Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Landry is a great player. He fights hard and can make some insane plays. But I think it's a matter that he's the best we've had in a while but the fans don't realize that he's not the best that's out there. He's good but considering the cap situation and the needs we have elsewhere it's hard to spend that much money on a player that hasn't really carried us as much as some think.

Part of the problem with the offense is that I can be predictable in its personnel. When Ajayi was here teams knew exactly what we would run because he could only really run the outside zone and he could do nothing in the passing game. And we obviously saw what happened when Drake came in. I just think we can see that same improvement in the passing game from moving on with Landry. Having a slot that can do more than attack underneath would help. Plus I know people love talking about his 3rd down numbers and I saw a stat that he's actually well below league average when it comes to converting 3rd down plays. The only reason he converts as many as he does is because he sees so many options.

Welcome Back Sweet Prince

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    Landry is a great player. He fights hard and can make some insane plays. But I think it's a matter that he's the best we've had in a while but the fans don't realize that he's not the best that's out there. He's good but considering the cap situation and the needs we have elsewhere it's hard to spend that much money on a player that hasn't really carried us as much as some think.

Part of the problem with the offense is that I can be predictable in its personnel. When Ajayi was here teams knew exactly what we would run because he could only really run the outside zone and he could do nothing in the passing game. And we obviously saw what happened when Drake came in. I just think we can see that same improvement in the passing game from moving on with Landry. Having a slot that can do more than attack underneath would help. Plus I know people love talking about his 3rd down numbers and I saw a stat that he's actually well below league average when it comes to converting 3rd down plays. The only reason he converts as many as he does is because he sees so many options.
    I agree with you. Nobody on the opposing team thinks Landry will run a deep route. Landry is a pure YAC slot WR. But he is so very talented at what he does.

I think Landry at $12M per season is palpable for fans, but anything more is over-payment. And the majority of the fan base loves this guy, as do I, but for a reasonable price. His toughness and passion are hard to find, but a slot WR can be replaced. I think Landry is going to find his market right around where MIA is currently offering him. Will he decide to go somewhere else? Maybe. But I'm not going to lose sleep if he signs elsewhere.

If you asked me, would I rather have Landry at $12-13M, or re-sign Hayes and a LB like Bradham for the same $13M (or less)? I would choose Hayes and Bradham all day.

We'll see in another month what happens. Can't wait for FA to open.

Things I'm gonna watch for:

Will MIA re-sign Landry?
    Will JJ take a lower 1 yr 'prove-it' deal for $6M or so and stay with MIA?
    Will MIA finally take the plunge and pay for talent along the OL?
    What surprise cuts will come? (Pouncey?)
    Will MIA sign a back-up QB, or head into the draft having it a top priority?
    Who will MIA sign to compliment Drake at RB? (Dion Lews?)

Honestly I'm at the point that I don't care what the contract is. Either sign him or move on. It doesn't matter if it's 12 mil or 14 mil, that 2 mil isn't going to break the franchise. I'm right there with you that I won't be upset if we resign him but I'm not gonna lose sleep if we lose him. I like him as a player but it's just ridiculous that people have made him out to be this God of a football player. It's the exact same situation as Ajayi. Yes he's a good player and you don't want to lose good players, but sometimes you just can't make it work. Sometimes the players just don't fit with what you want to do.

getting the feeling Landry is as good as gone sadly

QB - Tannehill and Lamar (R1 pick)
    RB - Drake, Williams (resign), Ryan Nall (late round pick)
    WR - Dez Bryant (trade DVP) nobody is going to agree but my top choice to replace Landry is Dez. Ridley is the only WR I truly love draft wise but my R1 pick is already used
    TE - Gesicki (R2 pick) and possibly trade for Demetrius Harris. (I expect Goedert to be gone before our R2 pick but he would be who I preferred. If we could trade DVP to move up to get Goedert it would be perfect)
    OL - they supposedly like Jack Newhort + Zach Fulton. I'm ok with this. would also use a R4 pick here
    DL - Nathan Shepherd (R3 pick) will get in the DT rotation and give us the ability to move on from Suh or Phillips. need DL and with Davenport/Key and all the top edges going R1 I feel this is the best option. he is Davenport only for the DT position

Shaquem Griffin (R4 pick) + Tyrann Mathieu will give us 2 fast pure football players. Mathieu would be the new nickle CB and Griffin can also play nickle CB and OLB. Griffin/McMillan/Anthony with Mathieu will give us plenty of speed and playmaking cover ability behind the DL without needing to go R1 with Roquan

extend Wake another year and make his cap hit for 2018 lower

^^^^That is legit the first offseason I've seen from you that I am completely on board with lol. Only issue is that I don't really want to go into a season depending on Anthony at LB, but I guess we have Kiko so either way we're risking it.

https://soundcloud.com/fbgppodcasts/...uick-takeaways

via @FBallGameplan

he has DeaSean Hamilton as the top slot by a large margin so lets change this around a bit

