Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Wings lack respect from NHL

Is it just me or does it seem the Wings in the last few years get a lack of respect from the NHL? It just seems the ref's and NHL decision makers just don't give the Red Wings much leeway as they do to other players and coaches. It might just be perceived that way by me but it sure seems that once Scotty and Babcock have been gone and now with Mr. I being gone, the league just kind of treats us differently.

I don't really think Blashill has what it takes to be a good bench coach and he is certainly too nice on the ref's to get calls his way. I also don't think Holland has done a very good job at all lately. The Wings really need to change things up because the path they are on now doesn't seem to be working. I'd like to see new staff in the front office and a new coach really soon. They have too much talent now and coming soon to waste anymore time with the current regime, IMO.

Am I wrong here?

They were on the rough end of a couple calls/no-call, but they were absolute ******* last night.

Fact of the matter is, we don't have too much talent, we have not enough talent. Hopefully we can add a couple nice players to our group of young players to make it into a true core for the future. Right now we can't assume any of our D prospects are #1s and even though Larkin has been amazing is he a 1C that can lead us to the cup?
    Anthony Mantha Breakout 16-17

Too be fair you do have to command some level of respect to get the ref's ear. It should not be that way but things are never going to be even in a man run sport. Guys like Scotty and Babs got calls their way because they actually won things and earned the respect. Blashill does not have that. He really seems like he is over his head as the coach, though I do agree with Ezekial that this franchise does not have a lot of talent either. Superstars get superstar calls, and while I think that is complete ******** that it happens that way, that is the case of the sports world. It is hard to get anything your way when you are depleted in talent. There are worthwhile youngsters certainly, but as a whole this roster leans towards the weak side. Bad teams are in bad positions on the ice because they are typically out matched by the other team (hence why they were out shot by a better Stars team). So, to me its a mix of lack of respect and lack of talent. Respect comes with winning and winning comes with talent. You can only coast on the past for so long, which is why a lot of the theatrics last year felt like desperate by the Wings (they were a marketing gimmick to an extent, to sell out the Joe for one last year).

I don't see any difference with how the team is being treated at all....refs make mistakes is the human error of the sport.

We have all called for a management change, but no one disrespects this franchise based off its current state, if anything its applauded how long we were able to stay relevant after the cap was instilled.

We lack talent at almost every position here, so I am not sure about your too much talent to waste? Outside of Larkin, AA and Mantha we have no youth (besides Bert lately) that would excite any franchise or make me think we are primed or a player or two away from any big run. We are 5 NHL quality D away from having "talent".

Also I heard someone the other night call Larkin a young Toews without a Kane...I don't think I could agree with that more...I have always been a Toews "Hater" by saying I don't think he is or is just on the brink of a top 10 center in the league, but I think Larkin has that type of 200 foot talent that Toews has to also put points up, he just doesn't have a superstar winger to pot them in the net...Maybe Svechnikov 2.0 is our Kane?

Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    Also I heard someone the other night call Larkin a young Toews without a Kane...I don't think I could agree with that more...I have always been a Toews "Hater" by saying I don't think he is or is just on the brink of a top 10 center in the league, but I think Larkin has that type of 200 foot talent that Toews has to also put points up, he just doesn't have a superstar winger to pot them in the net...Maybe Svechnikov 2.0 is our Kane?
    Neat fact. Larks is on pace to beat Toews' best assist season of 44. He's at 28 through 44 games. It's no surprise Toews is breaking down. He's a gritty two-way forward that has a wrist shot and a big net front game. Larkin is leading the team everywhere right now. Toews has been the second best offensively (Kane) at times third, and second best defensively (Hossa).

His playmaking really came out of left field this season. At first I've had the Toews and Carter comparisons. Now, I swear to god, his style reminds me a bit of Anze Kopitar.

I would lean Kopitar if he had a little more size. Kopi to me uses his body fantastically defensively thats what makes him so good.

I don't think his playmaking came out of left field after what we saw at worlds, but I def didn't expect him to be on this type of pace.

Wow Buffalo had the 4th biggest decline and still held down the 2nd highest overall

I don't think ratings have much to do with respect. Franchises can still be respected but have a lower viewership. The original 6 teams will always hold a level of respect and reverence amongst all NHL fans whether the team is bad or not.

Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    I don't think ratings have much to do with respect. Franchises can still be respected but have a lower viewership. The original 6 teams will always hold a level of respect and reverence amongst all NHL fans whether the team is bad or not.
    Early 2000s Chicago.

Good point...although I think there is a big difference between a franchise that literally could care less about the product they put on the ice for years and what is going on with us right now.