Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Hawaiian residents receive false ballistic missile emergency alert

An emergency alert mistakenly warning of an incoming ballistic missile attack was dispatched to cellphones across Hawaii early Saturday morning, setting off widespread panic in a state that was already extremely anxious because of escalating tensions between the United States and North Korea.

Officials recalled the alert about 40 minutes after it was issued in a scramble of confusion over why it happened. Outrage was immediately expressed by state officials and among people who live in what is normally a famously tranquil part of the Pacific.

Officials said the alert had resulted from human error and was not the work of hackers or a foreign government. At no time, officials said, was there any indication that a nuclear attack had been launched on the United States. “The public must have confidence in our emergency alert system,” the governor, David Y. Ige, said. “I am working to get to the bottom of this so we can prevent an error of this type in the future.”

The Federal Communications Commission announced Saturday afternoon it had begun “a full investigation into the FALSE missile alert in Hawaii.”

The alert went out at about 8:10 a.m., lighting up phones of people still in bed or up for an early surf. “BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL,” it read.

People flocked to shelters, crowding highways in scenes of terror and helplessness. “I was running through all the scenarios in my head, but there was nowhere to go, nowhere to pull over to,” said Mike Staskow, a retired military captain.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/13/u...i-missile.html

Yeah, I have friends who lives there and it was an intense morning for them. People are outside and traffic everywhere. One of my bud who is stationed there said he went back to sleep, says there isn't a bunker to anyway if the target was their base and the fact that there wasnt an official alert. One of my friend who has kids were terrified. Straight to the bathtub and everyday was crying and waiting. Sucky *** morning.

This is nuts

Absolutely inexcusable. If ever there was a reason to terminate someone's job...

1934 • 1938 • 1961 • 2010 • 2013 • 2015

This reminds me of an incident from about 25 or 30 years ago. There was a pretend emergency training test that said Rockford IL (where I live) was destroyed by a tornado. Somehow, the message was heard by the public (like with the Hawaii incident). People living here obviously knew better, but there were some people in nearby towns who thought it was real, and thought their friends and/or relatives were killed.

That hypothetical scenario was strange to begin with. Rockford isn't real big, but it's spread out. It would take a very powerful F5 tornado that stays on the ground a long time for the whole town to be wiped out. That's very unlikely.

It was just a ploy by Bellicheck to rattle Marriota.

Not capable? Please, I'm BDN homie..

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    It was just a ploy by Bellicheck to rattle Marriota.
    LOL. Speaking of Honolulu native Marcus Mariota, I wonder when the Chip Kelly to the Titans rumors and speculation will start (now that Mularkey is gone).
    Last edited by MidwestJimmy; 01-16-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
    LOL. Speaking of Honolulu native Marcus Mariota, I wonder when the Chip Kelly to the Titans rumors and speculation will start (now that Mularkey is gone).
    I think he's going to be quite content at UCLA.

Not capable? Please, I'm BDN homie..

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    I think he's going to be quite content at UCLA.
    Oh yeah, I forgot. I don't follow college anymore.