1. Lamar
    2. Daesean (still sign Dez Bryant)
    2. Ogbonnia Okoronkwo ( with all the added offensive talent go defense here. this is the pick for DVP)
    3. Nathan Shepherd
    4. Saquem Griffin
    4. top TE on the board Ian Thomas, Troy Fumagali etc

maybe take Mathieu out and use that money on OL. with Okoronkwo playing LB Saquem would play the Mathieu role

making Dez probably the only expensive FA signing

I thought Anthony was our best LB last year btw

my current top 5 but first how I got there

Draft Needs Defense
    DE/DT - Chubb wont make it and he is the only one worth a pick that high to me
    LB - Smith, Edmunds, maybe Evans?? I feel Smith is the one we need more
    CB - not a big need. Minkah S/CB will be gone so no need to reach for this
    S - I love Derwin but Ronnie Harrison is the one I think we need more

Draft Needs Offense
    QB - Lamar franchise QB of the future
    RB - have Drake so not a R1 need
    WR - don't expect Ridley to make it past 49ers + Bears + no WR in R1 would I take besides him
    TE - too high for TE
    OL - don't see Nelson making it but Price will. groom at OG for a year and let Pouncey go after 2018

so top 5 (in order)
    1. Lamar Jackson - QB of the future
    2. Roquan Smith - I would move McMillan to the outside
    3. Billy Price - I feel like he would be ranked around same area as Ronnie. Edmunds might be higher
    4. Ronnie Harrison - I love Derwin don't get me wrong but when I think of matching up against TEs I think of Ronnie most)
    5. Tremaine Edmunds - by default. I don't want it to get to this point. I want one of those top 4. I feel Tremaine is basically Stephone Anthony maybe somewhat better. not someone that helps us as much as the other 4. someone will probably overtake my #5 spot after the combine.

player with the best chance to jump to #5 after the combine for me is Arden Key

when thinking of BPA and filling needs at the same time without reaching that's how I currently have it
    Last edited by tunnicliffderek; 02-10-2018 at 09:13 PM.

You might as well resign Landry. Doesn't Dez have a huge contract? I wouldn't even consider him.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

Dez would be 12.5M to who ever gets him in a trade I think for the next few years.

If Landry doesn't come off his asking price of $14M/yr, he's not going to be a Phin next year. I can envision the FO going up to $12M/yr, but not over. And I truly believe that they have offered their best deal already and haven't budged, and Landry's camp is refusing to accept the offer, and thats his right and they may win their gamble that a team will pay him $14M/yr.

I'd prefer to just draft a new slot WR, and spend that money on Norwell at OG. Norwell should eclipse Zeitler's contract from last year, so I'd go 5 yrs/$65M for him because I think he is a stud at OG.

If you asked me, would I trade Landry for Norwell right now, given what our team lacks and what each expects to get paid, then I would do it player for player right now. So in my mind, Landry is elsewhere and we finally have a stud at OG to pencil in next to Tunsil.

Heck, I may double down on the OL and go get Pugh as well. I personally think Jesse Davis can be a good RT. I think some people aren't realizing that 2019 is going to be our big year to make a mark in FA. This year is one big splash, maybe. 2019, we could be looking at potentially $40 - 50M in room, if not more.

new Dolphins mock (trade down in 2nd + gain a 5th)
    R1 Lamar Jackson
    R2 Uchenna Nwosu
    R3 Nyheim Hines
    R4 DJ Reed
    R4 Nathan Shepherd
    R5 Wyatt Teller
    package both 7s to move into R6
    R6 Jordan Akins

FA
    sign Larsen type level OG
    sign Benny Fowler
    resign Damien Williams

nothing crazy

Jakeem gets more WR reps with Landry leaving

lot of speed we can field with Jakeem, Hines, Stills and Jackson all being 4.3 guys. Drake also no slouch there

Fowler a cheap bigger body type WR

Akins, Gray, Derby the TEs

^^^^Speed is the number one thing we need to add all over the field. We tried to do it with Griers first draft and it's time we let these players get on the field. Gase openly admitted that he should have gotten Grant and Drake snaps sooner and it showed.

I'm really starting to expect us to draft a TE high this year. It's been the biggest thing missing from Gases offense so it's time to invest. I think Derby and Gray are good enough vets to play significant time if need be but we need to get someone with serious upside.

We need Speed on D mostly, and mostly at LB.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    We need Speed on D mostly, and mostly at LB.
    With instinct. I agree. Also, I should say to all of you that I am not much into the draft most years as I do not follow much college football. That is why I make very few comments on threads like this, but I have read every post since registering here and I do appreciate all of you adding your thoughts. It's what I go on (boards) more than the regular media because I feel like addicted fans have more insight on this team than the media who have a more general knowledge of many teams they cover, despite their usually false insider info.

So thank you all who do mocks and discuss tirelessly over every detail or scenario you can think of for our draft.

That's why the forums here man! All of us have absolutely no lifes and live and breath Phins. It's a serious problem and we should probably go see someone about it but hey at least we can all come and argue about Landry in one nice place!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast