That's one thing I've really enjoyed with Zim. He doesn't know offense so he has surrounded himself with some good coaches who know the offensive side of the ball. Even though Norv did not work out I did like the hire at the time since Zim was a rookie HC, and adding Pat last year was another great hire. Even Tony Sparano, they all had HC and OC experience.

However bad a day it may/may not have been for Kevin......it wasn't as bad as it was for these guys

Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Todd is another young guy who started out earlier with us. As much as we love these young guys in Flip and Kevin, they are relatively inexperienced compared to some of the seasoned guys like Norv and Pat. So I think it never hurts to bring in another guy to check things out. This could be another step in covering our needs for our future as well. Todd could move over into QB coach next year.

That's one thing I've really enjoyed with Zim. He doesn't know offense so he has surrounded himself with some good coaches who know the offensive side of the ball. Even though Norv did not work out I did like the hire at the time since Zim was a rookie HC, and adding Pat last year was another great hire. Even Tony Sparano, they all had HC and OC experience.
    I agree on Zim. Bringing in guys like DeFilippo, Downing, Sparano, Shurmur, and Turner were smart decisions. Even a great HC needs help. Zim can help the O by giving his defensive opinion but he doesn’t know how to call plays or direct an offense. He’s sticking to his strengths and being the team leader while getting the right help. I really like our coaching staff. Zim, DeFillipo, Edwards, Priefer, Downing, Stefanski, Sparano, Patterson, and Gray is a nice staff. Kudos to Zim.
    2018 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Mike Hughes CB UCF
    Round 2: Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh
    Round 4: Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State
    Round 5: Tyler Conklin TE Central Michigan
    Round 5: Daniel Carlson K Auburn
    Round 6: Colby Gossett G Appalachian State
    Round 6: Ade Aruna DE Tulane
    Round 7: Devante Downs LB California

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567