Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

2018 Dolphins mock offseason

Alright to try and kinda separate from news and what guys want to do figured I'd make another thread for that. Lets try and keep discussion of how you want the Phins to go about the offseason here and real news in the normal offseason thread. It always makes it easier to come back to this one at the start of the season and see who got closest. I'll start out with how I'd like to see it go down.

Starting Cap: $10,938,791
    Cuts - Savings
    Ja'Wuan James - $9,341,000
    Lawrence Timmons - $5,475,000
    Julius Thomas - $6,500,000
    Mike Pouncey - $7,000,000
    (Not touching Tannehill's or Suh's deal being we have easy outs in 2019)
    Cap after - 39,254,791

Signings
    Ja'Wuan James 5yrs 30M 10M guaranteed (Mike Remmers contract) - $6,000,000
    Justin Pugh 5Yrs 40M 15M guaranteed (Laurent Duvernay-Tardif contract) - $8,000,000
    Nigel Bradham 4Yrs 35M 15M guaranteed (Dont'a Hightower contract) - $7,000,000

Cap left~$18,254,000

Draft
    R1: Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
    R2: Braden Smith, G, Auburn
    R3: Billy Price, C, Ohio State
    R4: Troy Fumagalli, TE, Wisconsin
    R4: Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
    R6: Damon Webb, S, Ohio State
    R7: Ralph Webb, RB, Vanderbilt
    R7: Joseph Davidson, P, Bowling Green

I like it. Dolphins clearly need athleticism at linebacker. I don't mind the idea of playing McDonald in that lb/safety hybrid either. I'd go with Gesicki over Fumagalli if he's on the board. His ball skills are really special and I think he's a little overshadowed by some of the other talent on psu.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

I like Fumagalli being they fact he can be a three down TE because he can block.

The only issue is with this we have four LBs with Kiko still signed but screw it when need help there bad. I don't mind taking Derwin James either and using McDonald in that role.

I don't see Price or Kirk having any chance of getting out of round 2

Mock
    R1 Lamar Jackson QB Louisville - backup to Tannhill and starter in year 2. Tannehill gone in 2019
    R2 Martinas Rankin OL Mississippi State - backup to Jensen and starting OG/OT year 1
    R2 DJ Chark WR LSU (via DVP trade) - starting WR1 replacing DVP
    R3 Tyler Conklin TE Central Michigan - backup stud TE. the best fit to me after Mark Andrews
    R4 Shaun Dion Hamilton LB Alabama - starter when healthy
    R4 Jack Cichy LB Wisconsin - solid depth behind new look Hamilton, McMillan, Kendricks core
    R6 Chase Edmonds RB Fordham - RB depth
    R7 Nick Wilson RB Arizona - RB depth

Cut
    Lawrence Timmons
    Julius Thomas
    Ja'Wuan James

Trade
    DVP - for a 2nd round pick

Extend
    Cam Wake

Restructure
    Suh

Resign
    Damien Williams
    Michael Thomas
    Terrence Fede or William Hayes - whichever comes cheaper
    Walt Aikens

Free Agency
    Jimmy Graham
    Ryan Jensen
    Chris Hubbard
    Mychal Kendricks - will get traded or cut

I want them to resign Jarvis Landry but if they don't then go for Tavon Austin. Tavon, Grant, Stills, Chark, Drake, Lamar would give us a lot of speed on offense and a lot of diff looks. I def want to keep Landry though. just my top option to try to replace him if we don't
    Last edited by tunnicliffderek; 01-15-2018 at 05:31 PM.

Billy Price is 89th and Christian Kirk is 107th overall on CBS right now, that can change up till the draft but this is a mock for right now.

Kiko Alonso is an extreme hard cut/trade as he carries $13,162,500 in dead cap. Cutting him as post June 1st would only save 25,000 off the cap ($3,525,000 of dead cap for 2019) a trade would do more but not a team in the league is taking him on with that deal. He has the 6th highest cap for a ILB in 2018.

Andre Branch again is an issue due to his $11,900,000 in dead cap. A post June 1st cut would save 100,000 but again would leave $2,000,000 on the books for 2019. A trade would agian save alot more but like Kiko not a single team is picking up that contract. He has the 14th highest cap hit for a DE in 2018.

Tavon Austin is getting cut next year as a post June 1st - he caught 13 passes this year and has a cap hit of $8M

I will take a 7th for Branch and Kiko idc. someone might bite on one of them

if you trade Pouncey you can take a lower round pick for them to take 1 of them with him like we did with Byron Maxwell

It's not what your getting, its that no one wants those contracts. The only thing you might get is taking someones other bad deal for a change of scenery like we did last year with Albert/Thomas.

Pouncey doesn't hold any value, he has huge injury concerns and had one of his worst seasons. Plus he has a cap hit of $9M. Thats why I was cutting him, time to move on. Larsen can move over to C where he is better anyways and Price can replace him when he is ready.

Pouncey has good trade value as I think he nets a 3rd by himself

Larsen can't start he sucks. why I signed an actual good C

I don't think Branch and Kiko contracts are bad enough that they can't be moved. Maxwell's was much worse than both of them and many teams could use them

if we cant get rid of Kiko or Branch until 2019 my FA targets would just be Mychal Kendricks , Jimmy Graham and Ryan Jensen. my draft would stay the same and I would still resign Landry.

I just wouldn't get Norwell which is fine because with Jensen, Pouncey, Rankin and Davis I don't really need him. come to think of it if we got rid of Kiko or Branch I still wouldn't take Norwell. what I got is a huge upgrade on the OL already that he isn't needed so I will take him out
    Last edited by tunnicliffderek; 01-15-2018 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tunnicliffderek View Post
    Pouncey has good trade value as I think he nets a 3rd by himself

Larsen can't start he sucks. why I signed an actual good C

I don't think Branch and Kiko contracts are bad enough that they can't be moved. Maxwell's was much worse than both of them and many teams could use them
    I agree with Wrench. I don't see anyway someone will trade for Branch or Kiko. Branch at his best was a 5 sack DE, no one is trading for that. And everyone in the league knows how bad Kiko is because everyone targeted him for 2 straight years. No one's trading for a 2 down LBer making that much money.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Alright to try and kinda separate from news and what guys want to do figured I'd make another thread for that. Lets try and keep discussion of how you want the Phins to go about the offseason here and real news in the normal offseason thread. It always makes it easier to come back to this one at the start of the season and see who got closest. I'll start out with how I'd like to see it go down.

Starting Cap: $10,938,791
    Cuts - Savings
    Ja'Wuan James - $9,341,000
    Lawrence Timmons - $5,475,000
    Julius Thomas - $6,500,000
    Mike Pouncey - $7,000,000
    (Not touching Tannehill's or Suh's deal being we have easy outs in 2019)
    Cap after - 39,254,791

Signings
    Ja'Wuan James 5yrs 30M 10M guaranteed (Mike Remmers contract) - $6,000,000
    Justin Pugh 5Yrs 40M 15M guaranteed (Laurent Duvernay-Tardif contract) - $8,000,000
    Nigel Bradham 4Yrs 35M 15M guaranteed (Dont'a Hightower contract) - $7,000,000

Cap left~$18,254,000

Draft
    R1: Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
    R2: Braden Smith, G, Auburn
    R3: Billy Price, C, Ohio State
    R4: Troy Fumagalli, TE, Wisconsin
    R4: Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
    R6: Damon Webb, S, Ohio State
    R7: Ralph Webb, RB, Vanderbilt
    R7: Joseph Davidson, P, Bowling Green
    I think thinks the most realistic off-season as of right now. It would technically fill the major holes on the team and then go into the draft with BPA. Smith would get the Harris treatment this year and probably split time with Kiko. Then fix the depth at O line and have multiple options to compete.

The only thing that would worry me is that you're losing players in Thomas and Landry and not really replacing them. Even though I think Fumagalli and Grant could fill in just fine, I don't like betting on it to just happen. Gray or Derby could fill in while Fumagalli develops but it's hard to bank on them performing well. I'd also add a vet WR to that room. We've spent a lot on the WR position but they're all very young. I like the idea of Parker Stills and Grant as the starting 3 but I don't trust Carroo, Scott or Ford to be the backups. Also I have no idea how the team looks at the oline so I don't know what to expect there.

Yea still have 18M in cap in the mock but I also really like Kirk and think he could help replace him.

Kirk could replace him but he is a 2nd rounder. every mock has him there. Price is either in R1 or R2 in every mock

Fumagali wouldn't be able to replace Thomas as you wouldn't be splitting him out wide. he would be an ok #2 TE though

Smith would start. he is the only realistic part to me about that mock only he likely doesn't reach 11 its possible that he slips up before the draft

feel Ja'Wuan James will get a much bigger contract than that as I think he will get 10M a year and not 6M

overall its not an offseason that improves the team much. would be picking around the top 10 again
    Last edited by tunnicliffderek; 01-16-2018 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tunnicliffderek View Post
    Kirk could replace him but he is a 2nd rounder. every mock has him there. Price is either in R1 or R2 in every mock

Fumagali wouldn't be able to replace Thomas as you wouldn't be splitting him out wide. he would be an ok #2 TE though

Smith would start. he is the only realistic part to me about that mock only he likely doesn't reach 11 its possible that he slips up before the draft

feel Ja'Wuan James will get a much bigger contract than that as I think he will get 10M a year and not 6M

overall its not an offseason that improves the team much. would be picking around the top 10 again
    We need an off season, or a couple in a row, of building toward our future rather than going for a deep run in the playoffs next year. It doesn't work as this team has so many holes with a big ? mark at the qb position.

you can build and still at least challenge for the playoffs. my offseason competes and has a ton of talent for the future. the other added Roquan Smith talent wise and that's it and would be lucky to squeak out 6 wins. very minimal upgrades with downgrades in some places

that big question mark at QB needs to be answered because its not Tannehill. they need to plan for the next QB. you don't draft a QB high if you don't think he can be a franchise QB. I picked QB R1 and still managed to get a better LB core, WR core, TE core and OL significantly

I would be pissed af if all the offseason brought us was Roquan

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast